Universe Bios 3.1 released!

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Does Anybody knows if uníverse BIOS will work with a 161 in 1 cartrige?

It works fine if you don't mind random errors pretty much constantly with the higher meg games.

I've been meaning to ask Raz, would there be any way to make a unibios with an option to disable error checking?

I've been seriously considering yanking the unibios out of my MVS cabinet (I think it's ver 2.8?), because 161 titles that work perfectly in my home cart system (old debug bios) with the MVS converter somehow error like crazy in the actual MVS. It almost makes it pointless to have a 161 if you can't trust it not to crash when you're in the middle of trying to beat a game. I don't think I can go 10 minutes in Last Blade 2 without a green screen.

Last edited:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
There should be no errors with the 161 in one and unibios 3.1. If you are getting errors in game then its due to faults with contacts or the cart.

To disable errors in the unibios all together simply enable arcade protect... Note the game is still going to crash and reset regardless.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
There should be no errors with the 161 in one and unibios 3.1. If you are getting errors in game then its due to faults with contacts or the cart.

To disable errors in the unibios all together simply enable arcade protect... Note the game is still going to crash and reset regardless.

So you think it's something to do with it being an older unibios version....or do you mean actually that getting errors in game is due to faults with contacts or the cart, regardless of unibios version? I ask because I've recent Deoxit-ed the living shit out of both the cart and the cart slot. If you think upgrading will fix the problem, then it's well worth doing.

Plus, I thought I heard somewhere you can save high scores to the memcard now? If so, that's amazing. I just kinda came in at the end of the thread, but I'm gonna go catch up now.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Unibios before 3.1 would always show an error right after choosing a game with the multicarts. This is due to the very poor programming by the bootleg cart makers. If this is the error you are talking about then yes a unibios 3.1 will fix that. If you are talking about an error that happens during gameplay then a unibios 3.1 will not solve that because its a game crash for some reason.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Unibios before 3.1 would always show an error right after choosing a game with the multicarts. This is due to the very poor programming by the bootleg cart makers. If this is the error you are talking about then yes a unibios 3.1 will fix that. If you are talking about an error that happens during gameplay then a unibios 3.1 will not solve that because its a game crash for some reason.

Yeah this is well into the game, and it's totally unpredictable. Maybe I need to clean the cart some more. It's just weird cos I've never had a game crash on the home cart (with the exception of intentionally crashing it, like in MOTW with the TOP move).

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I would need to see the crash information but I would say if its in game its because of the bootleg. a non unibios would simply reset the system.

Raz

dq333

n00b
Just got a CMVS Omega and a weird thing happens with Metal Slug 1. In arcade mode I'm stuck with 99 lives even though I have not enabled this cheat. In AES mode, unless I go to settings and switch at least one option (why is it defaulted to hard?) I will also be stuck with 99 lives. I dont remember this happening with another CMVS (older unibios) I had as I was keen on my highscores back then. Anyone see this happen? Doesnt happen to any other game. I don't think the game is bad (boot). I bought it over ten years ago and the boards are stamped SNK.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Some if the metal slug games do weird things until you die once and let it initialize the save data.

dq333

n00b
Some if the metal slug games do weird things until you die once and let it initialize the save data.

Do you have unibios 3.1? From what I've seen, the only thing that fixes my problem is either setting the infinite lives cheat on, then off, or going into the options menu and changing a setting in AES mode. At least it's a relatively quick fix but it's annoying I guess. I have the Omega with the virtual memory card, would turning the unibios off also turn saving off?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Just got a CMVS Omega and a weird thing happens with Metal Slug 1. In arcade mode I'm stuck with 99 lives even though I have not enabled this cheat. In AES mode, unless I go to settings and switch at least one option (why is it defaulted to hard?) I will also be stuck with 99 lives. I dont remember this happening with another CMVS (older unibios) I had as I was keen on my highscores back then. Anyone see this happen? Doesnt happen to any other game. I don't think the game is bad (boot). I bought it over ten years ago and the boards are stamped SNK.

As pointed out some of the MS games do weird things unless you let them set up correctly. Youll need to be in MVS mode, then goto testmode and clear the backupRAM. now let the game boot, play a game and let it game over. Now all should be fine. Your problem started because when you first put the game in the system you were in console mode. Then that happens the backupRAM is not set up correctly.

dq333

n00b
As pointed out some of the MS games do weird things unless you let them set up correctly. Youll need to be in MVS mode, then goto testmode and clear the backupRAM. now let the game boot, play a game and let it game over. Now all should be fine. Your problem started because when you first put the game in the system you were in console mode. Then that happens the backupRAM is not set up correctly.

Thanks for the response and explanation Raz. I will try this out as soon as possible. BTW, the unibios is awesome!

dq333

n00b

Ok, fixed it. I deleted the backup and then set the soft dip switches with another value for player lives and difficulty. All fixed :glee:

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
just got my unibios 3.1 in the mail today and was super excited, then while unpacking it I noticed two pins are missing on the chip (first two on the half circle side) am I completely screwed? did the package get messed up in the mail and my bios is ruined before I even get to play around with it? my 4 slot is in for repairs (thanks Xian!) so I've got no way to test it out anyways to see if the bios is FUBAR'd or not

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
You can send the chip back to me and I will send you another once I get it back. Don't send the manual though. I'm guessing it got crushed?

Raz

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
You can send the chip back to me and I will send you another once I get it back. Don't send the manual though. I'm guessing it got crushed?

Raz

maybe, you never know what might've happened in transit, I'll get it shipped back right away, thanks so much

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Do you think something could ever be set up in the Unibios to change controller settings on a game? I was playing Magician Lord AES on a Neo CD pad and the button configuration sucks on that game. Not sure if this is an area the bios can ever look at but it would be very nice on the games that do not allow you to change the layout in an option menu.

grips03

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
My Omega has 3.0 bios and when you go into soft dip it just show garbage for the cart name. I tried swapping carts from Metal Slug 1 to Metal Slug 3 and it still show garbage for cart name.

Any way to fix this?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
My Omega has 3.0 bios and when you go into soft dip it just show garbage for the cart name. I tried swapping carts from Metal Slug 1 to Metal Slug 3 and it still show garbage for cart name.

Any way to fix this?

Clear your backup ram. On the Unibios splash hit D+C+D and go into hardware test and keep pressing start until you get to the "clear backup ram" screen. Press A+B+C as indicated on screen to clear the backup memory. Then hit start until you get back to the crosshatch then press B to do a soft reset to go back to the game.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member

Any way to fix this?

Clear the backup ram and let the game load once before going into the soft dip settings. If you attempt to change the soft dips before letting it load, you'll get garbage in the soft dip menu.