Viletim's SCART to JAMMA adapter problem

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
Has anyone used viletim's SCART to JAMMA adapter ver. 2.0 on their Egret 2? For the life of me, I cannot get a picture to show using a SNES on the Egret 2 with this adapter. I have tried the different jumper settings on the thing. I have tried 2 different SNES, 2 different SCART cables.
All I get is sound, but no picture. Yet Genesis works on it just fine. The same adapter works perfectly fine with SNES in my Blast City. Anyone have any ideas on what I can try?

Last edited:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
A Euro SCART cable isn't specced for NTSC SNESes. Does your cable have resistors in it or capacitors?

Though I'd think that you'd still get some video, even with the wrong cable.

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
A Euro SCART cable isn't specced for NTSC SNESes. Does your cable have resistors in it or capacitors?

Though I'd think that you'd still get some video, even with the wrong cable.

If this is the case, why this this setup, with the same cable and everything work perfectly on my Blast City? I just can't get any picture on my Egret 2 and I cannot figure out why.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I think there is a jumper on the board. IIRC, I had to remove it to get a picture on my PFX. Check out the viletim topic on shmups.com.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
What's the technical difference between a blast city and egret 2? Different monitors?

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
I think there is a jumper on the board. IIRC, I had to remove it to get a picture on my PFX. Check out the viletim topic on shmups.com.

I have tried it with the jumpers on and off and I still get no picture. I will try and find the topic on shmups.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Isn't an egret 2 monitor only 15khz and 24khz? I seem to recall reading that some form of egret had monitors of that specification...

Then again, I could have sworn that the SNES outputs 15khz RGB from the AV Out.

I guess you could try tracing what components are interfacing between the SCART and JAMMA pins to see if it's an issue with a booster chip in-between or some resistor/capacitor.

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
Isn't an egret 2 monitor only 15khz and 24khz? I seem to recall reading that some form of egret had monitors of that specification...

Then again, I could have sworn that the SNES outputs 15khz RGB from the AV Out.

I guess you could try tracing what components are interfacing between the SCART and JAMMA pins to see if it's an issue with a booster chip in-between or some resistor/capacitor.

Yes, the Egret 2 is a MS9 chassis, which is 15khz and 24khz.
And the SNES does output 15khz RGB out of it's AV out...
I don't understand why it would work in my Blast City and not my Egret 2.

grips03

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I have MS9 chassis in Astro City with same VILETIM adapter. I have used Dreamcast, Saturn, Genesis and all look ok. I have US SNES and Nintendo brand Japan RGB / Scart cable. Want me to try SNES with this setup?

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
I have MS9 chassis in Astro City with same VILETIM adapter. I have used Dreamcast, Saturn, Genesis and all look ok. I have US SNES and Nintendo brand Japan RGB / Scart cable. Want me to try SNES with this setup?

I figured out the problem. I needed to add the power resistor that was included between the 5v and ground. Once I did that, I got a perfect stable picture on my Egret 2. But thanks for the offer.