Has anybody ever considered porting Super Mario Bros. to the Neo Geo?

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
a bunch of Nintendo titles sources a while ago. I guess it's just a matter of time before ports start happening

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
You can't really port CPS games to the Neo Geo. The aspect ratio is wrong and the Neo's resolution is too low.

There would be aspect ratio problems with NES graphics on the Neo Geo too.

For SMB, you'd be better off with the Super Mario Bros. All Stars sprites since they're closer to Neo Geo quality, but ultimately, it's a dumb idea.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
I would like to see a completely original mario style platformer for the MVS that actually takes advantage of the hardware.

Missile

Another Striker
I'm not really into seeing 8 bit console games on Neo Geo. The original SMB is one of my all time favourite games but I don't really care one way or another if it's on Neo Geo.

I am interested to see most arcade games on Neo Geo though - even the older ones.

You can't really port CPS games to the Neo Geo. The aspect ratio is wrong and the Neo's resolution is too low.

I'd like to see someone make the first level of Ghouls n Ghosts on Neo Geo. It would probably still look and play pretty good. Sure it won't be perfect but close-enough is fine.

Like that recent port of Sonic on Super Nintendo :- It made a huge impact even if the graphics were unavoidably lower res

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
If someone's done a megadrive version you might see someone port that to neo geo, I think that's closer ... but there's not the same kind of nintendo vs sega vibe to motivate anyone to do this.

You only do this if it i) interests you or for ii) attention ... or both ... but I'm honestly not sure if there's a kind of convergence of these 2 things and somone that can.

...Still, I heard some guy made doom for a pregnancy stick so I guess anything is possible...

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Raguy is quite far from playing like a mario game and it doesnt really show off the neo’s power that much.. mario games feel much better than raguy ever did. I really didnt enjoy that game much. Sold my copy a long time ago...

It plays alright. Graphics, sound, and levels are fun. Feels a bit off at times. All the hallmarks of a great but janky early ADK release. Closest the system ever came to a Mario style platformer.

Sadly platformers in arcades went the way of the dodo after Street Fighter 2 mania hit. Fighting games and shooters ate way more quarters. The Neo did get Top Hunter though, and Metal Slug has platformer elements to it if you squint your eyes enough.

More platformers and RPGs for the AES would have been nice, but as we all know, SNK or third party devs never made games for just the AES or MVS. Neo-Geo CD came too late for it, at least for markets outside of Japan.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Good work dude, it really looks like it is coming along nicely. Its still really bizarre seeing nsmb on a neo though! Lol

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Porting such a game seems like a waste of (great) effort and talent but what do I know? It's looking pretty good for what it is.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Porting such a game seems like a waste of (great) effort and talent but what do I know? It's looking pretty good for what it is.

These types of projects are often learning tools that can lead to other more original projects. I wouldn't want to discourage someone from implementing a 2d platformer engine just because the demo is based on SMB.

ozzyyzzo

n00b
These types of projects are often learning tools that can lead to other more original projects. I wouldn't want to discourage someone from implementing a 2d platformer engine just because the demo is based on SMB.

You mean something else like this ;-)
->

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
@ozzyyzzo Great efforts here. Very glitchy right now, but great progress, and the background looks great.

FYI, the buttons are swapped. Should be B to jump and A to run/shoot, per Neo Geo conventions.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Forget about Mario, how about Sonic on the Neo?
This would be really interesting.

The Neo has the grunt to pull off something like Sonic Mania (ie: quite a step above the Mega Drive), I'd be really curious to see what people could make of it.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
Just curious but is it possible to port Toaplan's Wardner and Demon's World to the Neo Geo?

proommnets

n00b
There are so many fan made modifications of popular games that I am sure you will find something like it. I am from the US worldcams.tv/united-states/duluth/harbor and know very skillful developers who can do anything you like. If you need a partner or consultation in this matter, please write me privately, and I will share their contacts with you. Hope it will help some of you.

Last edited: