SNES 1CC thread aka hop on that bandwagon thread.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
After years of quasi-erroneously deeming it unplayable trash, I have cleared Musya : The Classic Japanese Tale of Horror.

It was actually a 1 life clear, and I only started revisiting it yesterday.

Back in the day, I would see this game in blockbuster when I was a young lad with a positive mental attitude. I never did rent it though. So fast forward about 15 years later, and I decided that I should give the game that got away a try. I bought a loose cart (on this very forum) maybe 6 years ago. And well, I spent a little time with it, and stopped because I thought it was a mess. I was right. It's still a mess. However, there was light at the end of the tunnel. A golden light... not unlike the color of Imoto-san's armor by the time you reach stage 4 (which I never reached before until yesterday)!!

The game is indeed rough around the edges physics and collision-wise. You're gonna have to accept the fact that you'll be taking a lot of damage too. Having a handle on the timing (and it's limited safety) of the downstab and A spin is important though, and will at least get you to the stage 2 boss without knowing much else. Knowing where the health ups are is important too....and the game is relatively generous with them!

Speaking of generous, the game is also generous with the number of scrolls provided for your spells (X). I used to think spell use was crucial and not knowing what spell to use and when to use it and when i'd get it back intimidated me from spending more time with the game. Using the homing spell is key in several parts of the game (as well as the healing spell) but they really give you more spell scrolls than you need.

I did spent a little time watching a video to figure out where to go in stage 3's cliff area (and well stage 6 too). Once, I got that down, well I made it to stage 4. In stage 4 you have gold armor and your attacks actually become somewhat effective! Like you're not going to take damage after stabbing a small enemy 3 times + killing it. I really think the developers should have started the game off with the stage 4 incarnation of your character. This may have made the game too easy...but I don't think it would have given as many people the notion of the game being too hard as a whole (it's not).

So stage 4,5 and 6 are like a pseudo loop where stages 1,2, and 3 are repeated but with different enemy placement + different bosses. The bosses aren't as tough as the earlier ones. The last stage isn't that hard So blah blah blah nkjwbd wdjn dw an s
Musya is an intense hot mess, yet soft and gentle. The message of this story is : don't be scared of video games.

To sum things up concisely : I stole a chunk of my technique from a 5 year old speedrun video (thanks Murphagator). I guess the real message of the story is : watch good videos if you don't know what you're doing.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Time is precious!

It sure is.

Speaking of time, I didn't spend much of it with the SNES this year. I tried to make up for that
this month though. Updated list.

Final Fight
Final Fight 2
Final Fight 3
Final Fight Guy
Return of Double Dragon
Ghost Chaser Densei
Ninja Warriors
Cosmo Police Galivan II : Arrow of Justice (1 LC)
Turtles in Time
Hagane (2-ALL)
Power Rangers: The Movie
Mega Man X
Biometal
Sonic Blast man II
Gourmet Sentai Bara Yarou
Marvel Super Heroes : War of The Gems (1 LC)
Sengoku Densyo
Edono Kiba
UN Squadron
Super Castlevania IV (1-ALL)
Contra III : The Alien Wars (1-ALL)
Run Saber
Captain Commando
Ultimate Fighter
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (Ninja Gaiden II)
Marchen Adventure Cotton 100%
Axelay (1-ALL)
Castlevania : Dracula X
HyperZone (3-ALL)
Rushing Beat Ran
Skyblazer
Super Ninja Kun
Ganbare Daiku No Gen-San
Pocky & Rocky 2
Darius Twin
Kendo Rage
The Peace Keepers
GS Mikami : Joreishi wa Nice Body
Space Megaforce
Super Adventure Island
Battle Zeque Den
Kishin Douji Zenki Rettou Raiden (2-ALL)
Mega Man X2
Thunder Spirits
Acrobat Mission
Sparkster
Super Bonk
Magic Sword
Wild Guns
Spanky's Quest
Legend of The Mystical Ninja
X-Men Mutant Apocalypse
Mega Man X3
Aero Fighters
Assault Suits Valken
Phalanx
Knights of the Round
Psycho Dream
The King of Dragons
Mega Man 7
Musya (1 LC)
Earth Defense Force

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I cleared Xardion this morning on one life.

This week was the first time I played it in 10 years. I used to own the cart but didn't spend time with it and sold it...probably 9 years ago.

I bought another cart last week and the game definitely has some charm, despite it's rough edges.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I cleared the first loop of Pop n' Twinbee today.

This was the first time I've been able to get the hang of a Twinbee title.

Nice work ASID I need to get busy again.

Thanks. Well, have you gotten busy?

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
I could 1-cc contra 3 on hard without cheesing, but that's about it :)

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Finally got the 1LC on Ninja Warriors today I used (blue) ninja.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Thanks OC.

Playing Magic Sword all evening, man this game is kicking my ass hard. Health seems impossible to find replenish not sure what I'm missing. Any you guys that have done a 1CC on this game care to give me some advice? Oh and which follow around character is the best to stay with?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Thanks OC.

Playing Magic Sword all evening, man this game is kicking my ass hard. Health seems impossible to find replenish not sure what I'm missing. Any you guys that have done a 1CC on this game care to give me some advice? Oh and which follow around character is the best to stay with?

I used the ninja on my run, the wizard isnt too bad either.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I used the ninja on my run, the wizard isnt too bad either.

I made it to stage 23 before dying so I'm getting better at least. I got the knight up to level 6 he's a BOSS just tears through enemies.

GhostSeed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
10 Year Member
The Knight and the Lizardman are my go tos. Are you warping or playing through all 50 levels?

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
The Knight and the Lizardman are my go tos. Are you warping or playing through all 50 levels?

Yeah I'm staying with the Knight from now on he just destroys shit very quick. Do you mean warping at the start where you can select stages? I'm just playing at the start stage 1 if a secret warp door I happen to find pops up I'll do that.

GhostSeed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
10 Year Member
Yeah I'm staying with the Knight from now on he just destroys shit very quick. Do you mean warping at the start where you can select stages? I'm just playing at the start stage 1 if a secret warp door I happen to find pops up I'll do that.

I forgot that you could warp in the beginning. lol I played it you currently are. There are a lot of inter stage warp points which make it easier. I don't remember if I've ever managed to 1cc all 50 stages in a row though.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Got the 1CC on Magic Sword today, I switched up & used the lizard guy. I went through all 50 levels no warps, the last 10 stages are a real PITA. Damn traps, dark wizards and those fucking skulls that come off the right side of the screen uggh.

I enjoyed the game so much I'm probably going to track down the PCB of it.

List updated:

Sengoku Densho SFC
Majyuuou SFC (1LC)
Super Castlevania 4
Dracula X (1LC)
Super Turrican
Super G & G (1LC)
U.N. Squadron
King of Dragons
Pirates of Dark Water
Robocop vs Terminator
Ninja Warriors 1LC (Blue)
Magic Sword (all 50 stages)

Last edited:

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I changed my mind on who is the best character to use. I tried the thief yesterday, oh man he is by far my favorite. You are automatically going to have more health because of his ability to detect hidden chests and detect hazardous ones. Plus once you get him to level 8 his 3 bombs he throws are very powerful. I did warp past a few of the last awful stages. I found the hidden door on level 39 and it warps you to 42. Level 40 & 41are full of those aannoying ass bats that will swarm your ass in seconds. Anyway time i reached stage 49 boss i had 9 health bars all credited to the theif.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I haven't played much SNES lately, though I did figure out some cool stuff
in Sonic Blastman II with Captain Choyear (I ended up clearing the game with him several times. I've only been
able to do this with Sonic Blastman himself, previously.)

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Excellent, asid. Congrats!

I like the Valis series a lot. SVIV has a similar advantage to VIV, as Dracula XX has to X: its linearity makes for a better/shorter arcade clear. My favorite Valis is the Genesis remake of the first part, it's a very easy 1 credit clear, though. III on Genesis has a tough last stage and a very tough last boss, but is arguably weaker.

The PCE parts are all good, but feel stretched. I guess they wanted to fully utilize the brand new CD format and the backup. The Bell stage in III makes still for a great challenge.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Excellent, asid. Congrats!

I like the Valis series a lot. SVIV has a similar advantage to VIV, as Dracula XX has to X: its linearity makes for a better/shorter arcade clear. My favorite Valis is the Genesis remake of the first part, it's a very easy 1 credit clear, though. III on Genesis has a tough last stage and a very tough last boss, but is arguably weaker.

The PCE parts are all good, but feel stretched. I guess they wanted to fully utilize the brand new CD format and the backup. The Bell stage in III makes still for a great challenge.

Thanks.

I'll take your word on the Dracula XX to Dracula X parallel you drew. Although I know those two well, I've never played PCE Valis IV.

The only other Valis titles I own are Valis 1 on MD (Yes, it is fun!) and PCE Valis III (haha the bell stage is my wall).

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I finally got a capture card so I can do rgb autism level captures. Lots of wasted time learning how to capture since no one has a good guide on it. Definitely not plug and play. Then you go down the rabbit hole of how to upscale that original 240p capture and the time goblin has taken dozens of hours off your life.

In any case was watching a video and heard that someone made a MSU-1 audio hack of Final Fight SNES. Figured I might as well capture a run since I've 1CC it with Guy/Haggar on the SNES and didn't see one on the tubez. Just messing around with this capture card before I start recording actual arcade games (like actual arcade Final Fight). My next console runs will be Ninja Gaiden 2 most likely then Ninja Gaiden 1.

In any case 4k Final Fight MSU-1 audio hack. I like some of the tracks here, others fall flat imo. Hope you enjoy and that the quality is good.

Last edited: