Something I've been working on.

NeoHomeBrew

Overtop Pathfinder
Hi, I would be very interested to buy it but I need a NeoBiosMasta for NGCD which seems to be not available anymore on neogeofanclub.com?

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Hi, I would be very interested to buy it but I need a NeoBiosMasta for NGCD which seems to be not available anymore on neogeofanclub.com?

These will be available soon. I am modifying the design slightly. These will probably be ready around the same time Mike's PC2Neos are.

Talked to Mike, and we should be able to ship these together. We live about an hour apart, so once things are finalized I can drive a batch over to him for shipment.

Last edited:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
jojo23, talk to mikew arrange the deal. He will sort everything out for you.

Raz

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
so what's the advantage of running this set up over running an AES/MVS?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
It is a lot faster than the pc2neo Parallel version with transfers. Apart from that the usability is the same on the MVS/AES.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Got some new information and video for you guys.....

First off I have to give a big thanks to Brian for giving me a Top Loader. It has certainly made things a lot easier in relation to testing although we have done quite well up to this point. Having the system however has allowed us to polish a few things given I can finally see it all in action myself. Since the last update the following 3 things have been done.

Added RLE compression & real time decompression on the data transfer. This gives a nice speed boost on data that compresses well. Its very touchy at present but hopefully we have the quirks ironed out.

Logo Screens now show when using PC-2-NEO to load a CD based game. Apart from the first PC-2-NEO screen games now look more like they do when they load from an original CD. It makes the experience better if you just want to play a few rounds.

The CD protection has been removed from the bios. This was needed as systems with broken CD drives could still trip it.

Below is a video showing KOF96 loading..... I only realised after that I had a KOF99 CD in the drive as you can tell from the audio.

Valt C

n00b
WOW Raz, I'm speechless.....
I was already measuring some loading times and what I got approx. is this:
Spoiler:

KOF 96 - INITIAL LOAD

NEO CDZ ~26 secs
TOP LOADER ~38-40 secs (didn't spend much time with this one)
PC2NEO TURFDEMO ~20
PC2NEO RAZDEMO ~14 secs or less

1st round

NEO CDZ ~30 secs
TOP LOADER "don't have data yet"
PC2NEO TURFDEMO ~20
PC2NEO RAZDEMO ~13 secs or less

I still have to grab my jaw, but considering those demos and how massive the initial loads usually are in normal systems.... AOF3 and Last Blades can become enjoyable.

I hope that I have some money left soon to grab one with Mike.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
You rock Raz. It's amazing how much you have cut loading times.

For those interested in the NeoCD NeoBiosMasta, I should be finished with some testing of a new version this weekend.

td741

, NOTE: Please add 16 points to his feedback., --
Out of curiosity, would it be possible to use the compression algorithm on CDs themselves. (I.E. Have compressed data on the disk that a special bios could read?)

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Out of curiosity, would it be possible to use the compression algorithm on CDs themselves. (I.E. Have compressed data on the disk that a special bios could read?)

Some games already do that. (That's what OBJ files are). Its implemented very poorly though and that said it would not be very fast because it would not be done on the fly.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Got a new video to show you. This one shows more what its all about....

While watching this remember this is all on a NeoGeo CD Top Loader :cool:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Hey Raz pal...

...Can I watch Bluray MKV files on this?... That would be awesome...

xROTx

PS. Great work man...

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Another new video, this one shows a game uploading from a version of PC-2-NEO on a CD disk.

While you will get the best out of PC-2-NEO using a custom bios it is possible to do some stuff if you do not want to mod the CD system itself. You are somewhat limited though, for example you cannot load CD games via PC-2-NEO when using a boot disk.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Really enjoying reading the updates on this. This is great work. Please keep them coming!

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Here is a video showing Last Blade 2 loading.

Valt C

n00b
So sad that I can't see videos now... God help me!!!

Edit: Can someone describe for me.... oh boy

Last edited:

Valt C

n00b
Can you not access youtube from Brazil? You could use a proxy.

In that specific moment I couldn't do a thing at work and when I could check on my cell phone, the battery died......

BTW, awesome Raz, really great!!!

Cheers!

Last edited: