Interest check: Scart to BNC adapter cables for RGB monitors

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
While this isn't Neo specific, it can certainly be used with the home console or a MVS rig.

Per this thread in the MarketPlace:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?233191-FS-Female-Scart-to-BNC-adapter-cable

At the request of the TrollBox, I have built some Scart to 4 BNC adapter cables. These can be used with a Sony PVM (if its an RGB model with BNC inputs) JVC Broadcast monitors, NEC XM29 and etc. Not for use with regular CRT computer monitors as 99% of those require both Horizontal and Vertical Sync and will not work with composite sync nor display 15KHz video.

Unless your monitor can handle composite video as sync (some can and some can't), you should make sure your Scart cable(s) is wired to composite sync for best compatibility. Otherwise you would need to install a sync stripper circuit in your scart cable to pull the sync out of the composite video.

Anyways, its female scart to 4 BNC and stereo audio. If you have an appropriate scart cable for your console, you can plug it into this adapter assembly and then the BNC connectors into your monitor and run stereo audio to your stereo or powered speakers. Cable is a total of about 2 foot long.

I sold out of what I had built, but have some more parts on order to build some more.

$25 shipped per cable in the US.

Any interest?

IMG_0386%2520%2528Medium%2529.JPG

IMG_0387%2520%2528Medium%2529.JPG

Last edited:
Do you still have one of these cables for $25 shipped? I am interested as I have a Sony PVM-20M4U monitor. Because I just created this account, I can't PM you. Please send me a PM. Thank you :-)

Or, better yet, since my account privileges are nil (I can't even look at my own profile directly or contact the mods) can you post a response on this thread? I fear that a PM may not even be visible to me.

soundguy77

n00b
broken,

I'm also definitely interested in buying one of these for $25 shipped. My paypal is ready.

Just found this thread through google after learning how amazing retro consoles look through SCART to RGB.

Not sure why you're having trouble selling these. The build quality looks exceptional. Seems to be one of those unique situations where people just aren't aware of how sharp and beautiful their retro consoles can truly look.

Like the above poster, I don't have PM privileges yet, but I'll check back to this thread for your response. I'd like to e-mail you if possible. Thanks.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Hey guys

Sorry about not seeing this earlier.

Currently I am not building any more of these cables as I have a huge back log of cables to build. Existing Scart to BNC, Atari Jaguar Svideo and Jaguar Scart cables.

I will probably not resume building these until later in the year. Maybe November or so.

soundguy77

n00b
Hey guys

Sorry about not seeing this earlier.

Currently I am not building any more of these cables as I have a huge back log of cables to build. Existing Scart to BNC, Atari Jaguar Svideo and Jaguar Scart cables.

I will probably not resume building these until later in the year. Maybe November or so.

Sounds good. Should I check back to this thread in a month or two once you resume building these? I was actually planning on picking up a Sony PVM soon, but I can wait a month or two since you're so backed up.

Thanks again and excellent work on the cables.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Sounds good. Should I check back to this thread in a month or two once you resume building these? I was actually planning on picking up a Sony PVM soon, but I can wait a month or two since you're so backed up.

Thanks again and excellent work on the cables.

You can either post back in this thread or send me a personal message if by that time you have PM privileges.

I got my privileges three days after that last post, but not before trying to cobble together my own cable ;-) I am impatient.
Many SCART diagrams, cut RCA composite cables, and RCA->BNC adapters later, I have a cable that passes signal to my PVM. However, it doesn't work.

The cables coming from my SNES 1 / Genesis 1 are raw sync SCART cables from retro-console-accessories on eBay. I cut a 20-wire male/male scart cable I had and started slowly joining each lead/ground to a corresponding RCA. In the PVM, I see video signal coming in, with the correct color, but it is very obscured by the severe rolling/scrambling I am encountering. It seems like a sync issue. I have to join the two syncs that I *think* are wired correctly with a t-connector into the composite sync on the back of my PVM.

OR if that doesn't work, I'll have to use a VGA sync-stripper cable into a VGA->RGBHV BNC cable and run that into the back of the PVM, with the t-connector.

All very confusing and time consuming because I am sooo damn impatient. :-)

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I got my privileges three days after that last post, but not before trying to cobble together my own cable ;-) I am impatient.
Many SCART diagrams, cut RCA composite cables, and RCA->BNC adapters later, I have a cable that passes signal to my PVM. However, it doesn't work.

The cables coming from my SNES 1 / Genesis 1 are raw sync SCART cables from retro-console-accessories on eBay. I cut a 20-wire male/male scart cable I had and started slowly joining each lead/ground to a corresponding RCA. In the PVM, I see video signal coming in, with the correct color, but it is very obscured by the severe rolling/scrambling I am encountering. It seems like a sync issue. I have to join the two syncs that I *think* are wired correctly with a t-connector into the composite sync on the back of my PVM.

OR if that doesn't work, I'll have to use a VGA sync-stripper cable into a VGA->RGBHV BNC cable and run that into the back of the PVM, with the t-connector.

All very confusing and time consuming because I am sooo damn impatient. :-)

Hmmmm...

Which model PVM and can we see some pics of how this is all arranged?

On the back of you PVM, there should be ONLY 4 BNC connectors to be concerned with. Red, green, blue and Sync. Its a composite sync and there shouldn't be any separate Horizontal or Vertical sync as none of these consoles output H+V sync.

PVM-20M2U
Rear Input Panel: http://www.broadcastbaron.com/picsandpdfs/pvm20m2u2011122d.jpg

I think the issue is that the cables are raw sync (H+V) and not just composite video (CVBS) sync. Maybe I'm confused because everyone misuses the terms on different forums. It is also confusing when SCART diagrams have different names for pins. So I wired my cable for RCA with leads from pinouts in R, G, B, composite video, and "RGB switch / blanking". I left out common ground, audio, and all other pins.

Trying it on my PVM, the screen wildly is out of sync, but I see the opening to Streets of Rage 2 and also Super Mario World in the correct color. So the RGB must be right. I tried the composite video in SYNC input. Barely a change. I tried the "RGB switch" lead. Nothing. So I assume that I need to physically merge the signals with this:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41yU01D2PGL.jpg

If that doesn't work, it could be a matter of weak or impure sync. Then I will put my cable aside and use retro-console-accessories' RGBs cable, which has the LM1881 chipset inside. This should help with sync, I think. I will join it with an adapter to an RGB->BNC
https://hdwise.com/images/D/vga_to_rgbhv_component_cable-04.jpg

And merge the sync signals with the t-connector noted above...
WHew!

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
T connector wont work. I tried that on mine. You need it to be composite sync. Get on an lm1881 or get a synk strike which will let you use the standard cables as it i just a box you plug into that has the lm1881.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
PVM-20M2U
Rear Input Panel: http://www.broadcastbaron.com/picsandpdfs/pvm20m2u2011122d.jpg

I think the issue is that the cables are raw sync (H+V) and not just composite video (CVBS) sync. Maybe I'm confused because everyone misuses the terms on different forums. It is also confusing when SCART diagrams have different names for pins. So I wired my cable for RCA with leads from pinouts in R, G, B, composite video, and "RGB switch / blanking". I left out common ground, audio, and all other pins.

Trying it on my PVM, the screen wildly is out of sync, but I see the opening to Streets of Rage 2 and also Super Mario World in the correct color. So the RGB must be right. I tried the composite video in SYNC input. Barely a change. I tried the "RGB switch" lead. Nothing. So I assume that I need to physically merge the signals with this:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41yU01D2PGL.jpg

If that doesn't work, it could be a matter of weak or impure sync. Then I will put my cable aside and use retro-console-accessories' RGBs cable, which has the LM1881 chipset inside. This should help with sync, I think. I will join it with an adapter to an RGB->BNC
https://hdwise.com/images/D/vga_to_rgbhv_component_cable-04.jpg

And merge the sync signals with the t-connector noted above...
WHew!

When my Sony PVM 1345 was working I managed to get a good sync signal with Composite sync going in via my Neo Geo MV1B so for whatever setup you have, as long as you got that style of sync you'll be fine. So if you got H+V sync then a LM1881 circuit ought to be what you need.

Even though I won't need the t-connector for the first cable, I'll need it for joining the H + V sync on the VGA-BNC cable. I hope the chipset works. I bought a Gonbes GBS-8220 upscaler for a plasma, but my feelings on its performance are mixed. I can assume the PVM will give me the proper experience, albeit waaaay smaller.

When I complete this I'll post some pics and a diagram. Thank you for your feedback, guys. Sorry to sidetrack this thread a bit!

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
You guys are over thinking and making this far more difficult than it needs to be.

First thing: Make sure in the menu on your PVM that it's set to RGB rather than Component. Since those inputs can be used for either video type, make sure RGB is selected otherwise your colors will be all fucked up.

Two: Your PVM should accept either composite sync or composite video as sync. I personally use composite sync when its available, however some consoles (Playstation series) don't offer composite sync on their multi-out av connector. That's when composite video needs to be used. Sometimes you run into cases where the monitor doesn't like the composite sync or composite video signal and you have to run it through a sync cleaner/stripper circuit like the LM1881. For a PVM this shouldn't be necessary most of the time.

Three: Most Euro Scart spec built Scart cables will use composite video as sync. Unless it says otherwise (or you built it), assume it's composite video that's on pin 20 of the Scart connector.

Four: Raw sync is a shit term and I wish Retro console accessories would stop using it as they have confused the fuck out of people with it. When they are referring to Raw Sync they are actually talking about composite sync. End of story.

Five: Don't worry yourself about Horizontal and Vertical sync. I can't think of any game console that outputs them (Atari Jaguar kinda does...but not really). Dreamcast does, but that's for 31KHz VGA stuff and not low res RGB. All these consoles output composite sync and/or have composite video available for the sync.

I really need to see some pics of this cable to determine what's the problem.

Last edited:
I am very familiar with the PVM (I have two) so believe me, I tried every damn setting. It's the cable configuration, either on the console end or PVM end.
I have a better idea, though. When I get the VGA coupler delivered, I will make a video documenting my course of action. Don't worry, it'll be good to watch. ;)

However, I will put it in another thread. I think I've derailed this one enough...

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
VGA coupler??

Wait...clearly I am confused. What in the world are you using one of those for?

If you want to build a scart to BNC cable assembly like what I offer you need:

Female scart socket
http://www.electronicsnmore.com/product_info.php/products_id/1239
Bnc cable terminated with 4 bnc connectors (no need for the kind with 5)
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=10203&cs_id=1020304&p_id=569&seq=1&format=2 (cut in half and use it for 2 cables)
RCA cable of some type that has female RCA jacks
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=666&seq=1&format=2 (cut off the 1/8 inch plug and solder to Scart connector audio pins)

If you build it right the first time, with the right parts, you won't have these kind of issues.

I would have BOUGHT it right the first time, but it wasn't available, eh? ;-)
However, with a mixture of impatience, and the DIY attitude that has served me well all my life, I am learning a lot about the construction of a specific video cable and also how little actual and consistent literature there is building a custom cable. Trial and error for me over complacency.

You'll see, you'll see. I might even knock out the video tonight because you are yourself curious.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I have a sony pvm 2950 and it needs a sync cleaner to work.

Thanks for that info. I assume you have a similar raw/composite sync output from the console?

Well, then. I've shot some video already, but rather than have a video with a non-working setup only, i will wait for the vga coupler to be delivered so I can show both setups. I'd much rather have that than a part I / part 2.

It WORKED! Mfw :buttrock:
It was a matter of using the cable with the sync stripper chipset. My mock cable will work, just need another scart cable for the purposes of the video. I hope it will be more than only for this situation, but also to serve as a primer for people wanting to break into RGB, especially for the PVM.

So please be patient, I said I would get the video out last week, but I really need my tripod serviced. I despise handheld videos. Always just want to do it right.

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Glad to hear you got your Scart to BNC solution sorted out.

Looking forward to any pics or video.