Shockbox Inserts - Big Red Style

Clean Art or Retail style?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
GOD I love this template! My own soul and love of things big and red demanded that I try my hand! What do you think? :D

MS3Preview.jpg

PDF: http://ge.tt/2im7IFN/v/0?c

Last edited:

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
Killer work man, you turned the layer mask off on the front though! The white stripes are running off the template and onto the art. You've messed with the formatting of the memory card text as well and i'd look at the centering of the "708" in the meg count box.

Also, did you flatten the image before saving it out as a PDF? Should help to get that file size down a bit. Aside from those little tweaks I think it looks great. Will definitely use it for my copy when it's done.

Last edited:

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Killer work man, you turned the layer mask off on the front though! The white stripes are running off the template and onto the art.

Also, did you flatten the image before saving it out as a PDF? Should help to get that file size down a bit.

I know! did it on purpose! I totally like it better with the stripes running over the art, it makes it feel more like a cohesive whole. But thats good advice on the flattening, I will remember to do so in the futures.

I only spent like an hour on it, and I did get a little sloppy with the clone brush stretching out that image on the back, but I gotta say, if someone or some group managed to assemble a whole set of these, I would totally shock box up my collection.

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
Even if you did get lazy with the cloning it's not noticeable, opened up the file and had a good look and it wasn't something the jumped at all.

I sort of get what your thinking with the art running off the template, the idea reminds me a bit of the Japanese Famicom branding: http://www.eoinstanley.com/nintendo/famicom_branding.png

At the moment i'm just making these covers for the carts I own but i'm happy to pump out more to try and get a complete alternative art set done. With two of us doing it it'll definitely go a lot faster but if we do that we should keep the template the same across the whole art set. PM me if you like and we can have a chat about the template, making a whole set etc.?

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Well I'm not sure how much time I'll have but i'll certainly do a couple! If you like I can just send you the PSDs and you can make any changes you need to to make them "canon". I think since it's your template you should have the final say so about how it looks. :)

Other than the stripes the only thing I was thinking about was the barcode, it seems like you wouldn't want them all to be identical, but it also seems like a butt to change them all, and it IS a nice touch cosmetically either way. What were you planning on doing with it?

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
The spine text is much easier on the eyes (since the MS3 logo happens to be dark). I wonder if there's any way to integrate the white stripes into the spine without it becoming a gaudy mess.

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
Well I'm not sure how much time I'll have but i'll certainly do a couple! If you like I can just send you the PSDs and you can make any changes you need to to make them "canon". I think since it's your template you should have the final say so about how it looks.

Other than the stripes the only thing I was thinking about was the barcode, it seems like you wouldn't want them all to be identical, but it also seems like a butt to change them all, and it IS a nice touch cosmetically either way. What were you planning on doing with it?

Fair enough man, just adding covers when you can is helpful for sure. As far as the stripes on the front, I think i'm going to keep them ending within the template for this set. Would love your PSD though to take a look and add MS3 to the opening post.

The spine text is much easier on the eyes (since the MS3 logo happens to be dark). I wonder if there's any way to integrate the white stripes into the spine without it becoming a gaudy mess.

Only way I could think of doing it would be to have them horizontal, not diagonal which dosn't really match the "Big Red" CP design. I had the same thoughts about the spine actually but couldn't get it to work so I moved them to the front.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Problem! I am using pixelmator and there is some kind of conflict that is making anything I export as PSD enormous. So I went ahead and added a masked version of the PDF for you at http://ge.tt/2im7IFN?c

and I also took the liberty of adding a special version highlighting just good ol' Tarma and tha ladeez!

MS3closepreview.jpg

Masked and Unmasked versions, For great justice!

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
Just letting everyone know these are still continuing, just gotta handle some commission work a member here requested for his PGM collection. Cheers.

Badboy1980

Cheng's Errand Boy
Wow nice, just downloaded the Fatal Fury one to print... Do you have any others?

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Just whats in the first post for now. Need to finish off these PGM inserts first.

Awesome work Thamiel! I love the look and I'd definitely swap for those if you had a full set. I just got into the PGM myself and I'd be interested in seeing some of your work for that as well.

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
Awesome work Thamiel! I love the look and I'd definitely swap for those if you had a full set. I just got into the PGM myself and I'd be interested in seeing some of your work for that as well.

PGM is looking like this:-

KoV2:
kov2imndxfa.png

KoV:
kovimndxfa.png

Set so far:
pgmwip1.png

These may or may not be made available for public download, all depends on the member who comissioned these. Hey may want these to be unique to his personal collection. I'll talk it over with him when i've finished all the games he's asked for.

pipes

These may or may not be made available for public download, all depends on the member who comissioned these. Hey may want these to be unique to his personal collection. I'll talk it over with him when i've finished all the games he's asked for.

Wow, those look terrific. Please let me know if they will be available because I'd love to use those. Great design and very creative. Good job!

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member

Those are well done Thamiel. Please keep us updated on any new ones you come up with.

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
Give me a week and I should be back on this project, the PGM project is nearly complete.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Must have missed this when you first did these Thamiel. Good work... these inserts may inspire me enough to invest in some shockboxes after all. I'm to the point that I'm tired of looking at my brown kit boxes. :D

Any news about the PGM inserts, would love to print them out for my games - absolut nice and stunning work mate!

fr33m4n

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I'm starting to collect some MVS carts and your layout boxes was always what i looking for! Minimalist style without the game images on the back!

Do you accept requests like the PGM inserts?

No problem to pay for that!

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
I'm starting to collect some MVS carts and your layout boxes was always what i looking for! Minimalist style without the game images on the back!

Do you accept requests like the PGM inserts?

No problem to pay for that!

The PGM project is done for now, still sorting out a few final details though. Then i've gotta do some Taito TypeX2 spine labels for another member. After that's done I'll get back to making some MVS inserts as i'm sick of looking at my shocks with no art in them. Also, working on some slipcases for US Saturn cases and some CPS2 slipcases for those uLine boxes. Got a lot of shit going on. If you want requests, or more custom shit done then just PM me and we'll see if we can work something out.

collectionfinala.png

Last edited:

pipes

Nice stuff Thamiel! I can't wait for those labels. :D

Id love to see how the front and back of the Martial masters came out design wise.
That game is just to cool.