Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Neo Diagnostics ROMs

Galford's Armourer

The bank error board is a lot closer to working since if it got that far, almost every other part tested OK. If you are completely sure that it's none of the traces on the page or my post, can you probe the NEO-D0 pin with any 1991+ game inserted and see if you get any pulsing? It should pulse frequently when a song is supposed to be playing for example.

The other board is in a worse spot since the Z80 is possibly not running at all. There's more to check for (Z80 clk should pulse, RD/WR/IO signals should be pulsing, SM1/RAM/NEO-D0 traces between Z80 should be checked etc....). I'd like to make a full writeup on everything to test but there's a lot of info on the wiki currently. Pretty much any Z80 connection excluding the cart slot is potentially the cause. What have you tried so far?

Cheng's Errand Boy

Sorry for the late reply.

Regarding the M1 bank error, I'll try getting my board back into work so I can see if that NEO-D0 pin is pulsing.

With the other board with the Z80 error, my boss dug out his old oscilloscope and did some checking on the Z80 RAM and thought dataline 6 looked a bit weird.

Sorry it's not much to go on, he used to repair Amiga's and Atari's back in the day, no Neo Geo's.

Just used this on a 4 slot with a Z80 error, found out it was a bad SM1 and replaced it. Board finally boots up, this bios is really amazing smkdan!

Vice's Love Slave

Quote Originally Posted by Xian Xi View Post
    What causes this?:

http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax.../glynn-aes.mp4

I already verified all connections from the B1 to the LSPC2 and LSPC2 to cart slot. This is AES BTW. All tests were passed.
    Have you checked palette ram or the latches on the DAC?

edit: on second thought, check the p-bus lines connecting b1 to lspc2 to the cart slot.
    Last edited by shadowkn55; 10-25-2014 at 05:09 AM.

JammaNationX

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkn55 View Post
    Have you checked palette ram or the latches on the DAC?

edit: on second thought, check the p-bus lines connecting b1 to lspc2 to the cart slot.
    I'll check the latches but I already checked the B1>Cart Slot>LSPC2 lines.

Vice's Love Slave

I'll check the latches but I already checked the B1>Cart Slot>LSPC2 lines.
    It looks like the sprites are in the right location so it has to do with some concerning the color palettes. The things involved are slow vram, b1, lspc, palette ram, or the dac latches. Judging by the fix layer being correct, I would probably rule out the 74ls273 latches but it wouldn't hurt to check.

JammaNationX

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkn55 View Post
    It looks like the sprites are in the right location so it has to do with some concerning the color palettes. The things involved are slow vram, b1, lspc, palette ram, or the dac latches. Judging by the fix layer being correct, I would probably rule out the 74ls273 latches but it wouldn't hurt to check.
    Latches are fine. Slow VRAM is fine, Palette RAM is fine, LSPC is fine and B1 is fine.

Vice's Love Slave

Latches are fine. Slow VRAM is fine, Palette RAM is fine, LSPC is fine and B1 is fine.
    Have you checked GAD and GBD? These connect from the cartridge slot to B1. I'm running out of ideas if this checks out.

B. Jenet's Firstmate

Hi dudes,

I'm not an expert but I've read that sometimes the 74ls seems to be Ok, all checks have been passed, but actually they are wrong. This issue is common in arcade pcb's.

Un saludo

Thanks! These helped me a lot!

Bashful Neophyte

Got another baby that states:
    Z80 Dead / Errored / Comm. Issue

expected 03
    actual 00

it said before the test that the SM1 was unresponsive

I believe I tested all pins ok. I could not catch any shorted pins.

Dead Z80?

Thanks

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS

Has anyone heard from smkdan recently?

I have been trying to contact him with no success via a couple of methods. Has anyone heard from him since he last visited the forums on 09-21-2014 10:00?

I'm hoping everything is ok with him.

Raz
    THE UNIVERSE BIOS ( MVS / AES, and now also for CD )
    www.universebios.com. Also on facebook, please like http://www.facebook.com/UniverseBios.

Bashful Neophyte

Mmmmm that doesn't sound right... I hope he is ok.

Bashful Neophyte

I have the following message from bios v0.19: "vram 2k unwritable (upper)".
    Anyone can helpme please? the board is an AES3-5
    Thx!

JammaNationX

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
    I have the following message from bios v0.19: "vram 2k unwritable (upper)".
    Anyone can helpme please? the board is an AES3-5
    Thx!
    Check the /WE pin on the lower chip. It's the 5814 pair to the left of the LSPC2. Check to make sure that it has a connection to the LSPC2. If it doesn't then repair it. If it is connected then hopefully swapping the ram will fix it. You don't want a failing LSPC2.

Bashful Neophyte

Thx Xian Xi, but two 5814 are already swapped (brand new ones) and all traces to LSPC2 A2 are OK.... my LSPC2 its dead?

Mv4

I just got a eprom in and programmed it for the test bios. I recieved the error in the pic i uploaded. Does anyone know what this actually means.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Timid Neo Newbie

any ideas how to proceed with a MV1FZ if the diagnostick bios + cha board check out fine (with z80 tests too) but you get random Z80 errors on boot and have missing sfx in always the same parts in games?
    I've only seen one time this error with the diag. bios:

Z80 DEAD / ERRORED / COMM. ISSUE
    EXPECTED: 3C
    ACTUAL: 4C

Z80 REPORTED ERROR CODE: 0C
    Z80<->68k COMM. ERROR (DATA)

but I can't replicate it. I have recaped the MV1FZ board and reflowed the cartridge connectors - no change in behavior.
    Any ideas?

AH
    A
    COLUMBIAN!

Quote Originally Posted by keropi View Post
    any ideas how to proceed with a MV1FZ if the diagnostick bios + cha board check out fine (with z80 tests too) but you get random Z80 errors on boot and have missing sfx in always the same parts in games?
    I've only seen one time this error with the diag. bios:

Z80 DEAD / ERRORED / COMM. ISSUE
    EXPECTED: 3C
    ACTUAL: 4C

Z80 REPORTED ERROR CODE: 0C
    Z80<->68k COMM. ERROR (DATA)

but I can't replicate it. I have recaped the MV1FZ board and reflowed the cartridge connectors - no change in behavior.
    Any ideas?
    If the Z80 threw error once, it may be failing. Replace it.

Timid Neo Newbie

^ I'll try that too, need to order one first... what do you think about z80 ram? Should I replace it as well just in case?

Timid Neo Newbie

^ I cannot replicate the error with the diagnostics bios / cha board anymore : everything checks out OK. I remember that each time I do the Z80 test I hear some beeps, is that what you are asking about?

What I get is a Z80 error almost every time I cold boot the MVS with a game - and only the first time after a night powered off for example. If I do a power-cycle after the Z80 error the game boots fine.
    I am testing with Metal Slug (original cart and verified working fine on my 2nd MVS board) and sfx go completely off each time I get to the part after the first helicopter in stage 1. Music keeps playing fine in the background but sfx are dead. Maybe I hear some when I pick a weapon, maybe not. They return completely 2-3 screens before the boss fight.
    It's a strange error, maybe it happens when Z80 gets used more?
    I just found out that gamegears have the same smd Z80 cpu, I'll transplant one tomorrow from a gg with a dead screen and report back if the Z80 was to blame.

edit:
    bad luck, the gamegears I have all are the newer revision where the Z80 got integrated into a custom sega ic... so no quick test atm...
    Last edited by keropi; 01-29-2016 at 02:49 AM.

Thanks for much for making this Diag BIOS for the Neo Geo boards. It's saved me a few times already.

I have one AES board that passes all tests, but when holding D to test the Z80 it fails with:

Z80 Dead / Errored / Comm issue
    Expected 03
    Actual 00

NeoGeoAESZ80Error.jpg

Thread Information