HELLFIRE

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Yes.

Its fairly difficult too.

Well worth the few dollars it typically sells for.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I prefer the PCE variant: HELLFIRE S.

Both are rad, tho.

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
its by far, my favorite Genesis/Mega Drive shooter. i Love this game to this day. At the time and for a long time it was the only game i played on the system.
also features one of my favorite videogames tunes ever.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
classic Toaplan with a killer sound track (Uemura!) I dig it!

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Haven't played that one in a long time, awesome shooter for the genny.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
I love Hellfire, the music is incredibly good. A strange thing about this game is that if you play it on a Megadrive / Genesis 2 console (maybe 3 too) the music will slow right down and sound like crap. This applies to all regions of the game.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Awesome, awesome game!! If you have a Genny, then you NEED to buy this game if you enjoy shooters. Get ready for a difficult game as well.

GAMEFAN

mjs256

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
The PCE version Hellfire S is nice because it has cutscenes and 2-player mode and the Genesis version Hellfire does not. This is strange because the PCE only has one controller port - you need an adapter for the second player - but the Genesis has 2 controller ports built in... go figure :oh_no: A lot of people think the Genesis version is better in gameplay, but for me the PCE version gets the nod for the 2-player support.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
That's the perk of a CD-ROM disc over a normal ROM cart.

Bardoly

n00b
The PCE version Hellfire S is nice because it has cutscenes and 2-player mode and the Genesis version Hellfire does not. This is strange because the PCE only has one controller port - you need an adapter for the second player - but the Genesis has 2 controller ports built in... go figure :oh_no: A lot of people think the Genesis version is better in gameplay, but for me the PCE version gets the nod for the 2-player support.

I totally agree. 2-player support automatically bumps any game up a notch or two in my book. The cutscenes were fine too. I really wish that the PC Engine version had the Hellfire canon (assigned to either the Select or Run button) though.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Obviously it is good.

It's a Toaplan game for fucks sake!

it's on my purchases list priorities too.
That, and Fire Shark.
Already got Twin Hawk and Truxton.

So much Toaplan love on Mega Drive!

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
That's the perk of a CD-ROM disc over a normal ROM cart.

And the tunes are amazing there too.
Unfortunately there is no background scrolling like one the Mega Drive.
That's what makes me prefer visually the MD version over the PCE one.

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
I remember seeing Hellfire when it had just came out and thinking, wow the artwork, and oooo 'hell' in the title....hmmm. sign me up. bought it on the spot.

so hard back then but loved it..still have..

-D-

Zero's Secretary
This game doesn't get enough love, what a great thread! It's one of my favorite Genesis games though, and I play it pretty regularly, come back to it at least every few months or so, and the music gets stuck in my head every time, and that's a damn good thing.

SuperDeadite

Zero's Tailor
The Genesis/MD port of the game is a bit strange. It has some new graphics and the giant laser cannon which didn't exist in the arcade original. Gameplay wise the PCE version is far more faithful to the arcade, but lacks the parallax. Both ports are cheap enough to try both and see which you prefer, but the arcade board is certainly the ideal version if you can.

-D-

Zero's Secretary
The Genesis/MD port of the game is a bit strange. It has some new graphics and the giant laser cannon which didn't exist in the arcade original. Gameplay wise the PCE version is far more faithful to the arcade, but lacks the parallax. Both ports are cheap enough to try both and see which you prefer, but the arcade board is certainly the ideal version if you can.

The Genesis music is so much more crunchy & awesome though....... played both Genesis & Arcade versions quite a lot, and I think the music tips me in the direction of prefering the Genesis version.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I remember playing the shit out of this game on my Genesis back in the day. Such a great game. I'd love to get the arcade board one of these days.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
It's a great game to have in my collection as far as MD/Gen carts go, but it's definitely not one of my Toaplan favorites. Keep in mind I've yet to play the PCB/ arcade ROM or PC-E port. I do love Hori's though, and I love Zero Wing.

Is it fair to call Andro Dunos Visco trying to do Hellfire? I do like Andro Dunos quite a bit.

Bardoly

n00b
It's a great game to have in my collection as far as MD/Gen carts go, but it's definitely not one of my Toaplan favorites. Keep in mind I've yet to play the PCB/ arcade ROM or PC-E port. I do love Hori's though, and I love Zero Wing.

Is it fair to call Andro Dunos Visco trying to do Hellfire? I do like Andro Dunos quite a bit.

If you want to know my opinion of the PC Engine version of Zero wing, read this article that I wrote about it over at Pcenginefx. Great game, just...

yoyo

n00b
Indeed, it is very good from what I remember. I also remember it being pretty damn tough. Certainly better shmups out there and even on the Sega, but it is worth trying out.