Neobitz Presents "Knight's Chance" - AES Pre-Orders Now Open

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member

Did you read the rest, or just skip to the part where your quoting skills suit you best ;).

Haha, development costs are never part of the actual price (if you've ever developed a game), when it's done in house.

Development of a game (just the coding) when done in homebrew is based on your own time, etc. especially when Jeff, the genius that he is built the development tools himself lol.

XX, the last report I got was that he was using MVS carts that were sacc'ed, am I mistaken? That's why he wasn't quite interested in Shadow's new MVS carts, bc he already had them. lol.

6tusBeckmesser

Mr. Big's Thug

I think he equals development time (and in that sense development costs) with personal time and not as a part of a profession… because that's the way homebrew normally gets done. As a hobby. But NG:Dev (don't know about Neobitz) are doing it professionally, they are living from what they are doing as a small team.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Development of a game (just the coding) when done in homebrew is based on your own time, etc. especially when Jeff, the genius that he is built the development tools himself lol.

XX, the last report I got was that he was using MVS carts that were sacc'ed, am I mistaken? That's why he wasn't quite interested in Shadow's new MVS carts, bc he already had them. lol.

He answered you back in December when you asked him about it:

MVS carts: Are you going to use NG DEV like reproductions, or straight donor carts? I bet there isn't enough donors to support the amount of users who would want this game. Haha.

I'm definitely in. especially for either MVS or NCD.

Happy Near Year!!!

Wynd

The plan is to use custom boards, not donors.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Did you read the rest, or just skip to the part where your quoting skills suit you best ;).

Just because you don't value your time or creative efforts, doesn't mean that is either correct or should be expected of anybody else. Every second Jeff spends, or anyone else, working on this game is a sacrifice somewhere else. Most people value creation and the time it takes to make a finish product. They realize the sacrifices and want to support and encourage those that make the things they like to keep creating the things they like. I feel like we're on the cusp of some huge philosophical debate on whether or not Jeff should be compensated for his work on this project, and I'm just too exhausted these days for that. The main reason being, it seems you don't care if he does and I can't imagine anyone could feel that way. We're at an impasse. Someone spent a lot of their time, time they could have been doing whatever else, making something that I want. Shouldn't they be compensated for that?

Why should Jeff, or anyone, do this for free? Why should they be doing it for cost of parts alone? That's just madness to me.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
It's criminal to expect a homebrewer to work for free or the cost of parts. Stop being such a cheapass, give Jeff your money and be thankful he even made this game!

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Um, yeah.

Does anyone here remember what happened the last time someone around here was almost done with a labor of love project, and then "we" as a community offended them?

Samurai Showdown RPG -- English Translation ring a bell?

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Who's offending, lol?!?! If people would actually read what I wrote it makes 100% sense, but as always it's like talking to a wall here sometimes.

Anyway, I can't wait to see Jeff's work and obviously anyone's going to pay whatever he asks, and he already made mention that he wants it to be reasonable, but still making it worth his effort and time.

I mean the guy puts effort into everything he does... he even released the dev tools for free. I've done business with him since before I joined this forum. He's always gotten me what I wanted and FAST!!

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
He answered you back in December when you asked him about it:

He said custom boards, not custom shells. He made mention he already had all the shells he needed, that's why he doesn't need them from Shadow :)

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
He said custom boards, not custom shells. He made mention he already had all the shells he needed, that's why he doesn't need them from Shadow :)

Do you always argue for the sake of fucking arguing?

Marek

Banned
Um, yeah.

Does anyone here remember what happened the last time someone around here was almost done with a labor of love project, and then "we" as a community offended them?

Samurai Showdown RPG -- English Translation ring a bell?

Are those things really comparable?

Deuce was always a major dick and got offended not about any criticism of the project itself, but about other things, and decided to withhold SSRPG to spite the community.

JMKurtz is unquestionably the man. Everyone knows it. Kurtz wouldnt remember when he helped me out, most likely, because he helps out so many people and is a real stand up guy.

Deuce was and probably still is a king douche - a snarky, smug, cockshot posting waste of bandwidth.

P.S. Wyndcrosser you remind me of Deuce. A tragic douchey genius...

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Your right, I didn't really mean an even one to one comparison. I never really knew Deuce that well either. I only knew him from the old ML days. So I had no idea what kind of guy he became.

I was really just referring to a classic quote that a member here said back when we got Ironclad and some guy in Europe was bitching about the PAL version or something and the quote was: "Don't you Europeans go and fuck this up for everybody by complaining!" and for whatever reason it just made me laugh hysterically. I still laugh just thinking about it!

Marek

Banned
Your right, I didn't really mean an even one to one comparison. I never really knew Deuce that well either. I only knew him from the old ML days. So I had no idea what kind of guy he became.

No big deal dude.

I know you tend to ignore the full-retard dramas that unfold here, of which Deuce's meltdown is a classic example.

I feel like it would be waaayyyy out of character for Kurtz to pull the project or scuttle it purely to spite a couple of douchebag noobs.

fwiw.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
why would kurtz pull the project?
its over 90% done

Marek

Banned
why would kurtz pull the project?
its over 90% done

Well people asked Deuce the same thing. I think thats what Billy was pointing out.

Anyway, this game is going to be extremely cool and those who end up with the carts are going to be very happy!

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I was really just referring to a classic quote that a member here said back when we got Ironclad and some guy in Europe was bitching about the PAL version or something and the quote was: "Don't you Europeans go and fuck this up for everybody by complaining!" and for whatever reason it just made me laugh hysterically. I still laugh just thinking about it!
We'd have to go back and check, but for now I think it was me who said that.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
We'd have to go back and check, but for now I think it was me who said that.

YEAP!
Here is the context of it. You posted it on March 16th, 2010

>>> Originally Posted by Professor Denim <<<
Downloaded this from VC. FUCK you SNKP and Nintendo!!!!!
the description says "60hz"!!! IT IS NOT!!!!!!! ITS "50hz"!!!!!! WITH BORDERS AND SLOW AS FUCK! its a LIE!
its the first hanabi festival game that i know that isn´t 60hz.
if i new this was 50hz i would never bought it!!!
i´m will contact nintendo here.want my money back.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
And then your reply:
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
...Just be glad the rom got released. Don't you Europeans go and fuck up our chances for more of these by complaining.

This was so classic, that I am going to add this to my sig! I love it!

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
OK. Although it was a bit tongue-in-cheek, I was being serious, for the record. As always, my concern is just that the game data/code sees the light of day.

Last edited:

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
OK. Although it was a bit tongue-in-cheek, I was being serious, for the record. As always, my concern is just that the game data/code sees the light of day.

Well, of course. And it needs to be put in the proper context. The thread at that point had been juiced up by a few of us who were pointing out the logical & realistic possibility that games like Crossed Swords 2 & Zintrick could be next. So we were all very excited & heated up!

And to keep on topic (sorry my fault Jeff) I am curious as to how much of the original code that you worked on for "Poker Night" was utilized for Knight's Chance? Also were some of the graphics and general atmosphere of Last Odyssey "influential" or "inspirational" for the style used in Knight's Chance? Some of the dark & rich colors and shading seem similar to me?

And then even more questions if you don't mind? Will the game support the memory card? Will the game have an actual goal or ending? Will the cartridge function on a home system with a converter?

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
I am curious as to how much of the original code that you worked on for "Poker Night" was utilized for Knight's Chance?

0%. I had a hard drive crash many years ago and lost the code to some of the projects I had worked on. Poker Night was one of those.

Also were some of the graphics and general atmosphere of Last Odyssey "influential" or "inspirational" for the style used in Knight's Chance? Some of the dark & rich colors and shading seem similar to me?

Not that I'm aware of so that would be a good question for Tim. When were discussing the theme for the game, we decided on medieval since it's not used much on the Neo. Last Odyssey never came up in those discussions.

Will the game support the memory card?

No. The cartridge has its own storage for saving data.

Will the game have an actual goal or ending?

You play until you're out of turns or money, depending on which game you're playing. The better you are, or, if you have luck on your side, the better you'll do.

Will the cartridge function on a home system with a converter?

So far, yes. I no longer have a converter to test with though, but first prototypes of the boards were tested and were fine.

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
Jeff, if your time is limited but have a lot of ideas for new games, why not just develop them (prototypes) and have NGDEV publish the games? I understand your time spent could be opportunity costs so why not create something and let others do the work for you.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I'm confused. Are there plans to release this on NGCD or just as a cart? It's just as an MVS for now, right?

Last edited:

Loris Biaggi

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
It's not me, people on ng is not realistic.
Indie games are usually free or few bucks worth.
Why a ng indie/homebrew game should be paid 400$?
The best modern "retro" game of the moment is for free... i'm talking about Maldita Castilla.
Another question... why is Dreamcast version of ng:dev games sold for 20$ and ng version for 400$?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's not me, people on ng is not realistic.
Indie games are usually free or few bucks worth.
Why a ng indie/homebrew game should be paid 400$?
The best modern "retro" game of the moment is for free... i'm talking about Maldita Castilla.
Another question... why is Dreamcast version of ng:dev games sold for 20$ and ng version for 400$?

Why aren't your boxes free?