So, Xenoblade Chronicles...

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I want to play based on my best friend's playthru of it, he said simply stunning from beginning to end.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Can you elaborate?

If I haven't liked a JRPG since the 32-bit days, am I likely to like this one?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
at first he complained about the battle system, but after about 3 days he said he was all settled in, i would watch his random grind sessions, (which he said were completely unnecessary) and it looked very good to me. He loved the story for the first to the last and it was one of 5 RPGs he has ever done EVERYTHING in. The only thing I heard was he wasnt as blown away as when he played Xenogears, but damn close

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
It is, in my opinion, one of the ten best Wii games ever made.

I've been playing the Eu version for a while and just picked up my US version today.

It's worth it.

It's more 'modern' than 'oldschool' but eminently worth it.

Lost Odyssey, for Xbox 360, is similar in that it is an old school JRPG wearing a new gen JRPG's skin. And that game is, I've long said, a better Final Fantasy game than any since VI.

But Xenoblade Chronicles is great.

Last edited:

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
Is it true that this thing is only available at Gamestop?

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
if it's an rpg, ill pass, not a fan of the genre at all....

elixir

NAM-75 Vet
This game is only worth playing through an emulator. If you don't understand why, watch this in 1080p (and if your PC isn't capable of watching 1080p videos on Youtube, chances are your PC isn't capable of running Xenoblade through an emulator). Actually this video in 480p will look better than the Wii version on a 29 inch CRT, I would know. It's a beautiful game, but really doesn't belong on the Wii to begin with.

I don't really like the combat system in this game, it's automatic, and while there's still a relatively large number of things to do in battle... it's still automatic. I guess most RPGs consist of "press a button over and over", but it really feels like the game's playing itself in battle. It's especially off-putting since I'm used to playing through Tales and other real-time battle systems, typically very engaging. Maybe it will grow on me - I'm not done with the game.

Unfortunately setting skills with the Classic Controller is incredibly tedious as you're not able to move during combat, yet moving and setting skills is entirely possible with the Wii Nunchuk and Wiimote setup. I think that despite this, they intended the game to be played with the Classic Controller, included in the European-only limited edition of the game.

The dubbing, which I'm hoping hasn't been changed for the American release, is surprisingly good as well. The British dubbing is a really refreshing change from the American dubbing which primarily consists of rehashing the same voice actors to the point where people are practically begging publishers to keep Japanese voices in localizations. Also, I can confirm Japanese voices are included in this localization (I heard The Last Story doesn't, though).

if it's an rpg, ill pass, not a fan of the genre at all....

Then why post? Like the forum needs more dead-end posts like this.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I read a review that said the combat gets very boring and is constantly interrupted by some character that predicts the future during battles. Despite this they thought the game was really good. I'd rather try The Last Story if I were to ever go back to JRPGs. The combat for that looks really fun.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
I just got into RPG's about 2 years ago. I always HATED them....but Dragon Quest IX completely converted me. Anyway, I'd like to have Xenoblade, but won't rush right out to get it. I will, however, be at the stores bright and early to buy The Last Story.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Having imported both Xenoblade and The Last Story, Xenoblade is the must-own title of the 2. Soundtrack is outstanding and I didn't have any problems with the fighting system. I think the system expects you to switch characters when things start getting repetitive. The only problem I had with the game is that locating the questgivers can be painful even if you know where they are supposed to be, especially in some of the oversized city zones.

Edit: I liked the future prediction mechanic but I thought it was annoying (in the rare case) that after the prediction occurs, aggro can shift based on actions of non-player-controlled characters thus rendering the prediction wrong. So the processor can't incorporate the upcoming actions of its own AI to ensure the accuracy of the prediction.

The Last Story is interesting, but not a traditional RPG. They dumb down the fighting system to the point where you're completely focused on tactical decision-making rather than attacking, which works to a certain extent. I think the game's alright if you're looking for something unusual, but unlike Xenoblade it's not comparable to the greatest RPGs ever made.

Last edited:

Grandmaster

Kula's Candy
i'm very interested to play xenoblade. i pre-order from nintendo on 19th of dec. 2011, which if i remember correctly that's the first day they had it available to pre order. most games i purposely avoid any information or gameplay videos, preferring to see a few still shots and leaving it at that, but the a lot of the talk i hear is positive, so i feel good about getting this. it's been a long long time since i've played a straight up rpg. also happy i can buy direct from nintendo. i called my local gamestop to ask if they had this available and as of friday the 6th, they did. i almost thought about going out and getting a copy to play right away, but then i'd set foot into a gamestop and i can't do that. i simply can't shop there anymore. why would i need two copies? i dont know. sometimes if it's a game i really like, i would enjoy having a collector or display copy and a copy i can actually play. i'm just going to be patient and wait for my nintendo order to be delivered. i received email on friday it has been shipped, so i expect it next week and probably with an artbook i'm guessing because i read it might come with one for those who pre order.

Kaioh

Sakura's Bank Manager
Picked up my copy yesterday and have put around 8 hours total into it. So far, I'm enjoying it a lot! The game reminds me of Final Fantasy XII a bit. Mainly the battle system. However, it doesn't feel as tedious as FF12 was to me.

The character designs remind me of Vagrant Story. It just sucks that this game is on a Standard Def system... Although, the graphics don't look too bad on my 32" LCD TV using component cables. The soundtrack is amazing!

I can already tell this will be one of my favorite games on Wii. Definitely recommend this to JRPG fans.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
If you've ever played a JRPG and liked it, you should get Xenoblade Chronicles. It does away with a lot of the points of criticism some use against other JRPG's. Technically it's years behind something like Final Fantasy XIII, but it runs and plays really well, the main character isn't a crybaby, and the story is sufficiently epic, without taking too much attention away from exploring and levelling up.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Dumb question maybe, but is this related to Xenogears or Xenosaga? Ive never played any of those.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Picked up my copy yesterday and have put around 8 hours total into it. So far, I'm enjoying it a lot! The game reminds me of Final Fantasy XII a bit. Mainly the battle system. However, it doesn't feel as tedious as FF12 was to me.

The character designs remind me of Vagrant Story. It just sucks that this game is on a Standard Def system... Although, the graphics don't look too bad on my 32" LCD TV using component cables. The soundtrack is amazing!

I can already tell this will be one of my favorite games on Wii. Definitely recommend this to JRPG fans.

Is it dual language like the european release ? I mean, can you select japanese voice with english substitles ?

elixir

NAM-75 Vet
Dumb question maybe, but is this related to Xenogears or Xenosaga? Ive never played any of those.

Probably has something to do with this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetsuya_Takahashi

Xenogears (1998): Director, Scenario Writer
Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht (2002): Director, Scenario Writer
Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Böse (2004): Original Author
Xenosaga: Pied Piper (2004): Story Writer
Xenosaga I & II (2006): Scenario Writer
Xenosaga Episode III: Also sprach Zarathustra (2006): Author, Music Coordinator, Supervisor of Scenario and Database
Xenoblade Chronicles (2010): Concept, Executive Director, Scenario Writer

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Started playing xenoblade last night, I'm liking it so far. Battle system moves pretty quick and I like the look of the game, I'm playing it on a CRT and interlaced it looks like a top end ps2 game. Good stuff, I also play with jp on as I didn't care for the English dialog...

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
played some more tonight, mainly sidequests ans grinding. seemed to move brisk. i would recommend it TAP if you like JRPGs :D

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
I finally started this tonight.

Definitely reminds me of a good PS1 era RPG. Got some serious nostalgia factor going on here, but the game itself seems interesting and fresh. I haven't really done anything yet but I think I'm gonna enjoy this.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
That's exactly what Xenoblade does so well. Gives you a PS1 RPG-like feeling but makes the gameplay fresh and shit. And the main protagonist doesn't whine.