Neo Diagnostics ROMs

pnauts

Kuroko's Training Dummy
the data is not stable ?
there is a shift but the datas looks stable.
so the datas are correct to 0100 but not in 0182 ? any idea ?

willys_82

n00b
Hello everybody. I have a problem with my japanese Neo Geo Aes (AES3-6 motherboard). There are a sort of scanlines effect and jailbars present in most graphics except for the text without movement and lifebars. I've checked some possible cut tracks without succes and I'm running out of ideas... I made the test with the universal Bios v3.2 and nothing wrong appear. And I run the Neo Diagnostic and gave me this (the first check was everything OK):

IMG_20180115_033151892-min.jpg

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If you didn't make a diagnostic cart, skip the Z80 testing.

willys_82

n00b
OK, thanks for the quick response! Now that I read the Neo Diagnostic BIOS page again I realized that I never did those tests:

Sub-menu
If ABCD is held down on power on, a submenu appears. Otherwise normal testing goes ahead.

Calendar test (MVS only)
Color bars (currently MVS only)
Controller test
WRAM/BRAM test loop
Palette RAM test loop
VRAM test loop
Misc. input test

I'll do it tomorrow and I'll upload the results.

Kujako

Quiz Detective
A question, which may have already been asked but I'm not finding it. To build a diagnostics game cart, what hardware is needed and from where can it be sourced? Looking to diagnose a YM2610 issue.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
A question, which may have already been asked but I'm not finding it. To build a diagnostics game cart, what hardware is needed and from where can it be sourced? Looking to diagnose a YM2610 issue.

You just need a CHAR PCB with the programmed M1. You will need the S1 to display text so just leave all the chips on, just remove the stock M1 and replace with the programmed one.

Kujako

Quiz Detective
You just need a CHAR PCB with the programmed M1. You will need the S1 to display text so just leave all the chips on, just remove the stock M1 and replace with the programmed one.

So I basically would need to use a game cart? That's what I figured, just not sure I have one I want to scrap for it. Perhaps I'll keep an eye out for a cheap cart on ebay. On the AES side, is there a list of games with the correct sized M1/S1? Some of them look different...

Edit: Found a baseball stars for cheap, which looks like it has the expected M1 chip. Is the m1.bin also just burned to a 27c1024?

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
You don't need to destroy a cart. I'm pretty sure I have a spare CHAR board.The m1.bin is burned on an M27C010... You just need the s1 and the m1 on the pcb.
BB
So I basically would need to use a game cart? That's what I figured, just not sure I have one I want to scrap for it. Perhaps I'll keep an eye out for a cheap cart on ebay. On the AES side, is there a list of games with the correct sized M1/S1? Some of them look different...

Edit: Found a baseball stars for cheap, which looks like it has the expected M1 chip. Is the m1.bin also just burned to a 27c1024?

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Or you can do what I did - get a EPROM twice the size and put both M1 images onto it (original game in lower half, M1 diag in the upper half) and have a jumper to switch the upper address line between high and low.

Kujako

Quiz Detective
Or you can do what I did - get a EPROM twice the size and put both M1 images onto it (original game in lower half, M1 diag in the upper half) and have a jumper to switch the upper address line between high and low.

Intriguing, got any more information? Though I'm most likely just going to desolder the M1 and put in a socket. Problem is I expect I'll need to modify the shell to get it back together after.

Kujako

Quiz Detective
Question I've not found an answer to (though I'm sure that's a fault on my end). If I put the diagnostics bios in an AES, how do I access it's functionality? I assume holding down a key combination of some sort on boot?

Edit: Never mind, I'm an idiot or too tired. Of course it just boots and goes...

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It boots and goes but you will need a game cart inserted so it can write text on the screen.

Kujako

Quiz Detective
It boots and goes but you will need a game cart inserted so it can write text on the screen.

Yup. Think I was just under caffeinated. Somehow I got it into my mind, that it operated as a normal BIOS as well as a diagnostic tool.... at any rate, it says my Bjorked AES is fine, gonna need to build a test cart to see what's up with the Z80. Thinking I MAY try to just make a MVS test cart and use it on the AES via a converter.

Last edited:

Kujako

Quiz Detective
Thought I'd share this here, as it's fairly interesting and pertinent to the diagnostics BIOS. Picked up a bootleg copy of NeoGeo Cup '98 that already has socked EEPROMs (W29EE011) in the M1 & S1 slots. Even has the PCBs cutout so it all fits back together. Kind of high quality for a bootleg...
ju3qX1E.png

Not stuck the Neo Diagnostics cart M1.bin on it yet, that'll have to wait for a week or so (or if I can't sleep tonight).

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I got a very similar socketed bootleg of Neo Geo Cup that I used to test the P rom when I was making my Ironclad repro.

dr.wily

n00b
Hello,

I have burned V 0.19 to diagnose a dead AES who shows green screen even if a game is inserted. But unlucky, Neo Diagnostics BIOS does not show up, I only have a screen with a random color and some "jail bars". When I press ABCD and reset I have a blue block a the top of screen. Image is flickering when a move the joystick but that's all.

How can I diagnose this AES console ? I allready test all color RAM lines and this BIOS does not works. Any idea ? Thanks :)

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Hello,

I have burned V 0.19 to diagnose a dead AES who shows green screen even if a game is inserted. But unlucky, Neo Diagnostics BIOS does not show up, I only have a screen with a random color and some "jail bars". When I press ABCD and reset I have a blue block a the top of screen. Image is flickering when a move the joystick but that's all.

How can I diagnose this AES console ? I allready test all color RAM lines and this BIOS does not works. Any idea ? Thanks :)

Start with the basic system which is CPU-BIOS-RAM. Make sure everything is connected then try again.

dr.wily

n00b
Start with the basic system which is CPU-BIOS-RAM. Make sure everything is connected then try again.

Thanks Xian Xi.

- Tested all RAM lines, no broken traces.
- Tested LO lines between LS244 and LSPC2. No problem
- Tested SP lines between wRAM and CPU. No problem
- Tested lines between SP and NEO-EO. No problem
- Tested lines between SP and LSPC2. No problem

Last edited:

Kujako

Quiz Detective
I got a very similar socketed bootleg of Neo Geo Cup that I used to test the P rom when I was making my Ironclad repro.

Worked perfectly for a Neo Diagnostics cart. And because it was an EEPROM I was able to just backup the Neo Cup M1 and restore it when I was done. Very tempting to try putting something more interesting on the cart now... all in all, a good eBay find. Still one available if anyone's interested.

Kujako

Quiz Detective
OK, so with a Neo Diagnostics cart in hand and the BIOS installed I ran the tests, and it says everything is OK. However around 50% of the time I get the following error from Unibios (don't have the original 1FZ bios).
zlhdr66hbmo11.jpg

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
The bios is failing its self check.

Raz