Has anybody ever considered porting Super Mario Bros. to the Neo Geo?

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
There is a disassembly of the NES ROM available, and it was used to create a Genesis version.

I think it would be awesome to play a Neo Geo version of Super Mario Bros.

EDIT: Just to clarify what I'm talking about by porting SMB over to the Neo Geo, here's a pasting of a post I made further down in this topic. I figured I should paste it here so everybody gets the right idea the first time.

I think people aren't getting my idea behind this topic.

What I was originally talking about was taking the source code, making whatever changes necessary for it to compile and execute on Neo Geo hardware in a state as close to the NES original as possible, and making it happen. This is more or less what the Genesis version did.

When I was talking about the sound, I was referring to how the Genesis version had noticeably different sound that was most likely necessitated by the differing sound hardware between the NES and the Genesis. If a change like that has to occur in a Neo Geo port, the extra fidelity of the Neo Geo sound hardware might make for some interesting results. I'm not saying that anybody should recompose the music to use the extra sound channels or even to make it stereo.

XX mentioned redrawing sprites. At first, I thought this was necessary due to technical differences between the NES and the Neo Geo. However, I'm beginning to think it was a misunderstanding.

Specifically, a Neo Geo equivalent of this is what I was thinking about when making this topic.

(Ignore the aspect ratio.)

Last edited:

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
I suppose the rights are not available like for why we can't get pac-man carts?

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
I'm not saying carts have to be made. Even though I do have the capability to make a Genesis cart of SMB, I've only played the Genesis version in an emulator. I just think it would be cool to try it on the Neo Geo. Slap a ROM into an emulator and enjoy it as a novelty for a while.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
A direct port of SMB to the Neo would be a little interesting, but ultimately wouldn't make much of a splash. But an all new platformer that's at least as good as SMB3 for the Neo would be amazing.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
All the sprites would have to be redrawn. Why port over a game that uses such small sprites? If anything should be ported over it should be other arcade games.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

:scratch:

All the sprites would have to be redrawn. Why port over a game that uses such small sprites? If anything should be ported over it should be other arcade games.

I suppose the sprite thing could be one of the reasons why it hasn't already been done.

I brought SMB up because its source code has been recreated, and it has been ported over to at least one other game console. It would be fun to see SMB running natively on the Neo Geo. I'm not thinking about practicality. I just think it would be fun.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
:scratch:

I suppose the sprite thing could be one of the reasons why it hasn't already been done.

I brought SMB up because its source code has been recreated, and it has been ported over to at least one other game console. It would be fun to see SMB running natively on the Neo Geo. I'm not thinking about practicality. I just think it would be fun.

Ya but there would be nothing Neo about it. It would just be superfluous. I'm all for a Mario specifically made for the Neo. I think Super Mario World would be a better fit for the Neo since it uses zoom and maybe that can be redrawn to keep the sprite clear instead of pixelated.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
I wasn't thinking about SMB having anything Neo about it. There's nothing Genesis about it, and it turned out to be fun and interesting to see it running on a Genesis.

Just like how it was interesting to listen to the different music and sound effects on the Genesis version, it could end up being even more interesting to hear them on the Neo Geo with its amazing audio capabilities. In addition, like you said before, sprites and possibly other things would need to get redrawn. (I'm not entirely sure why because it didn't seem like they were redrawn for the Genesis, but I guess you know.) That would be putting a fairly Neo spin on it, wouldn't it?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
For SMB to qualify as a Neo Geo game, it'd require tons of animation frames, zooming in and out, cheesy quality PCM music, really hard bosses and flying power discs.

It'd be easier to just code a platformer from the ground up and add in as many awesome Neo Geo-like features as you'd want.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
I think people aren't getting my idea behind this topic.

What I was originally talking about was taking the source code, making whatever changes necessary for it to compile and execute on Neo Geo hardware in a state as close to the NES original as possible, and making it happen. This is more or less what the Genesis version did.

When I was talking about the sound, I was referring to how the Genesis version had noticeably different sound that was most likely necessitated by the differing sound hardware between the NES and the Genesis. If a change like that has to occur in a Neo Geo port, the extra fidelity of the Neo Geo sound hardware might make for some interesting results. I'm not saying that anybody should recompose the music to use the extra sound channels or even to make it stereo.

XX mentioned redrawing sprites. At first, I thought this was necessary due to technical differences between the NES and the Neo Geo. However, I'm beginning to think it was a misunderstanding.

Specifically, a Neo Geo equivalent of this is what I was thinking about when making this topic.

(Ignore the aspect ratio.)

N30_G30_speed

Angel's Love Slave
A mario port wouldn't be bad, but I'm all for a Dungeons and Dragons: Tower of Doom or Shadow over Mystara port.
THAT would be awesome.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
This is a dumb idea. People should be trying to port something better to the neo-geo, like Guilty Gear, or Blazblue. I'm tired of lame ass homebrews that treat the neo like it's a G1 gameboy.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
This is a dumb idea. People should be trying to port something better to the neo-geo, like Guilty Gear, or Blazblue. I'm tired of lame ass homebrews that treat the neo like it's a G1 gameboy.

But it's not every game that's so iconic yet also gets disassembled.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
XX mentioned redrawing sprites.

I can currently play Super Mario Bros. on nearly every console I own, I just played it on Dreamcast last week... But I've never been able to play a Neo Super Mario Bros. Redraw the sprites bigger and bolder, remaster the soundtrack and when I kick a koopa shell through a line of goombas I want it to have that classic heavy, choppy SNK fighting game feel to it. That, I'd pay good money for.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
A 1:1 port could be an interesting project for someone who's learning how to code for the neo but other than that it would be a waste of time.

However, a redrawn version that really does the neo justice would be pretty awesome and nice to own on cart, if it wasn't 400€.

fucked_king

New Challenger
How about a port of New Super Mario Bros (or similar game with non-infringing original characters?)
That's really more in line with the Neo's capabilities.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Fast forward to the year 2020 ^^

Neo super Mario Prototype and 'making of' on youtube :

https://youtu.be/WmwpnJBYWcU

Project page for more informations :

https://ozzyouzo.itch.io/neosmb

Basically, i was just testing and building from scratch with the SMB NES world 1-1 map as a reference.

The plan is to port NDS / Wii / WiiU New super Mario on the neogeo!

enjoy

Back in 2012, SMB meant Super Mario Bros. In 2020, SMB means Suck My Balls.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Fast forward to the year 2020 ^^

Neo super Mario Prototype and 'making of' on youtube :

https://youtu.be/WmwpnJBYWcU

Project page for more informations :

https://ozzyouzo.itch.io/neosmb

Basically, i was just testing and building from scratch with the SMB NES world 1-1 map as a reference.

The plan is to port NDS / Wii / WiiU New super Mario on the neogeo!

enjoy

There's too many frames in between the sound effect for jumping (which I'm assuming is when the jump button is pressed) and when Mario gets off the ground.

As a technical exercise, just for fun, I can see why someone would try working on this. The Neo Geo doesn't need the most vanilla, kiddie platformer, though. Seeing the DS/Wii era assets just reminds me of something kids would play in elementary school.

Last edited: