What Fighting Games are you playing ATM?

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
3rdS has always been good in my book, I can give three shits about Evo's preference, hell not even two, not two shits. I like all the SF games except for the first, I wouldn't play that even if it was the only SF game ever made.

Fuck "moment #37". Just play what you like. I enjoy all of the iterations of Alpha and SFIII equally. Every one of them has something to offer.

I agree wholeheartedly. I'm actually a big 2nd Impact fan despite its flaws. I was merely providing perspective on why so many people suck 3rd Strike's dick nowadays and Alpha 3 has been largely forgotten by comparison (both within the fighting game community and among more casual players) when the exact opposite was true upon their release.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I dunno about you but 3rdS was hotcakes when it came out. I know New Generation wasn't loved but it still kept the ball rolling. 2ndI was received well too. I love 2ndI's OST and Backgrounds better than 3rdS, I wish 3rdSO had those stages added to it, what a shame, all 3 games stages should have been added. Alpha 3 was a storm 'cause of the times, CPS2 was the shit back then (and still is) the sprites where current and vivid, the music was off the hook, Alpha 3 has a lot of good stuff to keep you coming back. 3rdS is more focused, less fan service but lots of tremendous depth to make up for it.

I love both, equally.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ Honestly 3rd Strike wasn't well received. I had a blast with a bunch of friends playing it on DC, but the casual gamer couldn't get over all the new faces. I thought it was a B.S. excuse.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
SFIII started rough with NG, people didn't care, then 2ndI gathered some momentum but 3rdS was well received in the arcades. I'm talking about the arcades, not the ports. WTF did you live in a bubble or something?

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I only saw NG in the arcades. No arcades would touch CPS3 after NG. I was all over the FG scene when it came out, but Chicago at the time would rather play Mahvel. Actually read Evo Moment 37 if you get a chance they paint a different scene in So Cal for 3rd Strike. Considering it was nicknamed Strike Three.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Not down where I lived, Miami was hot for 3rdS, Marvel was always hot from day one. I'm gonna be honest, during those times I was never much into a scene or nothing, I'm still not. All I did was come to the arcade and play my games, always looking for that bigger fish in order to learn something. I'm talking from experience, not some article, not someone else's experience, nor someone else's review, I'm talking from memories of lines and arcades being full of people. 3rdS always had a crowd, regardless of what evo was at the time, hell I didn't know about evo until I joined this place, don't know what to tell you. SO maybe I was in a bubble and you were well informed on the "scene" oh yeah, pfft.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Different places went for different things. Chicago's Tekken Scene Fizzled out after Tag but when I moved to Stl all they wanted to play was Marvel 2 and Tekken 5DR. Hell I practically had to beg people to play Neo Geo games in Chicago, but if you hung out on the west side the Mexican community was hardcore into SNK.

I'm not saying nobody played 3rd Strike. The problem we had was nobody wanted to buy CPS3 boards. Sticking with CPS2 or later switching to Naomi was considered a safer bet. It kinda sucked because the 1st time I actually played on a 3rd Strike Cabinet was only a few years ago. Personally I'm a little envious you had a scene for 3rd Strike in the arcades.

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
In the Capcom world I think the VS games maintained more steam through their sequels than either the alphas or any SF3 version. The arcades in Houston (RIP) always had the volume on those turned up and people went nuts for that.

Also, I think the top money makers at the time were 3d fighting games. I remember the big showcase cabinets always had a Tekken or soul edge/caliber. Maybe not so much VF though.

In my memory, there just wasn't any room for any SF3 games. I honestly don't really ever remember seeing a 3rd strike cab in the wild.

It's really interesting hearing about other cities' arcade scenes before the Internet. People should post more about that.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Back in my homeland Cali Colombia S.A. SNK was also hot. When Fatal Fury Special hit the arcades everyone was floored, Samsho II was probably the biggest hit. Street Fighter II updates were also a big deal and of course all the hacks (Rainbow, Red Wave, etc.) When I came to USA the big deal was Super Turbo, and Children of the Atom was just released, crazy people watching and making lines for CotA but the real deal players stuck with ST, even during Alpha (I love all 3), ST gathered more people until Alpha 2 came out and then all hell broke loose with the VS series, MSH never saw much action 'cause it was released in between all the VS games which were definitely all the rage.

Tekken 3/Tag players were usually a bunch of Asian prima donnas, the all used to dress like Hwaorang on a social evening event, we used to call them Tekken Stars, just for fun, Tekken was cool I always liked it but never cared for the crowd. I remember SFIIING being ignored sitting next to Rival Schools and Beastorizer/Bloody Roar. Once 2ndI came out people started flocking towards it and then 3rdS was like godsend, everyone was eager to play with Chun-Li.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
Been playing KoF2003 for the first time ever this week. I'm a fan of the switching mechanism implemented. The gameplay feels much faster than older KoF titles in comparison.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I've been playing Battle Monsters on the saturn.

I don't know why it took me so long to try this game.

I think it's my favorite Mortal Kombat rip-off yet (Next to Survival Arts, which is the spiritual prequel to BM).

Stupidly easy high damage juggles, awesome soundtrack (Yoshio Nagashima of BioMetal "fame"), extreme kitsch.

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Been playing 3rd Strike a lot. Running into a ton of level 50 beasts online. Also been trying to get games in on GGXrd. Trying to learn other characters. May has been interesting to pick up.

When I came to USA the big deal was Super Turbo, and Children of the Atom was just released, crazy people watching and making lines for CotA but the real deal players stuck with ST, even during Alpha (I love all 3), ST gathered more people until Alpha 2 came out and then all hell broke loose with the VS series, MSH never saw much action 'cause it was released in between all the VS games which were definitely all the rage.

You know I feel bad. the 2nd paragraph about Tekken prima donnas was making me roll so hard I didn't even notice the 1st. In all honesty I didn't see X-Men COTA at many arcades when it came out. the ones that is was there was limited attention to it cause of Mortal Kombat was still the rage (this was Chicago). Now when X-Men vs Street Fighter came out all that got thrown out the window and everybody flocked to it. Marvel vs Street Fighter was an even bigger hit with the assists. I remember it had WAY more action then SFIIING (not that it really had any action), Tekken 3, or SFA2. At the time when our crew came in we could have taken over any machine EXCEPT MvlvSF.

Last edited:

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
I just finished playing Fatal Fury, what a great game. There were a few things that stood out for me:
- progressive backgrounds (each stage changed after each round)
- strict controls? (I couldn't perform the special moves consistently, but I have no problems in other fighters)
- cool ending

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
- strict controls? (I couldn't perform the special moves consistently, but I have no problems in other fighters)

Fatal Fury was different. Most fighting games you hit the button when you get to the final motion. For example a hadoken would be dwn, df, fwd + P. The forward and punch are done at the same time.

In Fatal Fury Terry's Power wave is similar. Dwn, df, fwd, P. Instead of hitting forward and punch at the same time, you need to finish forward then hit punch.

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
Fatal Fury was different. Most fighting games you hit the button when you get to the final motion. For example a hadoken would be dwn, df, fwd + P. The forward and punch are done at the same time.

In Fatal Fury Terry's Power wave is similar. Dwn, df, fwd, P. Instead of hitting forward and punch at the same time, you need to finish forward then hit punch.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot!

I finished another fighter yesterday: Art of Fighting.

Man... those are some big sprites!!! The gameplay seemed clunky to me, but I still enjoyed the game. Every time my fighter defeated his foe, I laughed as he drove the bike to the next fight. The ending cinematic was cool, but ending on a cliffhanger!?!?!?

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
got together with 100proof and some of his buddies to play some DC goodness last weekend. Project Justice got the most play. Hands down my favorite 3D fighter just for sheer ridiculousness.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
got together with 100proof and some of his buddies to play some DC goodness last weekend. Project Justice got the most play. Hands down my favorite 3D fighter just for sheer ridiculousness.

Moogz. Our HF show down at KP's inspired me to get my own HF board. Next time you're out west, I'm up for a rematch. ;)

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Moogz. Our HF show down at KP's inspired me to get my own HF board. Next time you're out west, I'm up for a rematch. ;)

I accept your challenge sir! and I hope to fight you at something I'm a little more proficient in as well, like Alpha 2 or last blade 2 :D I am srsly gonna try to head out your way next year. Roger and I have been doing this long distance gay-affair things for far too long anyway.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I played SamSho II for the first time in years yesterday. It's amazing how impressive that game still is 20+ years later.

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I am playing Fatal Fury 3 at the moment but I am thinking about getting into King of Fighters XIII. I think North Carolina has a decent scene for it and the net code on steam isn't so bad depending on who you are matched up with.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
been playing kof 96 and sam sho 2 and 5 latley