Did the Vita fail yet?

Ruell

, I FORGOT MY SECRET SANTA OBLIGATION. FUCK ME, RI
As a comparison between the 3ds and the vita. I probably suspect a price drop and some games by christmas making it the must have of the holiday season.

mesmer

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Before the PSP turned into a dating sim game machine...
I would totally buy the PSP as a dating sim game machine, but a 272 line screen? That is like SNES graphics. I want my dating sims to look nice. When the vita replaces the psp in this arena, I'll pick it up. The resolution looks promising.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
The psp felt better only for the simple fact hadnt seen that much power in a handheld ever. The screen was amazing the whole concept was amazing. The psvita is more of the same but more powerful. They both had pathetically weak launches but the vita is more noticeable because we've been here done that before. I think they should of waited until the FFX port or FFtype0 port where ready and then bundled it. Portables need to be marketed differently the traditional home consoles and I dont think anyone gets that. PSV and 3ds both honestly suck right now and might be the worst portable generation yet.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Yeah ok, I don't remember the Pippin making a big impact on the industry...

640px-Pippin-Atmark-Console-Set.png

Sega all the way...

That was the Old apple, not the shiny new Apple, if apple did jump in the ring i say they would probably win

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06...ampaign=Feed:+ign/articles+(IGN+All+Articles)

The best news of all, however, is that if you already own a PSone Classic, whether on PS3 or PSP or both, you won’t have to purchase the game again. All you’ll have to do is connect your Vita to your PS3 or directly to the PlayStation Network and transfer the game(s) desired from your purchased items list. And if you don’t own a PSone Classic and want to play it on Vita, there will be no restrictions. Every game currently available in the PSone Classics catalog will be available for play on Vita with no exceptions.

That's a relief for me. I have lots of PS1 Classics games, and it's a good sign that I may benefit from that for another generation.

MegaGraffin

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Whether it's doing well or not doesn't necessarily bother me. When the 3DS came out I could care less. I saw it in Target, tried it out, and was not impressed. Other than the new Kid Icarus game, I've had no real desire to buy a 3DS. I loved the regular DS and the GBA. Both were awesome systems with awesome games. At this point, I see absolutely no reason to buy a 3DS.

Other than being hindered by awful, just awful, marketing, the Vita should be doing really well. It has access to a ton of the PSP library (I've bought a ton of PSP games both some I've played before and some I hadn't. Definitely worth their purchase prices), the screen is gorgeous, the touch screen is responsive, decent/good battery life, and there are plenty of good games for it. Wipeout, HSG, Lumines, Plants vs. Zombies...Granted these are basically retreads, but they are definitely good retreads. The new Mortal Kombat is a very good handheld fighting game and I'd never even thought about buying a handheld fighting game before because typically they just don't work. MK Vita works well. VT4 is also a very fun game.

Granted, there isn't a ton of excitement about the Vita due to slow releases (it's cool Gravity Rush is almost out) and next to no marketing (at least where I live). If people gave the Vita a chance and accepted it for what it is, I'm sure plenty of people would be quite surprised...Unfortunately, it seems people would rather hope for its demise thus partially creating their own self-fulling prophecy.

In short, buy a Vita and I doubt you'll be disappointed in the short-term..In the long term????...That's up to Sony and other developers. With a new Sly Cooper and JSR coming up at least that's something to hope for.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
So when are they going to release some killer app for it?

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
So when are they going to release some killer app for it?

Wipeout 2048 has been available since launch, Gravity Rush comes out in a few days, DJ Max Technika Tune comes out near the end of summer, Soul Sacrifice will be out by the end of the year.

Last edited:

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Im glad I held off the initial hype and didnt purchase a Vita. That being said I do want one but dont want to drop £££ incase the long term future of the portable is not good. I think they need to cut the price like Nintendo did with the 3DS and get some more games out for it. Hopefully the handheld is not dead yet and things will pick up. Looks like a great system, would be a shame if it was not a success.

Last edited:

elixir

NAM-75 Vet
I might be speaking in buyer's defense, but I have no reason to believe the console is going to fail. Gamers ― generally speaking ― just assume there'll be tons of content within the first year to justify the console's launch price, which is unrealistic as all hell and almost never happens.

I also like how the Vita doesn't seem to shoehorn trophies at you. A lot of that is put aside, the whole "social networking" aspect is entirely optional. A lot of PSP games I missed out on are also on the stores, and I didn't have any UMDs so the lack of UMD support doesn't bother me.

They didn't show this trailer at E3, for some reason;

Soul Sacrifice, Hatsune Miku, Gravity Rush, Super Monkey Ball, Sly Cooper HD, MGS HD, and Persona 4 Golden take my interest. Ragnarok Odyssey is also something I'll probably buy, and I'll definitely purchase PSO2. I'm still waiting for DJMAX Technika Tune, the reason I bought the handheld.

The only actually annoying thing that I don't like about the Vita is the whole "one account per memory stick" thing.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
The only actually annoying thing that I don't like about the Vita is the whole "one account per memory stick" thing.

That was stupid when it was announced and it's stupid now

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Wipeout 2048 has been available since launch, Gravity Rush comes out in a few days, DJ Max Technika Tune comes out near the end of summer, Soul Sacrifice will be out by the end of the year.

If Wipeout 2048 is their killer app, then there is no reason to make the purchase.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Oh yeah, Assassin's Creed 3 Liberation is looking like it could turn out pretty well.

Soul Sacrifice, Hatsune Miku, Gravity Rush, Super Monkey Ball, Sly Cooper HD, MGS HD, and Persona 4 Golden take my interest. Ragnarok Odyssey is also something I'll probably buy, and I'll definitely purchase PSO2. I'm still waiting for DJMAX Technika Tune, the reason I bought the handheld.

I really hope the Project Diva game gets released here, but I'll still probably import it eventually if it doesn't. Haven't played Persona 4 yet either, so I'm very interested in the Vita port. Summer is going to have quite a few releases I'm looking forward to: Gravity Rush, New Little King's Story, DJ Max Technika, Ragnarok Odyssey...

If Wipeout 2048 is their killer app, then there is no reason to make the purchase.

Well...if your tastes are more mainstream, there's also Uncharted Golden Abyss, which is pretty good for what it is.

elixir

NAM-75 Vet
I really hope the Project Diva game gets released here, but I'll still probably import it eventually if it doesn't. Haven't played Persona 4 yet either, so I'm very interested in the Vita port. Summer is going to have quite a few releases I'm looking forward to: Gravity Rush, New Little King's Story, DJ Max Technika, Ragnarok Odyssey...

Well, it's in the Vita trailer up there, and was a playable demo at E3, it'd be weird if they refrained from localization at this point.

Ragnarok Odyssey's getting an Asian English release in July. Asian releases are usually cheaper than US/JP ones, I'll probably jump on that. I'm going to try and avoid Japanese imports if I can help it ― at some point digital distribution and buying locally became cheaper than importing, a first in gaming history.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Well, it's in the Vita trailer up there, and was a playable demo at E3, it'd be weird if they refrained from localization at this point.

True, but there have been instances where games that were supposed to be localized ended up not getting localizations in the end. So until there's some official announcement, I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed.

I'm going to try and avoid Japanese imports if I can help it ― at some point digital distribution and buying locally became cheaper than importing, a first in gaming history.

I haven't been importing nearly as much as I used to either. We have the strong Yen (among other things) to thank for it.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Then continue waiting as they have made 3 very successful consoles.
Yeah, if he wants to see Sony out, first we have to wait for them to come up with a Sega CD followed by a 32X followed by a Saturn. That ought to do it. Then, even if they come out with a Dreamcast, it will be too late to save them.

But until then, they'll probably stick around.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Then continue waiting as they have made 3 very successful consoles.

I don't think the PS3 could be considered very successful. At least relative to the PS2 and PS1, it is definitely not successful. Sony isn't doing very well financially at the moment (their stock is at its lowest point since the 80s actually). Even so, the gaming industry would be the last market that they'd leave, since it's one of the few that's been good for them overall.

cloofoofoo

n00b
I dunno if it fails numbers/money wise, but personally it was a real waste for me.Bought 2 at launch with 2 games and havent touched them since.I also dont bother with digital psp games because why pay 39.99 or whatever tekken 6 is worth in psn when I can go to gamestop and get it for 19.99 or less for my psp.The only reason I bought was to actually play Ragnarok odyssey(once it arrives in english) with the wife and I wanted gravity daze but lost interest once I tried the japanese demo.From my perspective it feels like theres nothing on it and sony isnt doing much about it for now.

Piccolo_DBz

Astra,
I also dont bother with digital psp games because why pay 39.99 or whatever tekken 6 is worth in psn when I can go to gamestop and get it for 19.99 or less for my psp.

I know! I saw that when I was looking up prices. I remeber seeing it in the clearance bin.

It's an 09 release!! WTF!?!

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I don't think the PS3 could be considered very successful. At least relative to the PS2 and PS1, it is definitely not successful. Sony isn't doing very well financially at the moment (their stock is at its lowest point since the 80s actually). Even so, the gaming industry would be the last market that they'd leave, since it's one of the few that's been good for them overall.

Compared with the PS1 and PS2 of course not. However the competition in those eras was less as their only true competitor was Nintendo. PS3 is actually a successful console in a more competitive market. It turned profit much faster than Microsoft since its launch date and is only a few million units behind them and PS3 launched a year later. The PS3 is doing just fine and is beating 360 in multiple regions and has its traditionally strong 1st and 3rd party support.

Their game division is a small piece of the pie in their stock anyway, same goes for Microsoft.