NES 1CC THREAD OF POWAH!

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Just watched a video, that's hardcore asid. Congrats! Did you play the US or the JPN version? Curious if you got the badass 'Old Glory' ending.

US. I'm curious about the JPN differences if any exist.

I don't think it was very hardcore because I took the easy way out. There is a glitch you can perform near the beginning of the first stage that allows you to transform instantly into the super werewolf. You'll stay in this form as long as you can avoid every "anger" power up in the game (and avoid taking enough damage which brings you back to human form). This is a challenge in itself, mainly due to stage 4's off screen power up that materializes maybe 50% of the time.

Also, being the super werewolf gives you an insane jump which can be unwieldy at times. Many sections of the game were not designed for an enabled super werewolf.

That being said, using the super glitch presents a huge advantage overall. The high jumps will allow you to avoid a lot of trouble, and your attack is incredibly powerful. Maybe one day I'll try to clear the game sans glitch.

Last edited:

fantat

NEST Puppet
20 Year Member
Took a long break, but got back into the NES lately. Finished up Batman. Man, my hands have not hurt this bad in a long time. Also finished the 1cc on Isolated Warrior. I always enjoy the way KID designed games on the NES. Dynowarz is done as well. I did not care for this game. One of my least favorite "new" experiences on the NES in quite awhile. It's like a poor man's Blaster Master. Well, maybe a really poor man's.

Up next, maybe Duck Tales 2 or Wacky Races.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I always enjoy the way KID designed games on the NES.

Same.

Have you ever spent time with Kickmaster?

I think it's my favorite KID nes title next to GI Joe Atlantis Factor (I should really play more of the first one).

I used to own Isolated Warrior (congrats on the clear) and Low G Man, but never spent enough time with either.

fantat

NEST Puppet
20 Year Member
Same.

Have you ever spent time with Kickmaster?

I think it's my favorite KID nes title next to GI Joe Atlantis Factor (I should really play more of the first one).

I used to own Isolated Warrior (congrats on the clear) and Low G Man, but never spent enough time with either.

Yes, I have heard of Kickmaster. Never played it though. It's been on my list. Low G Man is a favorite of mine. I got it for my birthday as a kid and put many an hour into it. I've never played Atlantis Factor either. I enjoyed the first GI Joe so I will put this one on the list as well. One of my other KID favorites is Burai Fighter. I'd recommend checking that one out if you haven't.

Also, got the 1cc on Darkman over the weekend. This games absolutely sucked. One of the worst I've ever played. If it wasn't for the source material and the fact I bought this garbage as a kid I wouldn't have even bothered.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Got the 1cc on Castlevania 3, just about one year ago. I've done it many times since, as well. I took the Alucard route. It took me about 6 months of fairly regular practice (next to no time for games these days, roughly two or three runs per week). The feeling when I finally got it was incredible though.

Any other Castlevania 3 players?

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Been getting back into playing my NES, so I figured I'd start doing some 1CC attempts. Here's my current list.

-Alien Syndrome
-Commando
-Contra (2-ALL)
-Crisis Force
-Dragon Spirit
-Goonies, The
-Gradius (1LC)
-Guerilla War
-Gun-Nac
-Gunsmoke
-Jackal (1LC)
-Metal Storm
-Section Z
-Super C (1LC)
-Super Mario Bros. 2
-Toki

Working on No-death runs of Metal Storm and SMB2 right now. Really close on SMB2, been consistently getting to world 7 without dying, no warps of course.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I cleared two loops of Arkista's Ring. I feel like this game requires the 4-All to truly be considered a clear though.

Updated list

Contra (2-All)
Super Contra (1-All)
Contra Force
Kabuki Quantum Fighter
Ninja Crusaders (1-All)
Ninja Cop Saizo
Choujin Sentai Jetman
Spartan X 2
Double Dragon II
Double Dragon III
Mighty Final Fight
Tokkyuu Shirei Solbrain
Vice : Project Doom
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden II
GI Joe : The Atlantis Factor
Kickmaster (1-All)
Castlevania (1-All)
Crisis Force
Dragon Fighter
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 6
Juoki
Trojan
Heavy Barrel
Super Mario Bros. (2-All)
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
First Of The North Star
Bad Dudes
Gun.Smoke (3-All)
Demon Sword
Shadow Of The Ninja
CrossFire
Ikari III
Kid Niki
Castle Of Dragon
Guevara
Salamander (2-All)
Gradius II (2-All)
Power Blade 2
Power Blade (1LC)
Daiku no Gensan (1-All)
Double Dragon
Jackal (1-All)
Werewolf
Arkista's Ring (2-All)
Totally Rad

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Totally Rad ain't half bad, doncha think so Chad, fun can be had just don't go mad, now let's find our dad.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Got the 1cc on Castlevania 3, just about one year ago. I've done it many times since, as well. I took the Alucard route. It took me about 6 months of fairly regular practice (next to no time for games these days, roughly two or three runs per week). The feeling when I finally got it was incredible though.

Any other Castlevania 3 players?

That is some feat. This game handed me my ass when I was a kid and it still does today.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
I managed to 1CC Gimmick with the good ending. The game kinda forces you to 1CC it to get the good ending. I'm guessing you can probably continue on the secret final stage, but I had enough lives that I didn't need to. Felt great beating a reasonably challenging game with the extra challenge of getting all the secret items + no continues.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I managed to 1CC Gimmick with the good ending. The game kinda forces you to 1CC it to get the good ending. I'm guessing you can probably continue on the secret final stage, but I had enough lives that I didn't need to. Felt great beating a reasonably challenging game with the extra challenge of getting all the secret items + no continues.

Awesome. I'd love to learn how to play gimmick one day.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Go for it. Your first playthrough is especially challenging. There are so many enemies and situations that are only used on a single screen so you're constantly dealing with new stuff the entire game. That said, there are infinite continues and the levels are relatively short. I definitely had to look up a few things, like how to beat the boss on stage 5. Subsequent playthroughs are much faster. Knowing is half the battle.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Shinobi - I liked it. I mean it's not great, but it's nowhere near is bad as I would have thought. Did a playthrough last night using the level select cheat to compensate for having no continues. Did a 2nd playthrough today and only died once in 5-2. Only hard part of the game was figuring out how to beat the helicopter and the last boss.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I did. I had the binoculars though, so it wasn't hidden.

Oh that is rad. Man my buddy and I found it one night after trying to see how far we could get and when we went underground and saw it we flipped out. Really cool to a 10 year old to see in game. I should work on that game again.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Since I got my recording setup figured I would start first by recording Ninja Gaiden 2. My best run a few years back was a no death, but a little rusty on here. Not really that difficult but I love ninja Gaiden 2.

With that in mind I feel the hit detection in 2 isn't as solid as 1. I've seen it where enemies can sometimes have invincibility if another enemy is in front of them. Almost like their hitbox blocks the other. It seems random. Also that waterfall death in stage 4 is some of the dumbest shit i've seen lol.

I do plan to record more NES runs and arcade stuff for sure. Probably will do Ninja Gaiden next. Captured this from a NESRGB and upscaled to 4k. Hope you enjoy and that the quality looks good.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I have to really think this through and I'm sure I'll add more:

Contra 1 (no 30 lives trick)
River City Ransom
Double Dragon 1
Double Dragon 2
Kung Fu (looped 5 times is my record)
Super Mario 1-3
TMNT Arcade Game