Bead Sprites I've made

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Here's one I made last night, ironing is still a crapshoot. I need to find the sweet spot on the heat setting. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424623059.625080.jpg

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
it's my avatar

ps thanks mugi

no probs bud, you earned it!

Just some simples one's I've made.

Did you make it into a necklace? I've never done that for any of mine, but I've often wanted to do power-ups from other games like castlevania (ie Holy Water, Axe etc.)

Here's one I made last night, ironing is still a crapshoot. I need to find the sweet spot on the heat setting.

looks good West! it looks like it all stuck together and it doesn't looked curved so I'd definitely say job well done! and also +1 for Bionic Commando since I'm a big fan of the original :D

Last edited:

Westcb

no probs bud, you earned it!

Did you make it into a necklace? I've never done that for any of mine, but I've often wanted to do power-ups from other games like castlevania (ie Holy Water, Axe etc.)

looks good West! it looks like it all stuck together and it doesn't looked curved so I'd definitely say job well done! and also +1 for Bionic Commando since I'm a big fan of the original :D

Yeah bionic commando is so awesome. I got the arcade one as well but I think the nes one is way better. Did a couple more simple ones for practice today. I may try something a little more difficult later. But I don't think I have as many colors as I need. After seeing those epic ones LWK did I'm really wanting to try something big though.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424658371.045499.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1424658380.445066.jpg

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Yeah bionic commando is so awesome. I got the arcade one as well but I think the nes one is way better. Did a couple more simple ones for practice today. I may try something a little more difficult later. But I don't think I have as many colors as I need. After seeing those epic ones LWK did I'm really wanting to try something big though.

looks to me like you got the hang of ironing ;) If you wanna go big but not use a lot of colors, I suggest starting with the NGPC sprites, they usually only have 3-4 colors, they are fairly simple and are about 2 boards tall, but I think I use a 4 board square when making them in case they are posing outwardly iirc.

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Nice NES sprites Westcb!

I just put in an order for a 22k count perler bead pack, and four peg boards. Can't wait to start making some sprites!. :D

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
I don't think I posted this one here, it's a commission I made for a friend. I realize it's not very impressive from a technical standpoint, but this sprite has the honor of being the first one I "free-handed" without copying from another sprite, so I felt really good about it when it was done. It's based on Paul Robertson's Taito style sprites: http://paulrobertson.mechafetus.com/sprites300_all_a.png

fo43hEF.jpg

Westcb

I don't think I posted this one here, it's a commission I made for a friend. I realize it's not very impressive from a technical standpoint, but this sprite has the honor of being the first one I "free-handed" without copying from another sprite, so I felt really good about it when it was done. It's based on Paul Robertson's Taito style sprites: http://paulrobertson.mechafetus.com/sprites300_all_a.png

fo43hEF.jpg

Nice, I did a couple more too with the kids. These are not free hand, I just found patterns on Google images.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426300976.554002.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1426300994.619400.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1426301012.987498.jpg

ThGame

Geese's Thug
this is actually pretty cool! I like the way it gives the characters a true to sight retro pixle look!

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Nice, I did a couple more too with the kids. These are not free hand, I just found patterns on Google images.

some great choices there man! and it's awesome you got the kids involved with it :) When I first started doing them, I was actually copying other bead sprites i found online. Then I figured out how to magnify in-game shots and sprite rips and that's how I do it now, but i hope to do more in the free-hand style in the future.

This is my Boomstick!

Nice work!

hehe thx buddy.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I need to make some new sprites. I covered my game room with them.

Westcb

I need to make some new sprites. I covered my game room with them.

Yeah I been trying to figure out what to do with them :-) I saw where people put magnets on them, I'm guessing you put some on your walls, if so how did you attach them? Just a small nail, or would something like a poster putty do ok?

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I just use thumbtacks on the edges. It works, and the holes they make are so small.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Great stuff in this thread, respect. Makes me want to try this as well.

Are these cool for 'street art'? I don't know how weather resistant they are and how much work/cost a single piece is, but one thing to do with them could be to glue them to a wall somewhere in a good public spot... I like stuff like that. Maybe I schould just do it.

//EDIT: So yeah, googled it... I'm living on the moon apparently.

Last edited:

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Are these cool for 'street art'? I don't know how weather resistant they are and how much work/cost a single piece is, but one thing to do with them could be to glue them to a wall somewhere in a good public spot... I like stuff like that. Maybe I schould just do it.

I know there's a French guy who does pixel art in public places using small tiles, so you're not super far off I guess.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
as I said, a google image search showed like a gazillion people doing it... meh.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Great stuff in this thread, respect. Makes me want to try this as well.

//EDIT: So yeah, googled it... I'm living on the moon apparently.

It's not a bad idea, but the sprites are semi-fragile even after ironing, some parts might even break of if dropped, and on top of that, It takes time to make and then iron. I'm not the fastest at it, and it takes me about 30-45 start to finish to do an NES sprite, and about 90 min to do an NGPC sprite, so not exactly the type of thing I'd like to go posting around after spending a bunch of time making them :lolz:

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
lol.

congratz to both of you guys for winning, and srsly thanks for hanging onto em! means alot to me :)