MVS Cart Red Warning Screen

jon713

Camel Slug
12641z7.jpg

I've been wanting to take care of this problem for a while but haven't been able to get around to it. :annoyed:

There only a few games that I have that give me this warning when I turn on my 4 slotter. Its kinda random if they play or not, or if they do play when I press the switch game button it takes me to that same warning. These are the games:
Rage of the Dragons (almost always)
KOF 2000 (almost always)
RealBout 2 Newcomers (sometimes)
101 Multi-cart (sometimes)

I've also tried to just place one cart at a time but it still gives me the warning.

Could it be a boot cart problem? I don't think my carts are boots though, except for the multi-cart.

I have an older version of the 4 slot, and changed the bios chip to a Japanese version. Anyone else seen this screen before? Would swapping back the bios fix this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
12641z7.jpg

I've been wanting to take care of this problem for a while but haven't been able to get around to it. :annoyed:

There only a few games that I have that give me this warning when I turn on my 4 slotter. Its kinda random if they play or not, or if they do play when I press the switch game button it takes me to that same warning. These are the games:
Rage of the Dragons (almost always)
KOF 2000 (almost always)
RealBout 2 Newcomers (sometimes)
101 Multi-cart (sometimes)

Could it be a boot cart problem? I don't think my carts are boots though.

I have an older version of the 4 slot, and changed the bios chip to a Japanese version. Anyone else seen this screen before? Would swapping back the bios fix this?

Any help would be appreciated.

maybe try the unibios? my metal slug x used to do it all the time on my 2 slot board, but it worked fine after a unibios upgrade. dont know if that would help

ne7

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
a unibios will def. sort this out - I have never seen this screen on any of my carts and have had all of those games running loads on my old version 4slot at one time or another :)

jon713

Camel Slug
I had two extra bios and tested them out and they all do the same thing with ROTD. I think the Uni-bios is the way to go, I wonder why it does this though? Is the older 4 slot glitchy?

But Panda said that it happen on his 2 slotter, so weird...

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
I had two extra bios and tested them out and they all do the same thing with ROTD. I think the Uni-bios is the way to go, I wonder why it does this though? Is the older 4 slot glitchy?

But Panda said that it happen on his 2 slotter, so weird...

A good question. I couldn't say. I've gone through many boards with every bios out there, along with a variety of carts and have never seen that screen.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
A good question. I couldn't say. I've gone through many boards with every bios out there, along with a variety of carts and have never seen that screen.
its strange, as the ONLY cart it did it with was metal slug x

jon, does the board have a battery on it? if so, try clearing the back up ram in the bios menu..

Last edited:

jon713

Camel Slug
No battery took it out when I got the mobo.

Yea kof2000 and ROTD are the only carts that do this. So far RB2 seems to be working fine now, been playing for a few hours.

Is there anything else I can reset?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
No battery took it out when I got the mobo.

Yea kof2000 and ROTD are the only carts that do this. So far RB2 seems to be working fine now, been playing for a few hours.

Is there anything else I can reset?

not really, i just think maybe you should give the unibios a try and see if that works for ya

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Ok, you are not the first person to have this problem on a multi slot..... First try clearing the backupRAM does that fix the issue?

If not and you have a unibios do the following 2 patches from the ingame menu...

0x00 0x3a001d
0x00 0xd00101

Then soft reset. Because you have no battery I suspect you may have to do this each time you power on.

Last edited:

ne7

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
oh I totally forgot to mention that you really shouldn't stick one of those weird x-in-1 carts into a MVS alongside other games - afaik they don't play nice with other carts...

jon713

Camel Slug
Ok, you are not the first person to have this problem on a multi slot..... First try clearing the backupRAM does that fix the issue?

If not and you have a unibios do the following 2 patches from the ingame menu...

0x00 0x3a001d
0x00 0xd00101

Then soft reset. Because you have no battery I suspect you may have to do this each time you power on.

Yes I just cleared the backup ram and it still did the same thing. I don't have a uni-bios but will order one soon. Thanks for the help, Razoola.

oh I totally forgot to mention that you really shouldn't stick one of those weird x-in-1 carts into a MVS alongside other games - afaik they don't play nice with other carts...

I sold my multi-cart, I just didn't like the feel of it, I rather play the originals. But it was just one of the carts that did this error, it was also always the only cart in my 4 slotter.

I will update this, once I get my uni-bios.

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
I only get that screen on my Kof2k when playing on an mv1fz with Jap bios with no bat, on another 1fz with eur bios and with an bat, i didnt get that screen.

ON my Jap, i just reset the Mvs (on-off) until it starts, always worked for me (so far)

@kidpanda
I never got issues with my MSX

My thoughts are :

1: Its due to the Japanese Bios
2 : Its due to the NO battery
3 : Both

TR0N82

n00b
Hi Guys! I'm new to the board and a proud MVS owner. I just got this warning recently on my single slot cab. I got the warning when I put in Metal Slug 5 which worked like new several times with out issue. I even opened the cart to inspect it to see if it was legit, which it is. I have put other games in since then which are also legit not bootlegs. I am relatively new to the arcade cabinet owner world and would love to be able to solve this issue as soon as possible. Metal Slug 5 is calling me. Thanks for your time.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Hi Guys! I'm new to the board and a proud MVS owner. I just got this warning recently on my single slot cab. I got the warning when I put in Metal Slug 5 which worked like new several times with out issue. I even opened the cart to inspect it to see if it was legit, which it is. I have put other games in since then which are also legit not bootlegs. I am relatively new to the arcade cabinet owner world and would love to be able to solve this issue as soon as possible. Metal Slug 5 is calling me. Thanks for your time.

Get the Unibios.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Do a clear backup on the test menu. It'll clear your problem. :)

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Weird, I would always get this on my 4-slot with Metal Slug X and I just figured it was part of the game, I never had a problem actually playing it. Now that I only have an Omega and haven't seen this screen did I realize it was something abnormal.

Metlcub

n00b
Friend of mine used to get that all the time with his Metal Slugx on his multi slot boards. But on a MV1s it stopped.. IMO it's something to do with a multislot board.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Friend of mine used to get that all the time with his Metal Slugx on his multi slot boards. But on a MV1s it stopped.. IMO it's something to do with a multislot board.

It has nothing to do with being with a multislot.
I've had that red warning screen on various MV1B's.

It happened to me with KOF97 tho. Never had an issue with MSX.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I JUST had this same problem with an MV2 with Sengoku 3 and Metal Slug 5. The battery was dead and corroded.I removed the dead battery and performed the keystone mod/cell coin battery mod without even installing the CR2032 and the problem went away.
I'm thinking the problem would have went away if I just removed the 470 ohm resistor alone.

EDIT After allowing the board to sit for awhile,I went back to it and up came the WARNING sign.I added the CR2032 battery,turned on the system with no game inside and cleared the backup ram. Game is running fine again.
With all this being stated,just replace your battery and then clear the battery backup or do the mod with a new battery and clear the battery backup ram.
BB

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I JUST had this same problem with an MV2 with Sengoku 3 and Metal Slug 5. The battery was dead and corroded.I removed the dead battery and performed the keystone mod/cell coin battery mod without even installing the CR2032 and the problem went away.
I'm thinking the problem would have went away if I just removed the 470 ohm resistor alone.

EDIT After allowing the board to sit for awhile,I went back to it and up came the WARNING sign.I added the CR2032 battery,turned on the system with no game inside and cleared the backup ram. Game is running fine again.
With all this being stated,just replace your battery and then clear the battery backup or do the mod with a new battery and clear the battery backup ram.
BB

Yeah, was going to say, I saw the same thing when I was running a two-slot without a battery in it for a little while. The MVS just doesn't like being run without a battery, I think... Must just slowly be corrupting something in memory.

Once I did the battery holder and change over on my board, everything was golden. The Unibios probably just gets around this error, but I would still imagine something is getting corrupted somewhere if you're running without a battery. Best to just do the battery holder mod and get a good removable solution in place so it's easy to change/remove if you're storing the board and can be put in place when you're running to make sure you aren't running into weird game glitches and problems :D

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I have always removed batteries from my mvs boards but never seen this warning before. Even while playing the newer 2000+ carts. Never had a unibios either, jap bios.