MSX Boot Or No Boot?

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Not sure. This line right here though;
"I BOUGHT THIS FROM A VERY REPUTABLE PERSON. IVE NEVER OPENED THIS CART NOR WILL I BASED ON THE CIRCLE OF PEOPLE I BROUGHT FROM."

That's a line of bullshit. He's saying that since he's confident in the people he bought it from, you should be too. Oh yeah, and it also means that he's saying outright that it might be a boot.

Easy pass decision.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The source is so reputable that he shall not be named...

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Its a real one, or sure does look to be.

You can tell a real Metal Slug X without opening the cart, ill post a pic of why and how soon.

NEO-GEO man

Ok, here is the pic, see the board colours? The back board is the PROG board, in this case is an EOP, which is dark grey in colour ( only used in this game, and always dark grey ). The bootlegs use a PROG BK1 in place of the PROG EOP, and the BK1 is either green or tan in colour, never dark grey.

IMG_0148.jpg

If it is like that, there is no need to open it up. Cant get the EOP from any other game, and the only other way is using a BK1.

Last edited:

TLH

Zero's Secretary
Are you sure that "ALL" X carts had the gray board? I have an X and it does follow your pattern, but I know of other carts that I have seen in the past that were green both boards. Are you saying that those have to be boots? These carts were advertised with a box and instructions and looked legit. If they were not, someone must have had a Komori or Hidelberg printer. This is truly great information if there were no other boards used as you stated. Thanks,

Waverider2049

Kula's Candy
I just checked my copy of MSX JP and it's true. Does this kind of practice happen for MS3 carts as well? What should those board colors be?

NEO-GEO man

Are you sure that "ALL" X carts had the gray board? I have an X and it does follow your pattern, but I know of other carts that I have seen in the past that were green both boards. Are you saying that those have to be boots? These carts were advertised with a box and instructions and looked legit. If they were not, someone must have had a Komori or Hidelberg printer. This is truly great information if there were no other boards used as you stated. Thanks,
Yes, have a look on MVS scans and it will give you abit of idea about the boards used. This is the only game to use a PROG EOP, no other game uses it. Loads of games have 2 green boards, 2 tan boards, a green and a tan, grey and tan, grey and green and even 2 grey.

But when it comes to slug X, if its got two green boards, or a green and a tan, itll need to be opened to see if its a conversion or boot leg.

Waverider, i think both are dark grey in MS3, id have to look.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Its a real one, or sure does look to be.

You can tell a real Metal Slug X without opening the cart, ill post a pic of why and how soon.

Still doesn't matter as there was no pic of the boards colors posted in the listing. That is omitted and the seller is saying he won't open it. Red flags like crazy.

If it looks to be real and you can't see the contacts, what are you basing that assertion on?

NEO-GEO man

Still doesn't matter as there was no pic of the boards colors posted in the listing. That is omitted and the seller is saying he won't open it. Red flags like crazy.

If it looks to be real and you can't see the contacts, what are you basing that assertion on?

Experience. What are you basing yours on? And there is a very good chance the seller doesnt know about the board colour difference.

If that back board is dark grey, there is no reason what so ever for the cart to be opened. What do you hope to see? There is no other dark grey PROG board that will take the place of the EOP.

Whats more, i wouldnt pay as much for a game that has been opened by someone i dont know is capable. This isnt an MVS cart...

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
What am I basing mine on? Hehe, I'm basing the pass decision on the fact that the cart cannot be conclusively identified as legitimate and the seller refuses to post identifying pics or open it. This is exactly the same as the seller stating out right that it might be a boot.

You said that the cart looks real and that it's easy to tell by the color of the boards. There is nowhere in the seller's pics that show the boards (probably not an accident either). Therefore, I'm asking you why you think it's real when the criteria you use to identify the cart isn't present in the listing. Your response was to say, "experience". Really? So just looking at a cart shell tells you what's inside? If you think that's the case, it's clear you don't have much experience at all.

I'm not saying the cart isn't real. I am saying that there is enough there in question to pass on a $1,000 purchase.
You may be right, the seller may have no idea about the board color difference. What we do know for a fact however, is that the seller is certainly aware that bootlegs exist and is prefacing the sale with the remark that he's not going to make sure it's properly identified.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Imagine if the seller tried to open the cart like this.

NEO-GEO man

What am I basing mine on? Hehe, I'm basing the pass decision on the fact that the cart cannot be conclusively identified as legitimate and the seller refuses to post identifying pics or open it. This is exactly the same as the seller stating out right that it might be a boot.

You said that the cart looks real and that it's easy to tell by the color of the boards. There is nowhere in the seller's pics that show the boards (probably not an accident either). Therefore, I'm asking you why you think it's real when the criteria you use to identify the cart isn't present in the listing. Your response was to say, "experience". Really? So just looking at a cart shell tells you what's inside? If you think that's the case, it's clear you don't have much experience at all.

I'm not saying the cart isn't real. I am saying that there is enough there in question to pass on a $1,000 purchase.
You may be right, the seller may have no idea about the board color difference. What we do know for a fact however, is that the seller is certainly aware that bootlegs exist and is prefacing the sale with the remark that he's not going to make sure it's properly identified.

90 plus home carts, over 60 MVS carts and 21 years is not much experience in your book is it? Im yet to see a conversion that was every bit as good as a genuine when it come to art.

Who said i need to know what is inside? Look at the labels on the cart... The pics are good enough to be able to see it is an exceptional replica if it is. I also never said it is 100% certainly real either, but im a good 95% confident on it, and ill bet if someone knew to ask about showing an image simular to the one i showed, there wouldnt be an issue getting one, but no one asked, and ill bet its cause they didnt think to or even know to. Did you know before i showed it?

Ill re-write it again incase you mis-interpreted the way i wrote it before. It doesnt need to be opened to be proven genuine. It is probably the ONLY game that shows an obvious difference when either bootlegged or converted. Only Metal Slug X has the EOP board. It is always dark grey. The BK1 board is never dark grey. Ive never ever seen one that colour. There are other PROG boards that are dark grey, but they are not suitable or practical to be used for a Metal Slug X conversion or bootleg.

Imagine if the seller tried to open the cart like this.

EXACTLY my point yes!! Might be a cheapish and reasonably common cart, but they still just f***ed what looked like a good condition cart...

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
The OP asked about the specific listing and whether or not it was real, you said that it was a real one, and then went on to talk about the board color difference, something which is NOT present in the listing that the OP asked about. I didn't misinterpret anything with regard to you pointing out the color difference in the boards. I'm saying that that doesn't make two shits of difference if the auction that the OP is asking about doesn't in any way show the board colors. Therefore, that information can not be relied upon in THIS PARTICULAR CASE.
What is really so goddamned hard to understand about that?

I don't care how many carts you own. If you are going to look at low res pics online of a cart shell and nothing else and attest to your 95% certain that the cart is legit, you don't know what you're talking about.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...selves!-High-Quality-Counterfeiting-Has-Begun

and that was 3 years ago.

You just cannot attest to legitimacy when all you have is a cart shell. You know better.

Last edited:

NEO-GEO man

Think you better go back and re-read what i said and keep reading it til it sinks in and you understand it.

And then quote where i said the cart shell is where i make my call... You wont be able to, cause i didnt.

Further more, i told you what to ask for WITHOUT opening the cart, and you still havent acknowedged that it can prove legitamcy either. I didnt say id seen pics, i told you what pucs to ask for, but you still seem to think the cart needs to be opened....

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Thanks to your tip, the cart does not need to be opened. It's a great tip and I believe what you're saying. Maybe you can start a thread and point it out. I'm sure that would be very useful to a lot of people.

It doesn't change the fact however, that it's not something that can be examined here. You're here telling the OP that the specific cart he asked about is legit when the method used to determine authenticity CANNOT BE USED. So while you might be right that the cart is legit, you might also be wrong. In other words, you're talking out of your ass.

I also never said that the cart must be opened, but I was pointing out the attitude of the seller with regard to questions about authenticity. It's really quite telling. But that isn't really important to you. What's important to you is to hijack the thread and beat your chest and talk about all of your experience, none of which is helpful to the OP in determining whether or not the SPECIFIC CART he was asking about is legit or not.

In any case, I'm glad we've had our little hash out so that the buyer can make a choice for himself. Helping the buyer make a decision here was my only goal, so the rest of what's to come with all of your backpedaling, non-sequiturs, and hurt pride wasn't ever an issue that the OP or myself should be concerned with. The main issue is that fraud is rampant in AES, and people are being taken for thousands regularly. People like you that encourage the buyer when they have no way of knowing one way or the other should stfu.

Last edited:

NEO-GEO man

Thanks to your tip, the cart does not need to be opened. It's a great tip and I believe what you're saying. Maybe you can start a thread and point it out. I'm sure that would be very useful to a lot of people.

Not a problem at all. Happy to help those that appreciate it.

It doesn't change the fact however, that it's not something that can be examined here. You're here telling the OP that the specific cart he asked about is legit when the method used to determine authenticity CANNOT BE USED. So while you might be right that the cart is legit, you might also be wrong. In other words, you're talking out of your ass.

Go back and read it again. I never said at any point for 100% certain that is real and genuine. I finished out the line with the words "Sure does look to be" which is by no means a 100% certainty is it. The method i suggest CAN BE USED, ask for the fucken pics!!! Its not hard is it. No... Its very simple.

I also never said that the cart must be opened, but I was pointing out the attitude of the seller with regard to questions about authenticity. It's really quite telling. But that isn't really important to you. What's important to you is to hijack the thread and beat your chest and talk about all of your experience, none of which is helpful to the OP in determining whether or not the SPECIFIC CART he was asking about is legit or not.

Forget about the attitude, it doesnt tell you anything. My experience, if you would bother to understand what i said in the first place, gave the OP a question to ask the seller about taking a picture of the bottom of the cart. That was not a response i saw here from you or anyone else, so that is NOT a hijack. What you then said is they wont open the cart so that means its not real.

If the OP was going to ASK THE QUESTION I SAID TO ASK, then there would be no doubt about this cart's athenticity would there??

THAT my friend is the point i continue to make, and you continue to ignore.

In any case, I'm glad we've had our little hash out so that the buyer can make a choice for himself. Helping the buyer make a decision here was my only goal, so the rest of what's to come with all of your backpedaling, non-sequiturs, and hurt pride wasn't ever an issue that the OP or myself should be concerned with. The main issue is that fraud is rampant in AES, and people are being taken for thousands regularly. People like you that encourage the buyer when they have no way of knowing one way or the other should stfu.

Back peddling?? Show me where i was back peddling?? I stand 100% by every word ive said in this thread, and will continue to do so unless some one can prove beyond doubt that i am wrong.

People like me TOLD HIM WHAT TO ASK FOR, meanwhile you kept on questioning what you didnt even understand!! I even showed what to ask for and what should be seen in a real one. What more do you need?

I know as well as anyone here that piracy is all over the place, and i did not suggest he buy anything on a whim, nor even encourage him at all. I couldnt give a fuck if he buys it or not!!. This is what you seem to be convinced i said, and i continue to maintain the fact that i did not. I collect home carts... I know better than most what is out there.

Further more, i want to know, did you ask for the pics? Did the OP or anyone else ask for the pics? I dont see it written here anywhere...

Waverider2049

Kula's Candy
Hey Neo-Geo man I did ask for the pics and he did send them to me. It matched your Green and Dark Gray board statement. The seller ended up re-listing it and then pulled it from auction stating he decided to keep it.