AES Clear Protective Cases

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Unless you're having issues with people spontaneously ejaculating when they see your glorious collection, I don't see the need for it.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
These are a complete and utter joke, home carts stay well protected on a shelf. The only point I can see is if you are shipping carton box or old style case games, so that they stay intact. I got one last year, and I threw the "protector" in the bin.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Unless you're having issues with people spontaneously ejaculating when they see your glorious collection, I don't see the need for it.

I have pets and a little girl, and I actually like to play my stuff instead of sealing it in a vault. I see the need.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I have pets and a little girl, and I actually like to play my stuff instead of sealing it in a vault. I see the need.

Dude, your gerbil's going to chew right through that protective case anyways. I'd leave everything in the vault.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I agree, $3 each is pretty steep for just folded plastic. It probably only costs less than $0.25 per unit for production, of course ebay and paypal fees probably skyrocket that margin.

there are probably tons of machining costs to factor in as well. the molds can be 10's of thousands of dollars. That needs to be recouped.

dan3skate

Quiz Detective
I like these cases, I have them on all of my aes games. They help prevent shelf wear to the plastic and keep the art inserts from getting impression marks from handling (for snap lock games).. I doubt the die cost 10's of thousands to make these but it probably was over a grand. Remember these are die cut layers, heat stamped for the bend seems and glued on the one side. The gluing is probably a manual operation. These also ship with tissue paper inbetween the layers to help keep their shine. My guess would be that the guy is doubling his money before shipping if I had to guess. With respect to the cost of the snes cases I believe this is accurate. On a side note, the snes plastic cases that I have seen cause the boxes to bow over time. Their is no clearance for the box thickness.. I know as my N64 sealed majoras mask and battletoads snes both did the same thing. They at one time had perfectly tight square corners, then they bowed out after being put in the protective cases.

Last edited:

carnicero27

Mega Shock!!
i never saw that was box protectors for neo geo cartridges. i have this style for my super famicom games and works perfect!! i think i will buy that boxes to protect neo geo games :D

8man

Administrator
Bought 400 of these back in 2007. Here's the original Link.

5 years later... I need to order 200+ more cases.
(ummm... bought a few more AES games :drool_2:)

After 5 years, no problem whatsoever with the cases.

• Keeps the dust off
  • Stops finger impressions "dents" on the inserts of snap cases
  • Keeps messy finger prints, dirt, and slime off the original SNK case
  • Looks really nice when they are lined up!!
  • Easy to open and close when you want to play a game

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
PVC is not archival safe though. As it ages, it releases hydrochloric acid, degrading what you'd intended to protect. Sticking with PET is better in the long-run.

Regarding Roger's clear cases, the only issues I've run into:
* Once in a while (say, every 15 cases) one or two will split at a seam as you're folding it into shape (he was awesome about making up for it in the following batch though). :)
* Since homecart case sizes are inconsistent, some games fit pretty tight in the clear protectors. This makes top flaps bulge and/or game removal difficult in such instances.
* Protectors stick to case windows in spots. When the game is removed this leaves divots in the plastic window. Maybe not a huge deal, but probably permanent.

Overall I think the pros outweigh the cons if you're careful about how you load/unload your games.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
These are not for me

So let me get this straight.....The case you buy to protect your AES case and insert may actually damage your AES case and insert?.....Really?

BINGO.
And that is exactly what happened to me.

I bought a game on ebay that just happened to come with one of these cases. (really the only reason I came into one of them at all) Long story short, I didn't know you had to be "careful" when you insert the games inside them and I literally damaged the plastic and the insert of one of my home carts when I used it.

I was pretty disappointed.

They may be ideal for some collectors out there, and to each his own, but for me personally, I have no interest in them. Plus since I actually play my games often, they would just get in my way anyhow.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
The next step is a case over that plastic case, that is already over your AES case.

Only when your AES collection is a fucking tribute to Matryoshka dolls, will you TRULY be a big timer.

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Plus since I actually play my games often, they would just get in my way anyhow.

Not trolling but out of interest do you actually play the AF3 homecart you have?

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I think I have trolled too much, turning over a new leaf.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Not trolling but out of interest do you actually play the AF3 homecart you have?

If you have to start a sentence with "Not trolling but...", you're most likely trolling. XD

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
BINGO.
And that is exactly what happened to me.

I bought a game on ebay that just happened to come with one of these cases. (really the only reason I came into one of them at all) Long story short, I didn't know you had to be "careful" when you insert the games inside them and I literally damaged the plastic and the insert of one of my home carts when I used it.

I was pretty disappointed.

They may be ideal for some collectors out there, and to each his own, but for me personally, I have no interest in them. Plus since I actually play my games often, they would just get in my way anyhow.

I agree. I bought a few of these for my aes games and ended up cutting the flaps off because they were digging into the insert. I only use them now because I bought them but could live without them. If your collector and want to protect your games, just use ziplock bags.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Ziplock bags not good enough for you lot? Pff.

One has to be careful with ziplock bags. A lot of them will yellow and release chloride gas that damages stuff.

Just make sure to get some polypropolene/mylar/archival type stuff if you are that serious.