SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Looks like My Little Pony makes an appearance in this game:

31Y12.jpg

Bay78

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
Its all about the gameplay for me. And for me there is nothing better then playing Diablo 3 with 3 of your best buddies. Just can't wait for voice chat.

Bay78

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
OUCH! I like the game but not that much LOL!

MegaGraffin

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Stupid question here but I'm not a Diablo 3 pro just yet. I'm playing as a monk.

The monk can equip one handed weapons (sword, mace, fist weapon, etc) and two handed weapons (daibo, 2 handed polearm, etc)...His primary attack is punching of some sort.

As I said this is kind of a dumb question...When I'm punching I'm not really hitting the mobs with my weapon but I'm assuming the damage of my weapon affects the power of this primary attack whether or not I'm actually punching with swords or not..

I'm sorry if this isn't very clear..Basically I'm assuming whatever the dmg for the weapons show, that translates to my primary attacks being more powerful, whether not I'm actually using my weapon in battle although it's equipped..

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
It's weird with D3. With some of the characters the weapons are for stats and purely cosmetic. My Witch Doctor can hold a couple of different weapons but in the game he never uses them. He'll hold the ceremonial knife, but he never stabs anybody with it, but since it's for the Witch Doc, it gives him bonus's. I've noticed that with a couple of other classes. Even though the Monk's moves revolve around punches, you can still do the same attacks with a weapon. I stick to fist weapons on my Monk because their usually faster then most other weapons. It's all stat based.

What's also weird is that on the Demon Hunter you can equip 1 and 2 handed bows and crossbows, but you can still equip a quiver on your off hand. It's listed as "Off Hand" and not Quiver like it was on D2. I'm just thankful you don't have to run around for arrows and their unlimited. I'd never use the rapid fire power if they weren't.

I'm pretty sure in D2 if you had a weapon in your offhand it did half the number, but I'm not sure about that in D3. If anybody could please correct me, let me know.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Just beat the game with the DH, will mess around in nightmare next before start a new character.

Also, add to the list:
Calikitz#1602 - Neo Maikeru

He posted it in the order D3 thread might as well add it to this list

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah in D3 the weapon dictates how much damage you do. Mouse over your skills and hold CTRL and you'll see most skills deal damage as a percent of weapon damage.

Not sure how damage is calculated when dual wielding.

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I decided to go with a monk instead, and beat the game. I'm currently going through nightmare with him. It's pretty crazy how powerful he is. My mantra constantly gives me life, and every time I attack, I build tons of spirit, and whenever I use spirit-based specials, I gain even more life, all while attacking huge groups at a time. It's pretty hard to die. I usually only die if I'm one-shotted, or get stunned over a high damage aoe like fire or poison.

Edit - Picture of my guy

imM5m.jpg

Last edited:

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
Not sure how damage is calculated when dual wielding.

When you dual wield, your attack speed is first increased by 15% and then the DPS is calculated as the average between the two weapons, so it's possible to have your DPS decrease by adding a second weapon. The key do doing this effectively is to have the DPS of both weapons be as close together as possible, and to make sure that the weapons have appropriate bonuses that effect both weapons. Also due to the speed increase, dual wielding will increase the rate of effects that proc on hit/crit since you're attacking more often. For DH the quiver gives 10% attack speed, so it's easy to make up the difference of that 5% if you get one with high damage stats or bonuses to your primary or secondary skills, and you don't have to worry about DPS matching a pair of weapons every time you upgrade.

My main is a DH (currently on nightmare), but my alt trailing a little behind is a monk. Enjoying both immensely, but while I found the monk was great all the way so far, the DH didn't really open up until lvl 30 when you could really start doing some serious hatred generating builds. I find the monk makes a great alt for DH since the itemization is similar and you can use hand me downs. Just take the seize the initiative passive to add 100% of your DEX to armor and then you stack DEX/VIT same as DH except DEX will give you increased damage, dodge %, and armor all in one stat. Monks are the best AOE tanks with great damage and crowd control abilities.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
What skills do you use on your Monk?

I'm at level 26 right now, about to beat Act 2. I've been playing with my friend who is a Sorceress. He basically puts out massive AoE damage so I've been doing single target stuff.

I really love when you get to level 30 and can have three passive skills. Good stuff.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
What skills do you use on your Monk?

I'm at level 26 right now, about to beat Act 2. I've been playing with my friend who is a Sorceress. He basically puts out massive AoE damage so I've been doing single target stuff.

I really love when you get to level 30 and can have three passive skills. Good stuff.

Here's what I would use at 26:

Primary: Crippling Wave
Rune: Mangle

Secondary: Tempest Rush
Rune: Tailwind

Defensive: Blinding Flash
Rune: Self Reflection

Techniques: Dashing Strike
Rune: Flying Side Kick

Focus: Cyclone Strike
Rune: Implosion

Mantra: Mantra of Evasion
Rune: Hard Target

Passive Skill 1: Chant of Resonance (Fleet Footed is good for farming since you have lower spirit use)
Passive Skill 2: Seize the Initiative

This build is good for farming as well as tanking at your level. You basically use dashing strike to get to key targets, then cyclone strike to pull them in and then spam crippling wave. If you're in a group, you adjust these tactics for control for tanking purposes. The monk is about AOE damage and mob control - single target damage is poor. At lower levels the monk can farm faster than any other class (WD overtakes this at higher levels but the monk is still second best).

Edit: Also, like I mentioned before, the key to this build is Seize the Initiative. Stack dex above all else followed by vitality. Go for high armor pieces if possible as well as spirit regen and life on hit. Use a fast fist for main hand and offhand a shield with high armor and high dex, no dual wield. With this build and proper gearing at 26 your hp should remain at max the whole time and you'll have good mob control.

Last edited:

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Anybody have luck selling stuff on the Auction House? I've gotten a few yellow items I don't really need and I threw them up on there at the lowest price and the fish aren't biting.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
Anybody have luck selling stuff on the Auction House? I've gotten a few yellow items I don't really need and I threw them up on there at the lowest price and the fish aren't biting.

Don't get caught up in the whole rare thing. Plenty of rares are crap. Ones that are itemized well can be worth selling. Just like a "normal" item can be generated with different tiers of quality, i.e. poor, normal, superior, masterwork, the same applies to magic items and rares. You can have a poor quality rare that's worse than a masterwork magic item for example. You'll see for a given item at a given item level there will be a range of base dps/armor values. This tips you off to the quality of the item. Then you have the number of attributes the item is generated with. A top tier rare for its class generated with 6 attributes might be especially valuable, but the itemization could just be plain bad. The attributes that are valuable to stack change with the level of the item, as does the disposable income. A low level item may not sell for a lot since the target audience isn't very rich (of course a truly exceptional low level piece might sell for a bit to someone making an alt).

Also keep in mind that if you put something up for sale it will be stuck in your sales queue for a couple days. You don't want to clog up the queue (you only can sell 10) and then not be able to sell things that should be fast movers. You don't have the locker space for it. If I get a rare that is exceptional, i'll either use it on my main (DH) or my monk or wiz alts, or I'll sell it. If it's mediocre or poor I'll just vendor it. Don't forget to gear up your followers though.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Pretty much the above. You have to be real careful with what you put up for sale. You can't just auction stuff because it's yellow. You have to pay attention to the stats and the class it's aimed for. It's fucking ridiculous that you can only have 10 auctions at one time, and that you aren't allowed to cancel them. I have a feeling that will get a strong overhaul in the future, though. I do understand why they're doing it - you can get a thousand "rare" drops a day, and everybody (millions of people) wants to throw them on the AH at once. You only have 46 pages you can view at once, so you're going to miss probably 80% of the stuff unless you really narrow down what you're looking for.

I've just now come to terms that I'm going to vendor 95% of my yellows. My stash was so packed with stuff I planned on vendoring in the future, but after days of shit not selling, I had to go through and really look at everything and decide what I'm going to keep to auction, and may save for future alts.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I vendor/salvage almost all yellows. It's really not worth the time to sell on AH until you get to the higher levels anyways.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Think that's what I'll end up doing. I ended up getting three yellows in the span of 20 minutes one night and it was nothing I use with my Doc so I said the hell with it and thew up on the AH. I'll end up scrapping them at the vendor. I have a blue dagger I use on my Doc that has plus 30 to Int, so I might put that on the AH because that's the strongest buff I have seen so far. I've got over 100 of the essence and a lot of teeth. The problem is I've got the Blacksmithing up so high I can't even use most of the items I make because I'm not even 22 on my Doc yet. I'm upping my gems and storage box till I get into my high 20s when I'll be able to use the items I have.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
Think that's what I'll end up doing. I ended up getting three yellows in the span of 20 minutes one night and it was nothing I use with my Doc so I said the hell with it and thew up on the AH. I'll end up scrapping them at the vendor. I have a blue dagger I use on my Doc that has plus 30 to Int, so I might put that on the AH because that's the strongest buff I have seen so far. I've got over 100 of the essence and a lot of teeth. The problem is I've got the Blacksmithing up so high I can't even use most of the items I make because I'm not even 22 on my Doc yet. I'm upping my gems and storage box till I get into my high 20s when I'll be able to use the items I have.

Don't salvage everything; only the cheap stuff. There are different mats for the different difficulty levels of the game. Those earlier essences and fangs won't do you much good in nightmare for example, as it only let's you craft low level stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BobbyPeru

Man of Letters
Well, it took me 9 hours, but I finally finished act one at level 17.

I haven't enjoyed a game this much in a long time.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
downloading this shit now

should be on later and tomorrow

battlenet handle: JeetKuneJoe

MegaGraffin

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Well just beat Diablo 3 on normal today...Kinda funny how Acts 1 and 2 are fairly long, three seems medium, and then...Boom (cue John Madden voice)..Act 4 is basically over in a flash...One shot Diablo himself, but some boss prior to him kept kicking my ass-dropping poison puddles on the ground and then ganging up on me..lol..Made me start switching my skills and everything, but I think my play was the problem, not the skills chosen..Anyways, cool game with so much replay value it's criminal..

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Well just beat Diablo 3 on normal today...Kinda funny how Acts 1 and 2 are fairly long, three seems medium, and then...Boom (cue John Madden voice)..Act 4 is basically over in a flash...One shot Diablo himself, but some boss prior to him kept kicking my ass-dropping poison puddles on the ground and then ganging up on me..lol..Made me start switching my skills and everything, but I think my play was the problem, not the skills chosen..Anyways, cool game with so much replay value it's criminal..

lol, you one shot Diablo on your first playthrough?

BobbyPeru

Man of Letters
So, how does the multiplayer work?

I know everyone is at a different level and all that. Do you just team up, choose a place and do a run-through? Does it affect your single player campaign?

So many questions.