Something I've been working on.

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
NeoTurfMasta is correct, a NeoBiosMasta will make your life a lot easier if you plan on installing a replacement BIOS in a NEOCD toploader. It's a very clever design, thanks NeoTurfMasta!

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Yup, pc will be required (mac and other should be possible also). Every MVS game would be compatable if there was a way to increase the cache.

About the cuerrent speeds. The current protocol uses 8 data lines, on the MVS we can get speeds of 150k/s. On the CD system the joysticks are hooked up a little differently internally and that slows things down to around 120k/s. we could go 16bit and double the speed in theory. There are other ways to give an even higher speed also but would require internal modding. USB transfer rates are not the limiting factor at present.

Nice work, raz.

I'm currious about the internal mod.

The slow CD load time is what made me get rid of my CD system.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
good shit, thanks for sharing

i will never forget you saving the day with sam sho 5 special

after showing us this, hopefully you will not disappear a few months later and then delete your facebook and twitter accounts, never to be heard from again

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Does the uploading of the Unibios overwrites the original one in the NGCD?

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
You bypass the original BIOS with the NeoBiosMasta which can contain a UniBIOS. It would be simple to take off the NeoBiosMasta and revert to the original BIOS.

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
Also wanted to add that once this is done, the CD version of the NeoBiosMasta allows you to install this bios quickly and easily ;)

From the thread you mentioned earlier I recall that there were problems when trying to close the system with the neo bios masta, but also that murray's system (direct replacement for a FL) worked fine, any findings or updates on that NTM?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Nice work, raz.

I'm currious about the internal mod.

The slow CD load time is what made me get rid of my CD system.

What you see in the video requires no internal modding. Once finished the complete thing will require internal modding but as already pointed out with the NeoBiosMasta its not hard.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Does the uploading of the Unibios overwrites the original one in the NGCD?

The video does not upload the unibios, it simply uploads a section of code from that bios into RAM that has then been modified to work on the CD system.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
This means work on the Neo Geo CD UniBIOS will commence again, right?

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
It's great that with all the negative words in the drama threads recently, there are positives coming out of the increased activity here such as this and Nightmare Tony's thread

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
I've heard about this but haven't seen it actually working until this thread. Looks great. Easily the best way to trial homebrew on real hardware right now. I see the original NeoCD chips on the MV1A plus a few extras for cart-only stuff so the potential must be there for an expansion to play bigger games, but the extent of stuff that has to be added/modified makes me doubt it'll happen before a flashcart appears. Definitely possible though but not as simple as the attempt at trying to fill the empty pads on a CDZ.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Very interesting. Can't wait to see the final version. You really take this hobby to the next level, Raz.

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
First, congratulations for your work, I'm a big fan, with unibios on every neo geo I had (except the NGCD)

Is it really impossible to make a PC free solution? From what I can tell the instructions of which file to get are passed by the computer but this could be implemented on the bios side.
Or at least a bootup CD with the instructions for each individual game and a storage device on the 2p controller port.

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
Raz can you post pics of the PC2NeoCD cable?

any plans on a kit release for the UB-CD and cable?

I am happy to see the Neo-cd is getting some love at last!

I am just shooting in the dark here but:
Is it possible to bypass the bottleneck by adding a daughter board with increased ram to make some sort of pre buffering with updated instructions from the bios? even a dual bank to switch to a preloaded bank from the one in use? I know NTM can do a great job on that if possible!

Last edited:

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Gives me a reason to start actively looking for a Neo CD again. Awesome work, Raz!

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Great work Raz, good to see modifications are still being dreamt up and created.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Me and Mike have spend a few days working on this and while we have had some hiccups which need solving we have also made some really good progress.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Me and Mike have spend a few days working on this and while we have had some hiccups which need solving we have also made some really good progress.
Awesome! I'm actively watching this thread for any new news. Keep up the good work!