Gift and project for Neo Geo hardware hacker types

Nightmare Tony

*Account control passed, on to Tony's family.Ex Ro
I had mentioned that while at SNK I had designed a steering wheel addition to the Neo Geo to play some serious Thrash Rally. This was shown at some trade shows but did not garner enough attention to warrant manufacture, sadly.

And so I present to you the schematic for making it yourself.

Sure, there is a long set of rules about it. I am leery of someone taking it and selling on their own without getting legal permission and licensing from me. this is for your own personal use if you want the challenge to add this bit of controller festivities to Thrash Rally.

If you DO wish to make a kit to sell of this, please do contact me first for arrangements.

Enjoy!

http://www.nightmarepark.com/6502/Neo Geo Steering Wheel Schematic.pdf

Last edited:

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
Thanks for posting this. I have been curious about how this was done ever since I first read about it a while ago.

aria

Former Moderator
This is so damn cool. I actually really like Thrash Rally so this would be fun to have for it.

Nightmare Tony

Thanks for posting this. I have been curious about how this was done ever since I first read about it a while ago.

No problem and you are welcome to build your own for personal use. It was done on a breadboard for the prototype. I have my pictures from SNK over here so once I scan I will post those pertaining to this project.

I will not release the ticket dispenser Neo Geo project because it is all complicated as heck and I lost my source code and schematics. On that one, I spied on the data and address bus using 74245 buffers and flagging when the score memory location was hit. It fed into an Apple 2E to process all that goofiness.

aria

Former Moderator
This is such a neat thing that I've put a noticed at the top of the forum and deleted the two Kiwi references (because he doesn't deserve any attention here). Expect more people reading about it.

Nightmare Tony

This is such a neat thing that I've put a noticed at the top of the forum and deleted the two Kiwi references (because he doesn't deserve any attention here). Expect more people reading about it.

Thanks! A gift for the community. Those who want to try it, go for it.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Thank you so much Tony. What this will work great with is the Pop 'n Bounce project I'm working on.

Nightmare Tony

Thank you so much Tony. What this will work great with is the Pop 'n Bounce project I'm working on.

Does Pop N Bounce use the LR joystick inputs? From what I read, it may not help with that project. Worth a shot, though...

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
Is there enough info to possibly re-create the actual hardware on a 3d-printer or something similar?

Nightmare Tony

Is there enough info to possibly re-create the actual hardware on a 3d-printer or something similar?

The hardware is simple.

Happ steering wheel. Drill holes, mount in Neo panel.
Floor pedal with push button to wire tot he A pushbutton
Circuit linked to convert the steeling pulses to LR signals.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
This is really cool of you! Someone build one and post up some pics!

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
So this decodes a "wagon wheel" rotary encoder to CW/CCW (L/R) pulses? All in analog? I bow before you.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
thank you Nightmare Tony

time to convert a ps2 or ps3 wheel for the aes

Nightmare Tony

So this decodes a "wagon wheel" rotary encoder to CW/CCW (L/R) pulses? All in analog? I bow before you.

No, all digital, it uses the 90 degree offset type optical encoder. So a Centipede or Tempest control can be used on it. The upper flip flop tells direction and the lower one shot times the pulses to a solid signal so there is a kind of control where if you turn slowly, it turns more slowly.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
Cool, is the prototype still out there ? as an official unproduced neo geo accessory would be worth a small fortune.