Super MVS Converter vs. CMVS - my situation

I did some research on the boards here, read a lot about the "scaling" issues, etc.

Here's where I stand:

I love Neo and everything about it. I just started my modest collection in the past 2 years, so I have maybe 25 games total between the AES, NGCD, and NGPC.

In all honesty, I play games very little. But, let's face the facts, I don't have the $ or the dedication to get many games in AES format.

So, I have an offer to buy a Super MVS Converter for what seems to be a reasonable price ($130). The cheapest CMVS I've come across is in the $375 shipped range.

It just seems hard to justify the $ for a CMVS, given that I'm not really a big gamer.

For a guy who is in my particular situation, do you guys feel it's better to get the converter?

Or is it possible to hold out for a better price on a CMVS?

Last edited:

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Yeah. It might just be easier to just grind down and build your own cmvs. So far, my current build has been priced @ $215. That's for the 2 slot board, UniBIOS, and Neobitz decoder. Of course, thar does not include a controller.

For me, it's the satisfaction of building it myself.

I have no mechanical, electronic, or handyman skills whatsoever. I literally just used a pair of needle-nose pliers for the first time a couple weeks ago.

I'm a fairly decent-size reseller, yet I won't take in NES consoles because it takes me over an hour to change a pin connector.

Therefore, I don't think building one is an option :)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You can have a CMVS built for cheaper $200-$300 but if you want it to look nice it's gonna be on the higher side. Usually CMVS units that are around $200 are just barebones ones that are usually a side loading MVS board with plastic feet and usually just just stereo and an RGB socket installed on the board to be used with an external video encoder ala Neo scart cable > scart to YUV encoder.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Back when Jojoultimate was building like 2 cmvs per week, that's when the prices were really low. Don't see him around anymore though.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
learn to build your own cmvs

This, or hold on to your money and save for a decent CMVS. The converter shouldn't be an option, IMO. I bought one and I was happy with it for a couple months. All the graphical glitches started pissing me off after a while.. and I hated having to adjust the POT for every freaking game. I eventually sprung for a CMVS.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
you can pickup a super gun, that way you have the option to use different boards and play arcade pcb's

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Back when Jojoultimate was building like 2 cmvs per week, that's when the prices were really low. Don't see him around anymore though.

You could get one for $125 if he flooded the market but you would need to love the color red and don't mind that the power supply was bigger than the CMVS itself.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
learn to build your own cmvs

I know this guy, as he even said himself, DIY isn't an option.

Taking his post at face value, I recommend the MVS Converter. No, it's not the better option, but it's cheaper and despite the flaws, it still allows you to play Neo Geo on the cheap with little fuss and mucking around with electronics.

That's for the 2 slot board, UniBIOS, and Neobitz decoder.

You mean Encoder. RGB is raw video... You have to encode it into NTSC if you want composite/s-video.

Last edited:

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
^what on earth was the point in you bumping a 2 year old thread for a completely worthless post?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
This one doesn't even have a bin Laden decal.