Neo Diagnostics ROMs

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
Update bump: 019 just got posted. The inputs for controlling what is/isn't tested were changed to be more intuitive and less surprising. Also, in response to this I've added a timed watchdog delay indicator to make it obvious that a system is stuck in watchdog. It's just a text message that either disappears quickly if the system is OK, or appears stuck on screen if it isn't. Hopefully these changes make it more usable. Details are in the changelog.txt file and also on the main page.

There's also a new section in the sub-menu for seeing real time updates on a few memcard and system config inputs. I think this was originally done for testing a memory card project for NTM but can also help fixing a system that thinks cards aren't inserted or has issues with write protection.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Update bump: 019 just got posted. The inputs for controlling what is/isn't tested were changed to be more intuitive and less surprising. Also, in response to this I've added a timed watchdog delay indicator to make it obvious that a system is stuck in watchdog. It's just a text message that either disappears quickly if the system is OK, or appears stuck on screen if it isn't. Hopefully these changes make it more usable. Details are in the changelog.txt file and also on the main page.

There's also a new section in the sub-menu for seeing real time updates on a few memcard and system config inputs. I think this was originally done for testing a memory card project for NTM but can also help fixing a system that thinks cards aren't inserted or has issues with write protection.

Nice work. So now for an MV1C I don't need to hold anything on boot? Before I had to hold B and D.

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
Nice work. So now for an MV1C I don't need to hold anything on boot? Before I had to hold B and D.

You don't need B button for AES anymore, but MV1B/1C still need it since I can't tell the different 1 slots apart. If you don't do want the sound test then you don't need to hold any buttons though.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Bump it up.

I have an error, I'll post it later. Trying to see if I can fix it first.

bochi

Cheng's Errand Boy
any body has one for sale? i don't have an eeprom burner.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
OK so here it goes.

Z80 Comm Error

Ex: 3C
Ac: 50
Z80 Reporting Error 10
YM2610 I/O Error

Also, SDD0-SDD7 and D0-D7 have 100% continuity.

Last edited:

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
Ex: 3C
Ac: 50
Z80 Reporting Error 10
YM2610 I/O Error

There's a few others to check on top of data for the I/O error:

-Z80 D0~D7 -> YM D0~D7
-Z80 A0/A1 -> YM A0/A1
-NEO-D0 2610WR,2610RD,2610CS -> YM WR,RD,CS
-Z80 A2~A4 -> NEO-D0 SDA2~SDA4

Pretty sure it'll be done of these assuming that system has a NEO-D0.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
There's a few others to check on top of data for the I/O error:

-Z80 D0~D7 -> YM D0~D7
-Z80 A0/A1 -> YM A0/A1
-NEO-D0 2610WR,2610RD,2610CS -> YM WR,RD,CS
-Z80 A2~A4 -> NEO-D0 SDA2~SDA4

Pretty sure it'll be done of these assuming that system has a NEO-D0.

WR and RD from the NEO-D0 to the YM2610 weren't connected but even after patching the traces the error still exists.

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
WR and RD from the NEO-D0 to the YM2610 weren't connected but even after patching the traces the error still exists.

Only other traces involved with 2610 I/O are (on NEO-D0 to Z80) IORQ,SDRD,SDWR but they would stop the Z80 from getting this far to begin with so I didn't list them. If everything on that list checks out then are you sure the 2610 itself is powered and live? Not much else to suggest apart from stuff you've probably already gone through.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Only other traces involved with 2610 I/O are (on NEO-D0 to Z80) IORQ,SDRD,SDWR but they would stop the Z80 from getting this far to begin with so I didn't list them. If everything on that list checks out then are you sure the 2610 itself is powered and live? Not much else to suggest apart from stuff you've probably already gone through.

I'll probe it in the morning.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I noticed that on an MV1, MV1T and MV1F that when it hits the WRAM Address test part or the part right after it will make the screen one solid color. This is without the Z80 test not using the additional CHAR board. If I run a separate WRAM Test in the menu, it passes it perfectly fine.

As for the YM2610, I have no idea what is wrong with it. I probed it and it is live. I noticed it gets really hot so I swapped in another YM2610 and it's the same error. All the connections that were listed are fine.

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi XX,

It could be an issue related to a resistor or a capacitor in the Yamaha circuit.

Saludos

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Hi XX,

It could be an issue related to a resistor or a capacitor in the Yamaha circuit.

Saludos

Do you by chance know which one?

I can rule out the Z80 and YM2610 as they work fine so it has to be something in the circuit.

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi XX,

I can rule out the Z80 and YM2610 as they work fine so it has to be something in the circuit.

I'm sorry but unfortunately I don't, as you know it is relatively easy, but quite hard, to measure all of them with a multimeter.

Saludos

Last edited:

smkdan

Galford's Armourer

Super late bump but did you figure this one out? Completely forgot about it. I would've tried checking NEO-D0 outputs to 2610 and seeing if they are live. Or was it something unrelated?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Super late bump but did you figure this one out? Completely forgot about it. I would've tried checking NEO-D0 outputs to 2610 and seeing if they are live. Or was it something unrelated?

Still stuck on this one. I need to probe them. How can I test them properly, do I need to probe while the test is running?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I have an MV1 that when it starts the test and gets to the WRAM/BRAM test it kicks a reset over and over at that part. I already checked all the connections for a watchdog and it ins't that.

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
I have an MV1 that when it starts the test and gets to the WRAM/BRAM test it kicks a reset over and over at that part. I already checked all the connections for a watchdog and it ins't that.

I'd probably have a few suggestions if the first gen chipset was documented as well as the second gen. I don't have the boards or time to probe it myself. Hopefully someone eventually shares what they've figured out or leaks an early schematic or something.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Sounds like a C1 issue now. Pins 6,7,92, and 93 are the ones of interest for work ram.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Have you checked continuity on the lines between the 68k and c1?