Shockbox Inserts - Big Red Style

Clean Art or Retail style?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
Updates, spines tweaked for readability/contrast.

ffimndxf.png

DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?7rhs2s7bu9ocql7

scaled.php

DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?ayq5d8fylkafqw5

scaled.php

DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?c8fe84pnl8yroom

ssimndxf.png

DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?6pd3h7656p2pp37

TEMPLATE DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/?bsf7czf58s953bt

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
That back cover is dope. If I wanted to get a shockbox, I'd want that backcover to be the front one.

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
Cheers man, still playing with a template I like for my own. I've been obsessively stalking Big Reds on eBay but there's no chance i'll ever get one.

So the next best thing...

ffwip2.png

Bit more done, logo redrawn as a vector, colour tweaks etc. Feel like i'm getting there with it.

ffimndx.png

Last edited:

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
damn dude, I like your style.

Not solely mine, there's a couple of us over at The Cover Project doing these sort of more graphically oriented modern design covers for our SNES and N64 collections. I just married that mentality with the aesthetics of a Big Red cab and...yeah haha, rambling now.

Cheers man, i'm just making these for myself as I get OCD as fuck about things looking uniform but i'm more than happy to share if people want/need.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Wow, I DO have a fatal fury, and want that's my insert, total boss!

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
ffimndxf.png

DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?zvcnbehxtblttyx

Think i'm done with both the template and the first cover now, download it and take a look. If there's any details or changes you think I should make let me know. Particularly with the template, i'm new to SNK by comparison to a lot of you guys.

Last edited:

FalcomAdol

Fio's Quartermaster
I'm liking this fresh blood approach. Makes me want to recover my entire MVS collection.

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
Feel free to post any links to high res SNK scans/promo art in here. Need all the help I can get to find this shit.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Looks good mate.

Now design a complete set like that!

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
Looks great, great job on both. Looking forward to many more.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Feedback on the template:

I don't particularly care for a meg count box, and it seems to be counter to the graphic philosophy of the design.

Edit: I'm not saying I would put a little picture there. The meg counts are just a little. . . like advertising on today's boxes how many achievement points there are to unlock.

Last edited:

JammaGuy

Previously I-d-o-s-k-8
Woah! I really like the spine idea... and how to flows on the front and back!! I wonder how it would look with blue and green for action and shooter carts??... Can you provide your layered template in .psd? I don't want to steal your idea, but I really like this style over anything so far.. "Besides the series art spines" that show a picture when you have all of the carts.. but this is very clean and aesthetic, what I like!!

-Bill

FalcomAdol

Fio's Quartermaster
If you are willing to post your template, I'm interested in giving the Zintrick I've been working on a shot in this layout.

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
Feedback on the template:

I don't particularly care for a meg count box, and it seems to be counter to the graphic philosophy of the design.

Edit: I'm not saying I would put a little picture there. The meg counts are just a little. . . like advertising on today's boxes how many achievement points there are to unlock.

Cheers for the reply mate, I was debating the megcount for awhile there but in the end I went with it as I needed something to balance the spine out composition wise. It's also one of the original design points that just screams "Neo Geo" to me as well, bragging about how awesome your game is right on the box in comparison to the lowly SNES/GEN.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
I like that someone else out there appreciates clean, uncluttered layouts.
But since you probably didn't make this thread only for commendation, I'd also like to suggest experimenting with the title/spine contrasts.

IMO, the dominant reds & oranges interfere with readability at a distance, and singe the eyes up close. Not that a big black rectangle behind the text (like early home-carts) is the solution, but it's sort of what I'm getting at.

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
I like that someone else out there appreciates clean, uncluttered layouts.
But since you probably didn't make this thread only for commendation, I'd also like to suggest experimenting with the title/spine contrasts.

IMO, the dominant reds & oranges interfere with readability at a distance, and singe the eyes up close. Not that a big black rectangle behind the text (like early home-carts) is the solution, but it's sort of what I'm getting at.

Yeah it's a hard one to balance with such a strong colour as the base for the template. I think the only option is to mess with the "official" colours of the original logos, I don't mind doing it at all for my own collection but some people get a bit iffy about stuff like that. Still, these arn't even close to the retail look so I guess it wont matter. I'll tinker!

Also, template link in first post.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Y'know I don't really like shockboxes, but man, you are speakin my language with these.. Ouch man.. these rock.

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
Y'know I don't really like shockboxes, but man, you are speakin my language with these.. Ouch man.. these rock.

Cheers mate. I'm not a massive Shockbox fan either, just seems like they're unnecessarily large for what they do. Would much prefer a smaller, AES style solution for nicely storing carts. But hey, gotta work with what's available right?

Last edited: