--6--    --5--
--6--    --5--
--6--    --4--
-----    --5--
--6--    -----

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Sure dude. This is just a small part. If I remember right, after the progression ends, it goes back into that A-G-A-etc progression, but then it plays that other progression around the 1:00 mark, and then instead going into the A-G-A little riff, it continues the other progression where crazy solos play. I didn't sit down to figure if it's just repeating it, or if it has little changes here and there. I just churned this thing out in 5 minutes, so it could probably use tweaking too.

i know its just a little sample but i'll lay a simple walking bass line on it and now it will be beefier. this is how collabs werk! if we can all get down on a quick 0:15 sample, then we can see how feasible this project is.

(ps- just got the sample)

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
i know its just a little sample but i'll lay a simple walking bass line on it and now it will be beefier. this is how collabs werk! if we can all get down on a quick 0:15 sample, then we can see how feasible this project is.

(ps- just got the sample)

Cool. It looks like cdamm has the bass covered then.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I think a sax doing the melody would sound so cool, and maybe even tearing up a solo afterward.

Maybe both Jedah and cdamm can work together on building the bass lines and switch off on the recording, for collab's sake.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
So um, I've never actually tried to record, aside from some studio work I did to help a friend out like a decade ago. Any suggestions on a somewhat inexpensive setup to record the sax to my comp?

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Hmmm.. I've never tried to record a sax. Could it be as simple as mic'ing it with an SM57? You'd still need an interface to run it through, though. You wouldn't necessarily have to multitrack it, but if you had a way to maybe listen to an mp3 through headphones and record a raw file, it could always be aligned when everything is being mixed.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
I think a sax doing the melody would sound so cool, and maybe even tearing up a solo afterward.

Maybe both Jedah and cdamm can work together on building the bass lines and switch off on the recording, for collab's sake.

Sounds good. I'll simply record the lines and send them your way. Since you're heading up the collab I'll leave it in your hands to decided what works best. Once you hear both parts if you need something different such as an accent part or a some harmonies, just let me know.

cannonball

15 Year Member
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Does this look like it will do the trick?

SM57 + x2u Signal to USB converter. The x2u has the 48v phantom power that Jedah mentioned. I guess all I'd need is some free recording software.

I was planning on recording some guitar stuff anyways so I think i can justify the $200 cost of this setup.

Let me know what you think of this.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Does this look like it will do the trick?

SM57 + x2u Signal to USB converter. The x2u has the 48v phantom power that Jedah mentioned. I guess all I'd need is some free recording software.

I was planning on recording some guitar stuff anyways so I think i can justify the $200 cost of this setup.

Let me know what you think of this.

jedah mentioned nothing of 48v phantom power (that was me :D ). a 57 does not need the 48v because it is a dynamic mic. the one that i suggested for your brass needs it because it is a condenser mic and requires the power. 48v will not do anything for a dynamic mic. Also what software will you be using? (most of the free stuff sucks or is a pain in the ass to use)

if you are looking for a simple setup- just get this:

Blue yeti

it is a simple usb powered condenser (and the mic is self powered, so no need to play with the 48v stuff). It is a tremendous mic for the money and will do a great job with any instrument or vox you decide to do.

Pair that with this (im just assuming you are on a pc):

Acid Music Studio

it is solid software that is easy to use.

as a bonus you are all in for $160 ish. if you ever decide to step up and get a multi channel interface, you can still use the yeti either through usb or via a usb to xlr converter and still use the software.

good luck man, welcome to home recording :D.

hit me with a PM (or aim or skype if you want to chat) if you need any help with this stuff- this is what i went to school for. I love putting my audio production degree to work.

Last edited:

cannonball

15 Year Member
jedah mentioned nothing of 48v phantom power (that was me :D ). a 57 does not need the 48v because it is a dynamic mic. the one that i suggested for your brass needs it because it is a condenser mic and requires the power. 48v will not do anything for a dynamic mic. Also what software will you be using? (most of the free stuff sucks or is a pain in the ass to use)

if you are looking for a simple setup- just get this:

Blue yeti

it is a simple usb powered condenser (and the mic is self powered, so no need to play with the 48v stuff). It is a tremendous mic for the money and will do a great job with any instrument or vox you decide to do.

Pair that with this (im just assuming you are on a pc):

Acid Music Studio

it is solid software that is easy to use.

as a bonus you are all in for $160 ish. if you ever decide to step up and get a multi channel interface, you can still use the yeti either through usb or via a usb to xlr converter and still use the software.

good luck man, welcome to home recording :D.

hit me with a PM (or aim or skype if you want to chat) if you need any help with this stuff- this is what i went to school for. I love putting my audio production degree to work.

Sweet! Thank you so much man I just ordered both from amazon. I'll let you guys know when I'm set up.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Sweet! Thank you so much man I just ordered both from amazon. I'll let you guys know when I'm set up.

no prob. enjoy. i think you will find that this starter rig is very expandable as you get more into it.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I pirate my recording software :emb:

But that's going to change next year when I take my Apple Logic certification training courses, which I'll have to own both a mac and the software :crying:

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
Interesting project.

I feel that I lack the skill to participate, as I only play shitty bass or shitty analog-dubstep bass (but I repeat myself), but I think what you guys are doing is neat.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Interesting project.

I feel that I lack the skill to participate, as I only play shitty bass or shitty analog-dubstep bass (but I repeat myself), but I think what you guys are doing is neat.

join the fray. this isnt about skill. it's about having the balls to play and share. are you a bad enough dude to cover some game soundtrack songs?

cannonball

15 Year Member
Because I can't wait to get my recording equip i was messing around using my gaming headset and the sound recorder built into windows lol. So obviously it sounds like shit and won't sync up with your track wes. I'll get real though once my shit arrives from amazon.

Gotta knock the rust off. Have't touched the sax in at least 2 years until today. Been on a guitar kick.

http://soundcloud.com/cannonballfan/ng-com-sax-sample

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
That's sounds pretty damn good for a 2 year break. Were you playing along to the track? If so, I can try and line it up. I'm also surprised how good the sax sounds for going through your gaming headset. This is going to sound pretty good once we all throw our hats into the mix!

cannonball

15 Year Member
That's sounds pretty damn good for a 2 year break. Were you playing along to the track? If so, I can try and line it up. I'm also surprised how good the sax sounds for going through your gaming headset. This is going to sound pretty good once we all throw our hats into the mix!

It will be close to your track but may not be perfect. Because of my setup i had it playing low enough that it wouldn't come through in the recording. It was a real mess haha.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
You mind setting the track up on Soundcloud to where I can download it? There's a box you can check. Just for shits, I can try

cannonball

15 Year Member
Should be able to download now

I take that back about being close. This was one I did without yours in the background and it was a lot faster. or maybe just needs to be trimmed at the beginning. I was being liberal with the time there though so probably not.

Once I can listen to the other parts through a head set while I play I will be golden.

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
It's not in perfect sync, but it gives an idea of what it can sound like (which I think will be awesome). I literally dropped both files into the multitracker and mixed them down.

http://soundcloud.com/wespaul/cleanguitarsax

EDIT - I think once we get everybody playing to a click track, this will be way easier than we think.