Something I've been working on.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Here is a new Video NeoTurfMasta has made of the current device in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGDaug4JSIk

I feel the hardware/bios side is about done, just needs a little work in understanding a couple of things with certain file types used by some games that need to be handled correctly by the PC side software. Like the video says CD audio tracks are not possible to play via MP3 on PC. If there is a CD drive on the CD system however it does play CD audio tracks from an inserted CD.

I think NurfMasta will do a video showing the dumping of a CD bios without hardware mod needed to the CD system. Maybe he will also do a video showing the CD system running a game using the DEV part of the bios also. This is actually the best part of it for the homebrew crowd.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
woha, this is a nice update! Totally hot stuff. Thank you for keeping up the awesome work you guys do.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Wow that's pretty awesome! Too bad (according to NeoTurfMasta) that this isn't possible with the MVS system due to the difference in mappers.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
It does work on a MVS system. You are just limited to uploading to RAM so you can't upload entire games.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
It does work on a MVS system. You are just limited to uploading to RAM so you can't upload entire games.

Yeah I don't remember saying it doesn't work on MVS, a guy on youtube posted that. I can do a video of it working on a mvs/home cart board as well.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Make a video on the CD system with it using the DEV mode bios and load a small MVS game :)

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Yeah I don't remember saying it doesn't work on MVS, a guy on youtube posted that. I can do a video of it working on a mvs/home cart board as well.
For real? I'd love to see that. Will there still be pauses for loading?

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Hi xsq,

I posted a video of this over a year ago actually, here's an earlier version of the system running an MVS game, there's no pausing for loading once the game is in memory. You'll also see that the Universe BIOS also works on the NGCD. Please keep in mind we've made a lot of performance improvements and bug fixes since this video was shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyxdig2wb8Q

Last edited:

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Cool stuff guys, keep it coming!
Brian, I'm pretty sure you already tried every combo, but I had a brief read to the topic, about expanding NGCD's RAM, is it possible to try bigger modules in the available sockets, bypassing the embedded ram (cutting some lead)? If I understand correctly, the extra sockets overlap with the embedded ones right?
Or in case, would swap SM RAM with bigger modules work?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Hi xsq,

I posted a video of this over a year ago actually, here's an earlier version of the system running an MVS game, there's no pausing for loading once the game is in memory. You'll also see that the Universe BIOS also works on the NGCD. Please keep in mind we've made a lot of performance improvements and bug fixes since this video was shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyxdig2wb8Q

A new video like this would be cool, the WDUD should be fixed and I can't remember if speed improved since that video was done.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Uploaded a video of the proto NeoCD running and dumping the bios.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1lIz3D1qEA

Hmmm. That seemed to take a long time to load, what is happening during the time you first init CD loading from the radio OSD until the monkey anim shows up? I also have to center the PC-2-NEO OSD when loading it from CD disc. I'll get Mike a new version to make a new image to test.

Last edited:

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
A new video like this would be cool, the WDUD should be fixed and I can't remember if speed improved since that video was done.

I'll do another video today if I have a chance.

Hmmm. That seemed to take a long time to load, what is happening during the time you first init CD loading from the radio OSD until the monkey anim shows up? I also have to center the PC-2-NEO OSD when loading it from CD disc. I'll get Mike a new version to make a new image to test.

Didn't seem like it took that long to me. Once it hit the CD player menu, it was only 4 seconds till the Press Start option came up.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I have just noticed in your video that you are using quite a long joystick extension cable. Myself and Mike had issues with long cables so I'm a little surprised that its working with that cable.... Maybe its due to the buffers Mike added to the PCB. Its good news though, that said you may find that if you use a much smaller cable attached from the PC2NEO to the NeoGeo you might get a speed boost. My cable for example is only about 15cm total.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Didn't seem like it took that long to me. Once it hit the CD player menu, it was only 4 seconds till the Press Start option came up.

I'm talking about the blank screen delay after you press start until the monkey shows. I'm trying to understand what the system is doing during that time because I don't think loading starts until the monkey shows yes? Given I have never seen any NeoGeo CD system first hand maybe its normal but it does seem a long delay there so I guess something must be happening.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I'm using a long joystick extension cable. I'll build a shorter one, but it's has been working fine with it.

I'll try the updated boot disk and see if that delay goes away.

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
NeoTurfMasta,

Don't worry about the cable length, the cable I use is about 6' and that will be fine with the current hardware.

Mike

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Yeah cool news if you dumping this proto-bios, and finish this project to USB/NEO CD, 2014 beginning very well

titan

n00b
Wow.
I'd really like to add something with substance to the thread - but i can't. :drool:
This is glorious. Now i have to get a cd unit too.

brb - *putting in overtime

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Mike is going to get 5 PC-2-NEO's made up for sale. The price for it is going to be 140 USD + 10USD shipping. That is for the PC-2-NEO, USB cable and CD disc to load NeoGeo software on CD system. In this state it is usable to upload and run code on the CD system (homebrew that does not require ingame CD loading). You will need to find or make your own joystick extension cable to connect the PC-2NEO to the NeoGeo

The unibios part of this is free but you will need a CD biosmasta from Brian and EPROM if your going to use the bios. Only the Top Loading CD system is supported at this time. With this the CD system can behave like an MVS. The bios will soon be released with ongoing updates

The PC-2-NEO will work on MVS/AES with a unibios 3.1 (or later) installed. You are very limited in what you can do on these systems compared to the CD system.

Are there any takers for these first 5?

Last edited:

Valt C

n00b
Wow. :buttrock:

I would easily buy one..... but I'm afraid that the best use for these first units is for developers, isn't?

The only thing that I'm able to do besides being a casual gamer is some hardmods.... in that case I hope to use a biosmasta soon....:drool_2: