Phantom-1
MVS Convertor II
Daedalus

Who is the best?

Greetings!

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Daedalus wins for compatibility.
Super MVS Converter II for price & maybe the easiest to get ahold of.
Phantom-1 I guess for a compromise between price & compatibility.

Just my opinions.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

Hypnos

War Room Troll
Thanks guys...

I have a MVS Convertor II... I going to sell him and buy a Daedalus Soon...

Neo Store, keep a Daedalus for me!

snkmiami

New Challenger
I had a super mvs convertor II it was god but had a horrible scaling problem i just bought the daedalus from the neo store and i have to say is great is expensive but is worth it.
I had a multicart never worked with the mvs converter 2 from 108 games only 4 were playable without bugs or other issues.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
How does a Phantom-1 (modded with the P1 chip) compare to the Daedalus? Is the only issue that you can't play some games? Is is it the same as the Daedalus (as far as having less graphical issues than the unmodded Phantom-1/ Super MVS 2)?

Chukka

n00b
Can the adapters hurt the AES consoles in anyway? Has anyone heard of such a thing? I have been warned about using MVS to AES adapters because they might hurt the console. Any truth to this?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Can the adapters hurt the AES consoles in anyway? Has anyone heard of such a thing? I have been warned about using MVS to AES adapters because they might hurt the console. Any truth to this?

They can if the user is careless. The phantom-1 can cause serious damage since it has no shell to keep it from swinging and putting stress on the cart slots as it rocks back and forth.

Chukka

n00b
They can if the user is careless. The phantom-1 can cause serious damage since it has no shell to keep it from swinging and putting stress on the cart slots as it rocks back and forth.

Thanks for the reply.

So that is the only cause of concern? I shouldn't be worried with the more sturdier converters?

Edmond Dantes

Rugal's Thug
Replying to this topic because I noticed that since it began there's been a new converter, the Magic Key.

Just in ya'lls opinion, which is better: the Daedalus or the Magic Key?

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
Replying to this topic because I noticed that since it began there's been a new converter, the Magic Key.

Just in ya'lls opinion, which is better: the Daedalus or the Magic Key?

The Magic Key wasn't made by someone who shat all over this community, so that's a plus.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Magic key also has built-in Unibios support.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The magic key is basically the Super MVS Converter II plus a Unibios built in. It still has compatibility issues.

The Magic Key wasn't made by someone who shat all over this community, so that's a plus.

The original Super MVS Converter II was sold to MANY members here with false info saying that there weren't any compatibility issues and no problems at all and also that Metal Slug X would work on a non 5v system with an additional PSU which was also false. It also had scaling issues.

I'd rather buy something from DavidG than the NeoFlashteam because in my personal experience everything I bought from David worked like he said it would. Not to mention that the NeoFlashTeam stole the Unibios from Razoola before getting his permission to use it on the converter.

tomlee80

Kabuki Klasher
Just got a Magic Key from Razoola for under £200. With built in bios and sturdy design I'm a happy customer. My Home Cart AES wasn't modded so this has saved me money without having to get my hands dirty. Shame to hear about the scaling issues but I've not experienced any yet and I don't regret my purchase. Plenty of good games are now avalible to me at a far cheaper price!

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
The magic key is basically the Super MVS Converter II plus a Unibios built in. It still has compatibility issues.

The original Super MVS Converter II was sold to MANY members here with false info saying that there weren't any compatibility issues and no problems at all and also that Metal Slug X would work on a non 5v system with an additional PSU which was also false. It also had scaling issues.

I'd rather buy something from DavidG than the NeoFlashteam because in my personal experience everything I bought from David worked like he said it would. Not to mention that the NeoFlashTeam stole the Unibios from Razoola before getting his permission to use it on the converter.

The magic key does not have the scaling issues of the previous converter and MSX does work on it without problem as confirmed by a few members on this forum. So all the compatibility issues are solved with original games. There are minor issues with the multigame bootleg carts but they do work if you hold down the button on the converter.

You are correct about the situation with the using on the unibios code originally but that has been resolved.

Edmond Dantes

Rugal's Thug
I'm grateful for this thread as it has cleared up a lot of n00b anxiety for me. I only have two more questions.

First is, I'm in the USA--how much does a Magic Key cost?

Second is, the AES I'm awaiting has a unibios in it. Will that cause conflicts with the Magic Key?

Thank you x100 in advance.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The magic key does not have the scaling issues of the previous converter and MSX does work on it without problem as confirmed by a few members on this forum. So all the compatibility issues are solved with original games. There are minor issues with the multigame bootleg carts but they do work if you hold down the button on the converter.

You are correct about the situation with the using on the unibios code originally but that has been resolved.

That may be true about the magic key now but my point was about the SMVSC2 converter they made and the promises they made and never came through and affected more people in the community in comparison to DG's "community crapping", 6 vs 100+.

Thanks for the info on the Magic Key that those were all fixed. Is there any current issues with them? Also the MSX, was it tested on a non 5v system and confirmed or was it tested on a 5v system? I'm guessing this is something that was fixed after the initial batch as there were a few members that had MSX problems on their 9v systems. Also if this is fixed the way I think it was, were NGDEV games tested on the Magic Key as well?

Edmond Dantes

Rugal's Thug
I was under the impression that the problem with NGDEV games had to do with them looking for some special ram that no AES has, and not anything to do with the converters...?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I was under the impression that the problem with NGDEV games had to do with them looking for some special ram that no AES has, and not anything to do with the converters...?

Exactly. The weird thing is that NGDEV claims that the games aren't programmed to look for the backup ram but for some reason they do. From what I remember this only affects GL and FS but FS 1.0 works fine.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
That may be true about the magic key now but my point was about the SMVSC2 converter they made and the promises they made and never came through and affected more people in the community in comparison to DG's "community crapping", 6 vs 100+.

Thanks for the info on the Magic Key that those were all fixed. Is there any current issues with them? Also the MSX, was it tested on a non 5v system and confirmed or was it tested on a 5v system? I'm guessing this is something that was fixed after the initial batch as there were a few members that had MSX problems on their 9v systems. Also if this is fixed the way I think it was, were NGDEV games tested on the Magic Key as well?

Yes, MSX has been confirmed working on non 5v systems. NGDEV games have not been tested as far as I know. Only issues at the moment are with the multicarts but they do work when you hold in the button.

Raz

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Exactly. The weird thing is that NGDEV claims that the games aren't programmed to look for the backup ram but for some reason they do. From what I remember this only affects GL and FS but FS 1.0 works fine.

Actually, the discovery that Fast Striker 1.0 is looking for the backup RAM was from tests done with my copy of FS 1.0. Enabling the memory card manager on the console does allow the game to boot, but it's very glitchy and is prone to freezes.

mainvein

n00b
i have an mvs converter v2, had no probs with it apart from last blade - just got a consolized mvs in sega saturn case and i can play it again properly :-)

DvdXploitr

Quiz Detective
so the MVS Magic Key is the way to go it looks like....heh, I will try to get one next month...selling off some of my game collection thats just collecting dust next month :)......I thought about just getting the Magic Key and NOT getting Unibios installed, but needing the Unibios for my AES games....(only got one AES game right now, but I will soon get more....)