Bead Sprites I've made

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
1gsv9f.jpg

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
L DUB K! badass as usual. You are really making me want to replenish my bead stock, that and time are the main reasons I haven't done any lately. I like that you made the Iori too, I want to make an NGPC style Kyo sprite, since I like him better. excellent work my man.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
FUCKING SWEET!!!

Hey dude, I don't know if you are up to it, but could you do a full on Blaster Master screen shot in beads with the tank and background?

Al2k

n00b
Nice thread!

Some of the bead sprites you show are impressive, I like that big dragon and the lava dinosaur of SMW. :)

I would like to do an eightman sprite but I don´t know how to start planning it, do you do some kind of sketch before starting the sprite to see how many boards are needed??

What size of beads do you guys recommend to initiate in this hobby?

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
Whoa, how did I miss this thread? Excellent work, LWK!

I need to get into bead art. I bought a Gemini Man bead fridge magnet at a con and I really want to start making my own.

Al2k

n00b
Thanks for that link Chempop! :)

People do amazing things with beads, I always saw Mario Bros sprites and such but not the complex pieces of art showed in this thread.

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Wow that Morrigan from DS must be like 3 feet tall. I've done a couple of these but ran out of certain colors really quick using just the mixed case of beads. Do you order certain colors individually for certain projects?

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
nothing amazing, but I made this for the prize of the September Beat-em-up of the Month.

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
I've seen some of this before but always small. The stuff in this thread is the goods..

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
Very impressive , those beads are being put to good use.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
sorry to piggyback on your thread LWK, but I think it's the most recent in terms of Necro-bumping :D

I tried to make Bond's ship from Ibara, since I love the style of the game but can't afford the PCB or PS2 version, It only came out ok imo, I had to compromise on alot of colors and I'm pretty sure they don't even make some of the colors that are in that sprite. At least it ironed well.

3uQ9sTy.jpg

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
sorry to piggyback on your thread LWK, but I think it's the most recent in terms of Necro-bumping :D

I tried to make Bond's ship from Ibara, since I love the style of the game but can't afford the PCB or PS2 version, It only came out ok imo, I had to compromise on alot of colors and I'm pretty sure they don't even make some of the colors that are in that sprite. At least it ironed well.

3uQ9sTy.jpg

nice, I just made my first one last night, ironing is still a mystery to me as to how much to melt, I melted the crap out of a megaman last night till it was a mess. Do you iron both sides or just one or what?

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
I love it Mugi!

thx buddy!

nice, I just made my first one last night, ironing is still a mystery to me as to how much to melt, I melted the crap out of a megaman last night till it was a mess. Do you iron both sides or just one or what?

sorry to hear about your Megaman. ironing is very tricky and takes a lot of practice/patience. I personally iron both sides because I noticed that the initial side always curves inward from the heat and doing the opposite side helps to even it out a bit. I also put em between heavy books while cooling to help prevent too much curving.

Some things that have worked well for me,

1) Finding the right temp on the iron is probly the most important, not sure but I think I set mine at about half heat.

2) I try to get all the beads to stick to the paper before removing it, and when I do remove it, I go EXTREMELY slowly so I can re-iron any areas that aren't connected. I've messed up and thrown away alot sprites during this phase.

3) not sure if everyone does it, but I like Pressure while ironing, I press down very hard on the beads, so far this has worked well for me, but might not be for everyone.

I'd also recommend doing some very easy nintendo and 8 bit sprites to practice ironing so it won't too big a deal if it doesn't turn out, and it never hurts to have a bunch of those around anyway ;)

good luck man, post up when you make some more, I wanna keep going to if time permits, hopefully I can do some the size of LWK's someday.

Last edited:

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Pretty cool perler bead sprite art Mugi, I like it! :)

I've been meaning to get into doing perler bead art, since I love doing sprite art anyway. Might have to check out some kind of starter kit on Amazon or something.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I remember in one of the SOTM held, a bead sprite was given out as a prize for the top scorer.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Pretty cool perler bead sprite art Mugi, I like it! :)

I've been meaning to get into doing perler bead art, since I love doing sprite art anyway. Might have to check out some kind of starter kit on Amazon or something.

thx man! it can be time consuming but, if I have the time I really enjoy doing em. Your local craft store(like Michaels or AC Moore) should have the boards, ironing paper, and some basic colors like black, white, red etc. You'll have to special order to get the more specific colors like sand (flesh tone). I try to figure out which colors I'll be using before making an order. It's a very easy hobby to jump into, and pretty inexpensive too!

I remember in one of the SOTM held, a bead sprite was given out as a prize for the top scorer.

yep, that was the month I hosted :) I made the R-type ship for the Progear winner, and the Soldier Blade ship for the winner of that game.