SNES 1CC thread aka hop on that bandwagon thread.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I recently cleared Magic Sword.

I still have a poor understanding of most of the items' significance, but that didn't prove to be much of a problem.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I've only had minimal experience with AC Magic Sword. I'm going to assume the port is significantly easier.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I've only had minimal experience with AC Magic Sword. I'm going to assume the port is significantly easier.

I remember them being comparable. Just a lot more enjoyable in two player mode on the arcade version Vs the snes version. Kind of like final fight in that regards. I still play my board from time to time because of all the fond memories of playing this one in Alladins castle. I actually rediscovered I have a second pcb of this game, anyone wanna trade cps1 games? :-)

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
The Snes port is a little easier, but not by much. There are some bosses on the PCB that I feel do have some pretty cheap attacks, esepcially on the higher floors. Still, the Snes version is pretty damn solid.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Never played Spanky's. Did you do a vid?

This thread is always a good read.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Never played Spanky's. Did you do a vid?

This thread is always a good read.

You know, I've never played it myself until very recently. I didn't make a video.

I'm not sure why this game is relatively unknown. It was released early in the console's lifespan. Usually early era titles aren't destined for obscurity. Enough copies of it must have sold though. It's certainly not a rare game.

Anyways, the game is more or less arcade style single screen "comical action" with a console style adventure pace.

There's definitely an arcade-like sense of urgency here but the consoley "find all of the secrets" feel is very much present.

Your objective is to find enough keys (carried by enemies, or placed alone) to unlock the exit in each stage. You'll more often than not, find yourself with keys to spare in most stages, but that's usually a product of clearing stages via secret bonus stage rooms which don't require keys at all. There are 50 stages in all, plus the stage 6 boss rush, with a true final boss.

1-ups are plentiful even if you're not trying to score (score based extends are granted after very 100,000pts). You can earn 1up coins after defeating bosses, and winning bonus rounds, and you can find them inside some star/spring boxes when throwing bubbles in them. You'll find B coins throughout the game too, sometimes carried by enemies, sometimes sitting sedentary in stages. You'll also receive them when winning bonus rounds, defeating bosses, and inside star/spring boxes. At the 10th B coin, they are worth 1,000 points. After dying, the B coin's value resets to 100 points.

Your method of attacking is where a lot of the fun in the game lies, IMO. This is also how you'd score big too (that and no-missing the game). Scoring via attacks isn't super crucial, but chances are if you're getting a big score bonus on an attack, you'll end up surviving well enough to clear the stage. You're attack is very physics oriented. You will throw a bubble in the air with A. If you bounce the bubble once on your head it will turn purple, then hitting A will pop it and turn it into a baseball. Bouncing twice for a green bubble creates a soccer ball, three times yellow for a volley ball, four times + orange for basketballs. Killing multiple enemies in one shot creates a chain, where you can earn up to 10,000points (I think). Although it's long, the game isn't very difficult. Area 5 can get tricky, but the game doesn't force you to know exactly what you have to do here. There's plenty of cushioning with all of the extra lives, plus there aren't any check points (instant respawn). Blah Blah, the game's definitely worth trying.

Last edited:

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Definitely sounds worth a try and a watching a quick yt vid confirms that. I can only assume the title wasn't helpful in making it more mainstream. A lot of games have that problem I suppose, but more prevalent in 3rd / 4th gens.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It only took me forever, but I 1cc'd Final Fight. I'll never be able to do that in the Arcade game, so I'll take this small victory.

I'm working on Final Fight 2 on expert now. I miss Cody, Carlos is weak as shit.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
It only took me forever, but I 1cc'd Final Fight. I'll never be able to do that in the Arcade game, so I'll take this small victory.

I'm working on Final Fight 2 on expert now. I miss Cody, Carlos is weak as shit.

Nice.

As for FF2 on expert, are you using Carlos?

FF2 is an ok console brawler, Carlos is ok...just ok.

I agree X2

Though, I don't know if Capcom could have made a sword attack looker any uncooler.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I tried Carlos, and although I can do well with him it takes a million hits to kill even basic enemies. I'm mainly using Haggar, much better damage but he takes beatings sometimes due to speed.

I'd prefer Maki but that weak punch range is suicide on Expert.

"OK" is the perfect description for this game. It's technically superior to FF1 in a lot of ways, but not in the important ways, unfortunately.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Are you using punch infinites with either Carlos or Maki?

Abusing Haggar's dropkick is incredibly safe if I remember correctly.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Yeah, destroy the game, punish its flaws or rape its assets?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Well, I cleared legend of the mystical ninja in one sitting.

Last edited: