Resident Evil 6

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Yeah, that's what I've been saying. It's mind-numbingly boring after the 20th+ time, though. You really have to have talk radio or something else going on to make it through.

Last night I decided to grind medals with agent hunt. After the first few games, I forgot I was grinding, and got caught up in wrecking people's shit. It was around 1am-2am, and I kept joining the same guy's game (around 4 or 5 times). It was the graveyard in Leon's Chapter 2 campaign, and I was on fire with my timing and run/leap grabbing him. You can do it indefinitely, because once he kicks you off of him, you immediately get back up, and press run + direction he's in + action and you're already lined up and in exact distance to grab him again. If you do this just as he's getting up, he either has no time to counter, or it's literally split second flash and it's hard as hell. I killed this guy so many times doing this, and hurling acid from around the corner. Guy must've been pissed, but he kept accepting my request to join his game...haha.

My medal achievement popped after only a few games, but I didn't even care at that point. I think I'll probably play this game for Agent Hunt alone.

I also went ahead and finished mad skills achievement just for completion sake. Now I'll grind points to upgrade my shit in Agent Hunt.

1000/1000, nigga:

Z829p.jpg

Fayk

Cheng's Errand Boy
I found it easy to stealth, and work with the overall controls in general. If you sit down and study what you're capable of doing, it's not hard to put into action. The part where you sneak around with Ada on the ship was a good tutorial. Most people probably go into the game with a vague idea of how to execute things (such as slides, rolls, reverse hops), and get frustrated when they're caught in situations that require them to know exactly what to do.

QTE's need to be eliminated.

Everything else is really good. The controls, the active inventory setup, the store, combining and equipping skills, Agent Hunt, Mercenaries, condensing the number of weapons in the game and the way they're upgraded --this is all a step in the right direction.

I think this is actually an incredibly relevant point about the game. The controls are a bit convoluted (they're trying to overload a lot of buttons, and context can change a bunch of them unpredictably, etc). I actuall yliked the controls overall, but since I played the game coop entirely I can see how this could pop up.

I'm the kind of player that was feeling out the game, trying all the button combinations I could find, using melee heavily, rolling and sliding all the time. Then we get to a section where you HAVE to slide to be fast enough (see: giant boss) otr you die. Cue cursing from my coop buddy who doesn't know the timing/button combos/etc due to lack of any practice.

The same could be said about the rest of the game in general often doing nothing resembling a tutorial - a few ideas get a sort of 'introduction' but then no reminder that HEY YOU WILL NEED THIS LATER. I enjoyed the game regardless, but I can see this being a sticking point for people.

Rope climbing QTEs? Intuitive and easy for me, and there's a non-rope one earlier in the game that has analagous controls. But some people couldn't figure it the hell out.

Disclaimer: Haven't done Ada section; I've been playing the game coop, so waiting for the patch for that.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I don't know. I'm used to doing insane joystick motions + awkward button presses in a fighting game. Have you ever sat down and studied what goes into some of the stuff you're expected to pull off in a fighting game if you want to have a chance? Chalk that up to needing to know how to do it while reading somebody and what they're doing. RE6 isn't anywhere near as complicated in that regard. Would you chalk up controls as being convoluted for a guy who gets his ass kicked in third strike because he has no idea how to parry, and can barely pull off a special move? Nothing in RE6 is hard, and the game is easy enough that it's kind of your fault if you don't bother to learn it.

Fayk

Cheng's Errand Boy
I don't know. I'm used to doing insane joystick motions + awkward button presses in a fighting game. Have you ever sat down and studied what goes into some of the stuff you're expected to pull off in a fighting game if you want to have a chance? Chalk that up to needing to know how to do it while reading somebody and what they're doing. RE6 isn't anywhere near as complicated in that regard. Would you chalk up controls as being convoluted for a guy who gets his ass kicked in third strike because he has no idea how to parry, and can barely pull off a special move? Nothing in RE6 is hard, and the game is easy enough that it's kind of your fault if you don't bother to learn it.

I have perhaps once played a fighting game or two.

I'm not saying the game is bad. I made a point to say I liked it. I'm saying the game does a poor job about communicating the mechanics of the game. Quickstand/teching? Not mentioned once by the game. The game doens't even come with a manual. There's actually plenty of useful tips in the little loading screens - but you could play through the game twice and not see all of them.

I'm saying they communicated everything poorly.

I noticed, for example, that your melee energy meter crap regens slower when running than walking or standing still. I didn't realize until after finishing the first three campaigns (via reading a message on a mesag eboard) that they actually recover faster in cover(!) or laying down.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
If you were to play this game most efficiently, the level of ridiculous would go sky high. You would have people dash R1ing over and over an then laying down to recharge fast.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I have perhaps once played a fighting game or two.

I'm not saying the game is bad. I made a point to say I liked it. I'm saying the game does a poor job about communicating the mechanics of the game. Quickstand/teching? Not mentioned once by the game. The game doens't even come with a manual. There's actually plenty of useful tips in the little loading screens - but you could play through the game twice and not see all of them.

I'm saying they communicated everything poorly.

I noticed, for example, that your melee energy meter crap regens slower when running than walking or standing still. I didn't realize until after finishing the first three campaigns (via reading a message on a mesag eboard) that they actually recover faster in cover(!) or laying down.

I was able to learn 90% of the game without needing it explained to me. Maybe you're right, the game doesn't communicate everything, but I would argue that it really doesn't even need to. The game itself is not that complicated. Within days of release (or maybe before it was even released, since it was leaked early), people had large write-ups on strategies and how to effectively use the controls. That's the sort of stuff that will make you a better player, and that stuff never comes in a manual anyway, and rarely in on-screen tutorials (which is one thing I dislike about modern games anyway, but that's another subject).

I'm not saying you said it's a bad game, either. All I'm arguing is that learning the game's controls is not a difficult task if you actually put forth the effort to try, which most people don't (and then bitch about). I also argue that the controls aren't convoluted, as everything you can do has it's place in strategies, and it's not even technically difficult to pull off, like some of the stuff required in fighting games.

Agent Hunt makes this game for me, though. That shit is so insanely fun.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I was able to learn 90% of the game without needing it explained to me. Maybe you're right, the game doesn't communicate everything, but I would argue that it really doesn't even need to. The game itself is not that complicated. Within days of release (or maybe before it was even released, since it was leaked early), people had large write-ups on strategies and how to effectively use the controls. That's the sort of stuff that will make you a better player, and that stuff never comes in a manual anyway, and rarely in on-screen tutorials (which is one thing I dislike about modern games anyway, but that's another subject).

I'm not saying you said it's a bad game, either. All I'm arguing is that learning the game's controls is not a difficult task if you actually put forth the effort to try, which most people don't (and then bitch about). I also argue that the controls aren't convoluted, as everything you can do has it's place in strategies, and it's not even technically difficult to pull off, like some of the stuff required in fighting games.

Agent Hunt makes this game for me, though. That shit is so insanely fun.

So basically, you would need to have an internet connection to really understand the gameplay of RE6.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
So basically, you would need to have an internet connection to really understand the gameplay of RE6.

There's hardly anything in the game that can't be learned just by playing and experimenting with the controls. You'll need an Internet connection if you want to seek out higher level of play and other strategies, like with any game.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
just saw this today:

Resident Evil 6 to deliver new content on December 18

Capcom has released new information about the game-add coming December 18th. Here are the details on the three modes (and more) available exclusively first on Xbox 360 from their press release:

London – Dec. 5, 2012 – Capcom, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games today confirmed that the initial wave of game add-on content for Resident Evil® 6 consisting of Predator, Survivors and Onslaught modes will be available on December 18 exclusively first on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft. Each mode is priced at 320 Microsoft Points and expands on the game’s multiplayer elements, providing new and exciting ways to enjoy the world of Resident Evil 6. Alternatively, players can purchase all three modes together as a bundle pack at the value price of 720 Microsoft Points on the Xbox LIVE® Marketplace for Xbox 360.

Available for two to six players, in Predator one player takes on the role of the Ustanak, the fearsome B.O.W. that stalks Jake Muller throughout his campaign, and tries to eliminate the human players. The humans’ task: stop the deadly B.O.W. in its tracks, or at least survive until the end of the session.

Survivors takes the classic solo and team-based versus mode and adds a twist. Get killed and respawn as an enemy character with the ability to attack the human characters. Take down one human character to resurrect in human form. Last man or team standing wins. Survivors can be played by two to six players.

Onslaught sees two players go head to head in an attempt to clear waves of oncoming enemies. Chaining combos provides the key to success in Onslaught as this will send enemies over to the opponent’s screen, the more that are sent over, the quicker the victory will be.

Furthermore, December 17, will also see the release of a free title update for Resident Evil 6 that will allow owners to adjust the in-game camera to give a greater field of view as best suits their play style, while those who want to combine English language audio with subtitles in their desired language will now be able to do so. Also included in the title update is an unlock for Ada Wong’s campaign that adds an optional player-controlled co-op partner for that story, and the aptly named No Hope difficulty level, for those who want an extreme challenge.

http://majornelson.com/2012/12/05/resident-evil-6-to-deliver-new-content-on-december-18/

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I see that they just posted two new levels for Mercenaries, too.

Problem is that I have had no desire to play this game for the past month. Even at $2, I just don't feel motivated to DL them and play it right now. Maybe in a couple of weeks, when they add the expanded camera, I'll give it another try.

I'm really curious to see how Capcom is going to follow this up. They can't go back to a more primitive play style. The game mechanics are solid, and the combat is a lot deeper than people may think. The engine works.

They really need to scale it back from all the explosions and set pieces, though.