Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Viletim's SCART to JAMMA adapter problem

  1. #1
    Ghost Of Captain Kidd
    300wins's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    San Jose, California

    Posts
    1,691

    Viletim's SCART to JAMMA adapter problem

    Has anyone used viletim's SCART to JAMMA adapter ver. 2.0 on their Egret 2? For the life of me, I cannot get a picture to show using a SNES on the Egret 2 with this adapter. I have tried the different jumper settings on the thing. I have tried 2 different SNES, 2 different SCART cables.
    All I get is sound, but no picture. Yet Genesis works on it just fine. The same adapter works perfectly fine with SNES in my Blast City. Anyone have any ideas on what I can try?
    Last edited by 300wins; 04-22-2012 at 12:40 AM.

  2. #2
    General Morden's Aide
    DanAdamKOF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dallas (and Houston sometimes)

    Posts
    7,575
    A Euro SCART cable isn't specced for NTSC SNESes. Does your cable have resistors in it or capacitors?

    Though I'd think that you'd still get some video, even with the wrong cable.

  3. #3
    Ghost Of Captain Kidd
    300wins's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    San Jose, California

    Posts
    1,691
    Quote Originally Posted by DanAdamKOF View Post
    A Euro SCART cable isn't specced for NTSC SNESes. Does your cable have resistors in it or capacitors?

    Though I'd think that you'd still get some video, even with the wrong cable.
    If this is the case, why this this setup, with the same cable and everything work perfectly on my Blast City? I just can't get any picture on my Egret 2 and I cannot figure out why.

  4. #4

    a.k.a. Mother Teresa

    Remember: if you have sex in the crushing poverty of third world India, do not use any form of contraception!

    CORY_POOOOOOOOON!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Montréal, Qc, Canada

    Posts
    2,463
    I think there is a jumper on the board. IIRC, I had to remove it to get a picture on my PFX. Check out the viletim topic on shmups.com.

    Quote Originally Posted by awbacon View Post
    I like CIB AES, but that's only because if someone breaks in, I could murder a man with a neo geo game. Hide and pop out...right upside the head with a KOF! I'll even yell something asianesque when I do it, then strike a victory pose and yell VICTOLY

  5. #5
    So Many Posts
    No Time
    For Games.
    Xian Xi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Waipahu, Hawaii

    Posts
    23,704
    What's the technical difference between a blast city and egret 2? Different monitors?

  6. #6
    Ghost Of Captain Kidd
    300wins's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    San Jose, California

    Posts
    1,691
    Quote Originally Posted by Coryoon? View Post
    I think there is a jumper on the board. IIRC, I had to remove it to get a picture on my PFX. Check out the viletim topic on shmups.com.
    I have tried it with the jumpers on and off and I still get no picture. I will try and find the topic on shmups.

  7. #7
    Ghost Of Captain Kidd
    300wins's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    San Jose, California

    Posts
    1,691
    Quote Originally Posted by Xian Xi View Post
    What's the technical difference between a blast city and egret 2? Different monitors?
    Blast City monitor is a tri-sync and Egret 2 is a dual sync.

  8. #8
    Gai's Trainer
    trenog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Toronto, Canada

    Posts
    1,339
    Isn't an egret 2 monitor only 15khz and 24khz? I seem to recall reading that some form of egret had monitors of that specification...

    Then again, I could have sworn that the SNES outputs 15khz RGB from the AV Out.

    I guess you could try tracing what components are interfacing between the SCART and JAMMA pins to see if it's an issue with a booster chip in-between or some resistor/capacitor.

  9. #9
    Ghost Of Captain Kidd
    300wins's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    San Jose, California

    Posts
    1,691
    Quote Originally Posted by trenog View Post
    Isn't an egret 2 monitor only 15khz and 24khz? I seem to recall reading that some form of egret had monitors of that specification...

    Then again, I could have sworn that the SNES outputs 15khz RGB from the AV Out.

    I guess you could try tracing what components are interfacing between the SCART and JAMMA pins to see if it's an issue with a booster chip in-between or some resistor/capacitor.

    Yes, the Egret 2 is a MS9 chassis, which is 15khz and 24khz.
    And the SNES does output 15khz RGB out of it's AV out...
    I don't understand why it would work in my Blast City and not my Egret 2.

  10. #10
    Mr. Big's Thug

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Connecticut

    Posts
    229
    I have MS9 chassis in Astro City with same VILETIM adapter. I have used Dreamcast, Saturn, Genesis and all look ok. I have US SNES and Nintendo brand Japan RGB / Scart cable. Want me to try SNES with this setup?

  11. #11
    Ghost Of Captain Kidd
    300wins's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    San Jose, California

    Posts
    1,691
    Quote Originally Posted by grips03 View Post
    I have MS9 chassis in Astro City with same VILETIM adapter. I have used Dreamcast, Saturn, Genesis and all look ok. I have US SNES and Nintendo brand Japan RGB / Scart cable. Want me to try SNES with this setup?
    I figured out the problem. I needed to add the power resistor that was included between the 5v and ground. Once I did that, I got a perfect stable picture on my Egret 2. But thanks for the offer.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •