Shockbox Inserts - Big Red Style

Clean Art or Retail style?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
Cheers mate, still a bit to do before I contact Southtown about hosting them.

mge.png

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
...jesus, if you end up doing a full Neo run eventually I'm gonna have to upgrade to these too...

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
I really like this new direction. I don't have the skills to build my own inserts in photoshop, but I've always wanted to incorporate a serial number somewhere on the insert. Maybe even a white box on the spine and then I would run the insert through a typewriter for full effect.

Anyways, amazing work! I'm looking forward to begin using these with my games. Thank you!

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
I just noticed a problem with the final product, and it has nothing to do with your art.

When these are inserted into the shock box there will be a small amount of plastic (about 5mm?) showing through the top. I love your mock-up and how clean the plastic lines look. If only the shock box would look like your mock-up when it was done :(

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
Yeah it's just something you have to deal with. One of the downsides of vacuum forming vs injection molding. Yet to see a vacuum formed case with a full top to bottom art sleeve.

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
Excellent stuff there fella keep them coming
The design work is impeccable.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
You art guys should really just sell shock box art set packs.

The complete Neo Library (or 1/2 of it, or a 1/4 of it) for one Huge Discount Price. :D

That's what they really want: Just the Art. :drool:/:lolz:

Let them get the boxes as they start getting their games.

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
Yeah some new ones coming, stuck on Last Blade 2 at the moment. Having a hard time finding some decent art to work with.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
You art guys should really just sell shock box art set packs.

The complete Neo Library (or 1/2 of it, or a 1/4 of it) for one Huge Discount Price. :D

That's what they really want: Just the Art. :drool:/:lolz:

Let them get the boxes as they start getting their games.

Well yeah when it's just being displayed on the shelf, an empty box isn't any different from a filled one. XD

ChiefofSB

Geese's Thug
Yes please submit to Southtown i would like some of these with my shockboxes very nice keep it up

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Been looking at these and would buy them in a heartbeat if they were on southtown. Been buying the standard greyish brown background, but I feel the red would be much more of the "neo geo" spirit for me.

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
Thanks guys, i'm still intending on submitting these to Southtown but only when i'm happy with them. Some of the inserts are clearly better design wise than others so I want to go back and review the work on some of the ones that I just sort of rushed out. It wont be massive changes, just bringing them up to scratch.

To those who have PMd me about getting the print files, i'll send them through to you at the same time I upload them for Southtown. I dont want to upload multiple revisions of the same file and have to keep track of which has gone where. Rather do it in one go.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Holy balls these are slick and I'm not even a Shockbox guy.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
I decided to try to put together an insert based on the flyer that came with the gamecenter edition and Thamiel´s big red insert template. I did a lot of small tweaking, rescaling and a little bit crushing of the how to play and added an ngdev team logo which I had to adapt to red background.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ovno958xvnlwi7w

Please let me know if it works out for you. I haven´t done this stuff before so there might be stuff done wrong. For example, I didn´t know what font to use for megs count. When I dont allow the printer to scale the image at all and print to A3 and cut it, then it looks like this:

jrdw.png

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
Interesting idea with using the mini marquees for the back, I was considering doing that myself but went with remakes from scratch. Definitely a quicker (and perhaps more functional?) way to do things. Not sure I like the vertically oriented logo but its a difficult one to fit on there so I can see why you did it. If someone has a high res version of that logo i'd be happy to rebuild it was a more appropriately shaped spine logo. Also, I noticed the white stripes are running off the red on your cover. Looks like the layer mask has been turned off for some reason, probably a fault with my old template. I should upload the new one soon.

No way i'm gunna get all the Neo games done by myself.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Looks like the layer mask has been turned off for some reason, probably a fault with my old template. I should upload the new one soon.

No, that would probably be due to me being a complete idiot when it comes to using gimp (and pretty much any ) image processing and layers. I just merge the layers as early as possible because I dont understand how to use them. Usually what happens when theres layers is that I cant find a way to access specific layer where I want to edit so I just merge them so that I can edit the whole picture. Then I will accidentally create new layers when I add text and I may or may not remove them if needed.

Result is something where I dont find a flaw big enough to warrant further editing it or where I simply dont understand that something is very wrong and I leave it at that :)

Its not a cry for help but suffice it to say, I have my own very inefficient way of doing things but when I feel like doing something, it gets done eventually and it will be somewhat usable, maybe. Here I spent 3 hours doing something that should have been possible to do in less than 10 minutes :)

edit: didnt even cross my mind that I should rotate the logo on the spine... hmmm.....

Last edited:

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Thamiel, you may have just converted me to Shockboxes. I would love to have my carts in a uniform style such as you have created. Well done on the artistic vision, a real standout amongst the available inserts on the market!