Did the Vita fail yet?

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
It turned profit much faster than Microsoft since its launch date...

I'm 99% certain this is false. The 360 was being sold at a profit a year or two before the PS3 was.

The PS3 is doing just fine and is beating 360 in multiple regions and has its traditionally strong 1st and 3rd party support.

This is true. However, the 360 is ahead in two of the world's largest videogame markets: North America and the UK. The PS3 is way ahead in Japan and slightly ahead in Mainland Europe. And then there's the Wii, which has left both in the dust everywhere. From a business standpoint, it's a bit hard to call the PS3 a success when it has cost Sony so much money and marketshare. Still, all things considered, it isn't doing bad at all either : the PS3 has sold more than all the previous 2nd and 3rd place consoles.

Hardware-wise, it seems like Sony has learned a few lessons from the PS3 with the Vita. Supposedly Sony is breaking-even on every Vita sold, which means they have little incentive to drop the price any time soon. I wouldn't expect one until late Fall/early Winter at the earliest. Some retailers are giving away $50 gift cards with the purchase of a Vita at the moment though (Walmart and Best Buy iirc).

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I'm 99% certain this is false. The 360 was being sold at a profit a year or two before the PS3 was.

You have to remember how many 1st / 2nd version model 360 consoles that were repaired at a loss that was an estimated $1B. That is old news from 2007. As Microsoft announced that year before the RROD exploded on the net, that Halo 3 console sales would make the console all profit from there. Regardless if Sony had a YLOD issue, the PS3 was no where near the % failure and repair rate of the 1st and 2nd version models of the 360. Which put a huge dent in MS's console profit even with ppl just buying new consoles to replace dead ones out of warranty. Which pushed their profit date of Holiday 2007 to Q3 2008. In 2008 Sony announced to shareholders the PS3 was in its profit stage.

Yes, I agree Sony has learned from the PS3 with the Vita. The issue with Sony and the next generation is their goal will still be the same with the PS4. Build the "Best Console" with the "Best Hardware" in their eyes.

I have both consoles and enjoy them both equally. If the history of the 360 was some other company's venture the straight loss of repair/replacement of the 1st/2nd models would have bankrupted them, period. Microsoft has tossed so much money at their game division its sickening.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
the PS3 isn't a very good system

Has anyone here ever typed out a long response, and then, rather than hitting the "Post Quick Reply" button, you instead hit the big, shiny "+ Reply to Thread" button by mistake? Thereby erasing your post? Just me...? I think I've done that maybe three times in the time since the forum upgrade. Well, fuck it. I'm not typing that out again. My response will remain a mystery.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
This is a pretty gay argument.

It's not even an argument really. Love how 2 ppl having a discussion with a few different opinions is considered an argument.

Anyway, back to hibernation.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
It's not even an argument really. Love how 2 ppl having a discussion with a few different opinions is considered an argument.

Anyway, back to hibernation.

Nah. It's two people trying to thinly veil their biases behind the illusion of a "discussion."

Any time you have to say "I love both consoles equally" and then say only one of them "sickens" (lol, your words, not mine) you when they lose money is bias.

You trying to deny it is gay as fuck, too.

And, yes, STK, I do that shit all the time. It's gay as hell. Gayer than two guys being gay and then lying about being gay, all queer-like.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Nah. It's two people trying to thinly veil their biases behind the illusion of a "discussion."

Any time you have to say "I love both consoles equally" and then say only one of them "sickens" (lol, your words, not mine) you when they lose money is bias.

You trying to deny it is gay as fuck, too.

And, yes, STK, I do that shit all the time. It's gay as hell. Gayer than two guys being gay and then lying about being gay, all queer-like.

Sry Soil, not enough "gay" "gayer" and "queer-likes" for a NG standard post quote break down on your assumption. You can continue if you like.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
It's no secret that I prefer the 360 over the PS3. I'd like the PS3 a bit more if I were still into JRPGs as much as I used to be. That genre is one of the PS3's biggest strengths. But these days, I'd rather play shmups and FPS/3PS games most of the time.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
It's no secret that I prefer the 360 over the PS3. I'd like the PS3 a bit more if I were still into JRPGs as much as I used to be. That genre is one of the PS3's biggest strengths. But these days, I'd rather play shmups and FPS/3PS games most of the time.

Yep, I use my J360 for shmups, PS3 for JRPGs and PC for Steam/FPS and Doujins.

Metus

n00b
The ps vita imo is currently a fail system to own. The price point is to high for a lack of quality games to play. The 3g model is a waste of money to a gamer seeing as how sony even tells you to be connected to wifi to play online.

I see a price drop in the vita's future the closer we get to christmas.

You would think they would have seen how badly the 3ds failed without strong titles and a high price tag and adjusted, but hey what do i know, I'm just a gamer :)

just my $.02

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Just speaking as one gamer, I genuinely don't care about the Vita right now.

Maybe I would care more if they didn't show the same commercial of the guy playing the PS3 baseball game and then somehow transferring it over to his Vita for the past three months. It doesn't help that the commercial absolutely does not explain how this works. Is it remote play? Is it like the MGS HD transfarring? I never cared enough to find out.

Maybe I would care more if the demo kiosk I played had a Virtua Tennis game that didn't have a worse framerate in player celebration scenes than the first one on the Dreamcast. I swear, I was able to count the framerate on one hand. Somehow, the general gameplay, while solid framerate-wise, felt significantly less exciting than the Dreamcast original, too.

Maybe I would care if they didn't make the face buttons so tiny.

But when the Ys 4 remake gets released, holy smoke! But I hope they have a version with TV-out by this point. I don't get why they removed support for TV-out before it came out. It's one of my favorite things about my PSP 3000.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
But when the Ys 4 remake gets released, holy smoke! But I hope they have a version with TV-out by this point. I don't get why they removed support for TV-out before it came out. It's one of my favorite things about my PSP 3000.

My guess is that tv-out functionality is still there. The Vita has a data port next to the cart slot with unknown functionality. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony releases some sort of special cable or add-on that connects to that port and (along with a firmware update) offers video-out through it.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Might end up being used for Gameshark, like the port on the back of the PS1.

Last edited:

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Looks nice: http://www.the-magicbox.com/1206/game120620b.shtml

Any idea which version of Ys IV it's a remake of?

My understanding is that there is currently no Falcom Ys IV. The PCE version was made by Hudson, and the SFC version was made by somebody else. The SFC version is considered canon these days, though. When Falcom remakes Ys IV in their own way on the Vita, it will be the new canon game.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Which version was the PS2 port based on?

I wasn't aware that there was a PS2 version. I knew there were some odd PS2 versions of Ys games, but almost all of them are in Japanese, not developed by Falcom, and generally considered meh.

But I do love the US version of Ark of Napishtim on the PS2. It's Konami's port, but they did a good job.