Ways to Play GBA on 3DS

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I've heard you can play GBA roms on 3DS. Anybody here have any experience with it? What flash carts do you recommend?

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
Only a very select few flash cards are even booting on 3DS, IF you can get one booting you are then limited to DS mode only. Because DS mode excludes the ARM7 CPU (what GBA games use) for main program (DS uses it for sound) code, the only way I can think of would be some type of recompilation. Essentially a patcher, converting the *.gba to be a *.gba.nds and relinking the calls so it could run on the ARM9 CPU? This is merely a theory however, and in no way should be taken as solid fact. To date I don't believe its possible.

*Edit* I stand corrected, people say the DSTwo card can and will run them. It is able to do this because it has onboard processing.

Last edited:
That flash card looks nice. Apparently it has an onboard CPU for playing GBA / SNES games.

Anyone know how to dump GBA roms? I'd rather dump my own than scour the internets for stuff.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
That flash card looks nice. Apparently it has an onboard CPU for playing GBA / SNES games.

Anyone know how to dump GBA roms? I'd rather dump my own than scour the internets for stuff.

You need a linker of some kind, mines usb but many others are serial port.

xarcade

Quiz Detective
Get a Flash Advance Linker Xtreme for backing up your GBA carts.

Also found out the DSTWO doesn't support all GBA games. There's a compatibility list on gbatemp.net.

Last edited: