Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Neo Diagnostics ROMs

Edo Express Delivery Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Xian Xi View Post
    Is there any work around to get it to work on AES like pull it from the cart inserted, kinda like how the Unibios does?
    I'm still a bit light on neo geo graphics but reading over the dev wiki and looking at open bios I think its likely unibios/openbios are using some trickery to get the bars on aes. They can use a single solid color tile (0x00) to render the bars by using the hblank/timer interrupt to change palettes colors multiple times mid frame. I'm not sure at this point if there was a specific reason smkdan didn't go that route.

There should be a somewhat simple workaround though. I assume you are using a diag cart, it should be possible to burn the sfix rom as the carts s1 rom, then I can give you a bios version that enables the bars test on aes. I dont have a working aes to test with, but this works in mame.

Edo Express Delivery Guy

Here is the disassembled code.

https://github.com/jwestfall69/neogeo-diag-bios

Edo Express Delivery Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Xian Xi View Post
    Is there any work around to get it to work on AES like pull it from the cart inserted, kinda like how the Unibios does?
    Can you give this a try

https://www.mvs-scans.com/misc/sp1-19a00-aes-bars.bin

I reimplemented the colors bars to mimic what unibios does. Its working as expected on mvs hardware and seems ok running it in aes mode in mame.

Edo Express Delivery Guy

Quote Originally Posted by ack View Post
    Can you give this a try

https://www.mvs-scans.com/misc/sp1-19a00-aes-bars.bin

I reimplemented the colors bars to mimic what unibios does. Its working as expected on mvs hardware and seems ok running it in aes mode in mame.
    I fixed up a broken aes I had and was able to confirm the color bars are working with that version.

New Challenger

I have a couple of boards that I've been working on that play games fine, but have no game audio. They both have sound in hardware test without game, but not with game inserted.

The 2 slot I had in my dedicated cab, was working fine, turned it on one day, no audio. No battery leakage but still removed battery, cleaned all slots, replaced/socketed Z80A, YM2610, YM3016. Neo diagnostics audio test gives this error.
    2-slot.png

The 4 slot, removed battery, cleaned slots, socketed Z80A. Neo diagnostics audio test gives this error, which is jumbled. 4-slot.png

I'm stuck here.

Edo Express Delivery Guy

I assume you are using the diag m1 cart and have verified its working as expected on a know working board?

On the 4 slot pic. Are graphics messed up in the diag bios if you don't do the Z80 tests?

New Challenger

I verified cart on working board. The jumbled letters are only with the audio part of the diagnostics. The hardware part is normal.

Edo Express Delivery Guy

The graphics issue to me looks like fix data might have stuck data bits. If its happening on all slots it might be an issue with the connection between the boards or one of the chips that handles switching between the slots on the slot board.

On your 2 slot board, the actual being 01, I think would be an indication the diag m1 is not running right. 01 would have been the last thing the sm1 rom sent to the 68k to indicate it was ready for the switch to the diag m1. So perhaps you have an issue with the data/address path to the m1 on the cart that causing it to crash/not function.

I would also suggest clearing your backup ram as it can sometime fix audio not working.

New Challenger

On the 4 slot I used an older diag. and no jumbled graphics and was able to see this error.
    4sloterror.png.
    This is my cart.
    Diagcart.pngdiagcartback.png.
    Tried it in 2 of the 4 slots, same error. Out of curiosity I removed the M1 eprom and still got the same error. Has my M1 been bad all this time? I've cleared the backup ram countless times hoping it would suddenly work. No such luck.
    Last edited by Mehunglo; 05-22-2020 at 10:55 PM.

Edo Express Delivery Guy

Its possible its bad or there is a connectivity issue between the z80 and m1 diag.

Thread Information