Nice shoes (Men's Fashion Thread)

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Hey, let's make a men's fashion thread. I'll get it started:

A guy I buy bow ties from got some shoes made and posted some pics on his blog. I was pretty impressed:

Initials-NA-Bespoke-Hand-Made-Italian-Ivan-Crivellaro-Shoes-Scarpe-Limited-Edition-Crocodile-Leather-Painted-Soles.jpg

Ivan-Crivellaro-Hand-Made-Bespoke-Shoes-Le-Noeud-Papillon-Sydney.jpg

Dali-Shoes-Ivan-Crivellaro-Le-Noeud-Papillon-Sydney-Hand-Made.jpg

Dali-Painting-Sole-Shoe-Ivan-Crivellaro-Bespoke-Hand-Made-Shoes-Le-Noeud-Papillon-Sydney-Australia.jpg

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Do we have a men's fashion thread?

Let's make one.

I've been looking for some new shoes.

HeartlessNinny

Do we have a men's fashion thread?

Let's make one.

I'm for this. I can post updated pics of my bow tie collection. :)

EDIT: Fuck it, let's make this the men's fashion thread. Bow tie pics incoming. :buttrock:

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
this should blow ninnys mind.

Screenshot2012-05-02at112331PM.png

Screenshot2012-05-02at112313PM.png

HeartlessNinny

Looking forward to it.

Ask and ye shall receive. I already posted these... I've gotten maybe half a dozen more in the past few months. I'll snap a pic of those and put it up tomorrow. Here's what I got so far:

P1100384.jpg

P1100385.jpg

P1100389.jpg

God damn I love bow ties.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I dig that yellow one.

You have an equally nice taste in shoes?

HeartlessNinny

I dig that yellow one.

You have an equally nice taste in shoes?

I'd like to think so, but I really need some new ones at the moment. Got a big dearth of cool shoes... A lot of my favourites have worn out lately and I need to replace them with cool new pairs. It's hard to find cool shoes in my size though.

aria

Former Moderator
Damn, Ninny --that's a lot of Tom Ford! I was told he's so particular about how the ties look he only sells them as pre-tied hook-ons. After I taught myself how to tie one I'm hesitant to go with a pre-tied --then again I think I only look good with a bow tie when I wear a tux. I just can't pull it off in a regular suit and I'm impressed by those who can. Have you ever seen any by Lanvin? I saw a few I liked once at a boutique on the Strip.

I'd worn tuxes on and off since I was a kid, my parents got me one because they liked to dress up for formal parties. As I got older I realized I didn't like the wing collar. I learned all I could about how to wear a traditional tux for my wedding --I can't stand when wedding parties look like a group going to prom instead of a group of adult males. Within the traditional tux ensemble, my preferences are a black waistcoat (or vest: the traditional tux vest has only three buttons and is low cut without a back), pique shirt (no ruffles, laydown collar), a peak-lapel/one-button black coat, black bow tie, white braces (or suspenders; since you never take off a tux coat, you never see them), patent leather shoes. I had one friend go a slightly more casual old-school and have all the groomsmen wear their own coats, he just gave us coordinating neckties (which was a nice touch).

Speaking of suits, I've shifted from belts to braces. Not the clip-on variety, I think they look cheap; it's only a small alteration to add suspender buttons to the inside of a waist and the traditional buttoned-on braces look so much more chic with or without a jacket.

My only issue with shoes like the ones in the first post is they can be slippery as all hell.

Marek

Banned
Dali fucking shoes. With art on the soles that you walk on. What the fuck. So impractical, yet me gusta.

I submit, for this thread

vibram-five-fingers-men-shoes-53.jpg

Big time fashion.

HeartlessNinny

I like Tom Ford. :)

As for pre-tie bows, well, I try to avoid them too, but I don't mind buying them here and there. If nothing else they're nice to have when you need to leave the house in a hurry (I can tie a bow tie pretty fast these days, though).

I have to admit that I haven't worn a tux in years. I'm totally with you, though -- the devil's in the details. If you don't pay attention to what you're doing you definitely look like a lame teenager.

I've been thinking about moving to braces myself, though I wonder if I'm too tall to use regular sized merchandise. Here's a website with some good wares, in any case:

http://www.albertthurston.com/

I agree that the clip ons are to be avoided at all costs. That site has an interesting innovation in that regard: clip on buttons. They look stylish and sturdy so I might give them a go one of these days. It'd be easier than having all your pants tailored.

EDIT: Hey, I just realized -- it might look like all of those pre-ties are Tom Fords. They're not. Three are Garrick Anderson and the red one is a Givenchy.

I did buy three more Tom Fords since I took that pic though. :emb: :D :buttrock:

Last edited:

aria

Former Moderator
I like Tom Ford. :)

As for pre-tie bows, well, I try to avoid them too, but I don't mind buying them here and there. If nothing else they're nice to have when you need to leave the house in a hurry (I can tie a bow tie pretty fast these days, though).

I have to admit that I haven't worn a tux in years. I'm totally with you, though -- the devil's in the details. If you don't pay attention to what you're doing you definitely look like a lame teenager.

I've been thinking about moving to braces myself, though I wonder if I'm too tall to use regular sized merchandise. Here's a website with some good wares, in any case:

http://www.albertthurston.com/

I agree that the clip ons are to be avoided at all costs. That site has an interesting innovation in that regard: clip on buttons. They look stylish and sturdy so I might give them a go one of these days. It'd be easier than having all your pants tailored.

I bought a pair of Albert Thurston boxcloth braces, the felt-like fabric was nice but I think next time I'm going with more traditional materials. Their buttons seem neat.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
this thread is gay as fuck

i'm sticking to the firearms thread

HeartlessNinny

this thread is gay as fuck

i'm sticking to the firearms thread

I know you're kidding around, but a guy I know made fun of me and accused me of being gay when he overheard me and a friend of mine talking about clothes. Made me wonder... Aren't gay men into women's fashion? Men's fashion, by definition, is manly. ;)

HeartlessNinny

I bought a pair of Albert Thurston boxcloth braces, the felt-like fabric was nice but I think next time I'm going with more traditional materials. Their buttons seem neat.

Interesting. I had my eye on the pink boxcloth braces... Might be a bit over the top though.

aria

Former Moderator
Ninny, have you ever checked out Etro? I often just peruse their stores, I've yet to buy anything, but they have really neat stuff with bold patterns (they started as a company making fabrics for the other big designers, which they still do).

Paul Smith is fun for cuff links but I can't really fit into any of their clothes even when I'm thin --they like the lanky shoulders of the generic Euro-male (don't get me started on sizing in Europe, whenever relatives would send me clothing it would never fit--the capper was when I got a shirt stuck around my neck and had to get help taking it off, it was as pathetically funny as it sounds).

I did buy three more Tom Fords since I took that pic though. :emb: :D :buttrock:

Those are serious bucks --I bought one as a groomsman gift for my best man. I have splurged on Tom Ford once: at one of his boutiques I visited his cologne collection and saw one called "Tuscan Leather" --how was I not supposed to try that? I joked it sounded like "Tuscan Raider", which caused the clerk to laugh and out himself as a fellow geek. Still: It smelled like awesome. I decided to wait for another trip to see if I still liked it. I still did so I broke down and paid for several ounces of liquid than I really should have. I later read somewhere that Tuscan Leather also reminds some of the smell of cocaine. Well, huh... Only wear it rarely because it cost so damned much, but with that said it's probably the most potent cologne I've ever purchased--I really only use a half-spray if that. Any more and I go into full-Persian and no one wants to go full-Persian, I want a shot at an Academy Award.

aria

Former Moderator
Interesting. I had my eye on the pink boxcloth braces... Might be a bit over the top though.

My only knock on the boxcloth is you really need to make sure it fits perfect with little adjustment. I end up with little tabs of cloth hanging on the front which, while not bad, don't look as chic as having the metal adjusters higher up. I blame that on buying slightly longer braces, perhaps if I'd gone with standard length it would've been better. I think I'm just being too particular about it.

HeartlessNinny

Etro is awesome. I haven't got any of their stuff myself, but I love their wares for sure. I've been meaning to buy a couple Etro ties -- I've gone a bit nuts on the bows lately and I've been thinking about getting some more good ol' fashioned neck ties.

I like Paul Smith as well. I have your problem and then some, though: I'm 6'5" (and, uh, heavy), so fitting into standard designer wares is totally out of the question for me. Lately I've been thinking a lot about having a smoking jacket made, but I don't know when I'd have an excuse to wear it. Maybe I'll just get a regular jacket made out of velvet... More of a dinner wear kind of thing.

As for the Tom Ford, well, what can I say. Once I bought the first one I couldn't help myself and splurged on some more. And what the fuck, I'll brag a bit: I got a couple Tom Ford scarves last winter, too. It's hard not to feel like a million bucks walking around in one of those, I tell ya.

As for full Persian... Nobody goes full Persian. :lolz:

HeartlessNinny

My only knock on the boxcloth is you really need to make sure it fits perfect with little adjustment. I end up with little tabs of cloth hanging on the front which, while not bad, don't look as chic as having the metal adjusters higher up. I blame that on buying slightly longer braces, perhaps if I'd gone with standard length it would've been better. I think I'm just being too particular about it.

Nonsense, there's no such thing as too particular. This thread stared out with Dali art on shoe soles for fuck's sake.

Anyway I'll keep that in mind. I'm still wondering how well they'd fit me, though... As I said I'm pretty tall, and I have a long torso to boot.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I've been looking into Brogues lately, I think I'll go with Crockett & Jones' Ardens:
1.jpg

The only downside is that leather-soled shoes in this climate are a bit risky, and galoshes are overkill.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Dali fucking shoes. With art on the soles that you walk on. What the fuck. So impractical, yet me gusta.

I submit, for this thread

vibram-five-fingers-men-shoes-53.jpg

Big time fashion.

Love these shoes, they're perfect for running.

Those shoes in the op are absolutely boss too, I love Salvidor Dali. I'm scared to hear how much they cost though.