Old memory resurfaces, the Neo mini

Nightmare Tony

*Account control passed, on to Tony's family.Ex Ro
Don't think I ever mentioned this one before. A chat thing someone said about a neo candy brought back this memory, my final unfinished side project at SNK.

We brought in a Neo Mini. Never heard of this unit? It was a tabletop CRANE machine. Not video at all.
http://www.nightmarepark.com/public/Pictures/Meadowbrook/Neo Mini crane manual.JPG

http://just-amusement.com/machine_lineup.html
(the only picture I can find on the internet about it)

the problem was that it could not be tested since it did not conform to California state law. It used a button for up and then a button for right. Releasing the button then let it go down.

California state law requires a 4 way joystick and drop button. so my assignment was to redesign and reprogram the bugger to conform.

Got as far as hardware mod, was going into memory and dissembly (Z80 clone chip, flatpack if I remember correctly, the same cpu used for sound on the later neo geos). that uis when the Neo Print came in, so then it was time for what proved to be a red hot monster.

so just a little trivia I thought you might enjoy. To date,I do not think it was ever released in the USA. A shame, it was so delightfully cute.

Last edited:

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
good stuff tony, I have seen very little info on this machine..

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
damn Tony that's really neat! I wonder if any members here had seen them in the wild in Japan. Or how sweet it would be if one popped up on Yahoo Auctions Japan. Very interesting about the CA state law mandate also, now whenever I tell people about the wacky labor laws I endured while living there, I will mention there was also a joystick law as well lol.

Last edited:

Nightmare Tony

damn Tony that's really neat! I wonder if any members here have seen them in the wild in Japan. Or how sweet it would be if one popped up on Yahoo Auctions Japan. Very interesting about the CA state law mandate also, now whenever I tell people about the wacky labor laws I endured while living there, I will mention there was also a joystick law as well lol.

One website has one as wanted,another sold as part of a family entertainment center. The sale site in Japan was the only picture I found, other than the manual on Ebay. I think 3 or 4 machines came in, wouldnt be surprised if the US ones were those.

One game I wish I had more information was a giant redemption mechanical version of The Irritating Maze. It came over in a GIANT crate and went to the show. I never seen it set up at work. Used to have a tiny videoclip of the show back when it wasa TV show in Japan. Absolutely bonkers. I figure this machine was some 20 feet wide and used strobe lights and a fog machine to simulate when you lost.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
translated description from the site Tony linked to:

"Neomini" crane game machine is compact, space-saving design that can be installed anywhere.
Amount of the lottery to take at one time is about up to 40 sheets. Point by collecting lottery Unlike traditional lottery, you can choose the prize you want to GET.
Always put popular products, premiums will be changed periodically. Repeat customer rate is outstanding!

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
6mGxA.jpg

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
"lottery" probably equals "prize"

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
That is too cool! I'd love to get one of those off yahoo japan at some point and put little capsule prizes in it for my son. Thanks for this cool bit of SNK history Tony!

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
Cheers for that info Tony :), crane machines are everywhere at my locl arcades these days.

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
That's pretty awesome. I don't think I've seen one of these before.

Nightmare Tony

That's pretty awesome. I don't think I've seen one of these before.

I wish I was able to finish the modification to make it releasable. Sigh.

one other ubnit that never came out that was shown was the giant version of Irabou Densu. 20 feet wide or so. I can't find anything on the internet about it.