Consolized inside AES shell: questions

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hey guys, I'm wondering if I'm capable of doing my own consolized.
I'm not sure if I'm up to this task but a question that is bugging my head.

I saw some time ago a guy that did the consolization into the AES shell and that's my goal. The picture I saw the guy managed to fit MVS cartridges inside the AES shell and keep that flap thing to avoid dust?
How can you do it?

And where can I buy just any small psu fanless that is capable of powering the MVS and could fit inside the AES shell?

Mike26

McWow,
um i dont think that was an aes he used, if i recall it was a neo geo top loader cd unit case. But i could be thinking of something else entirely.

If you are looking for a power supply that will fit in the case and can supply the voltages you need you might want to look into the picopsu made for powering mini itx small form factor pc builds. Offers all the power connectors you need, and comes in 3 variants: 80 watt, 90 watt, and a 150 watt

http://compare.ebay.com/like/250541781483?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y

Other than that i really cant be of any help to you since ive never done a consolization of any sort before.

Good luck

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I personally wouldn't try to shove it inside an AES shell as that requires some advanced modding skills. Though if you feel up to it, by all means give it a try.

As far as a PSU goes, just 5v mod the board (I assume a MV1C board?) then use a small 5v 2amp wallwart style psu and you are good to go.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'd keep the PSU on the outside of the unit. Internal PSUs usually give off interference.

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hey Xian Xi, have you ever used this PicoPSU, it sounds like the best option but I never heard about interference before. Since you're much more experienced then me, do you think a eletrostatic bag could hold the interference from the PSU?

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
I already have everything. I have the jojo ultimate supergun, so all I have to do is take it apart and use it.
I want to keep this the most cheap as possible, I don't have much money to expend at the moment.
BTW, I've talked with Shadow (the creator of the Omega kit) and he said it won't fit for the AES shell.

grips03

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
ok, yeah I was thinking you might be able to grab one of his shells.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The Omega DIY kit comes with the Omega shell.

I make so many CMVS systems and so Does Jeff Kurtz and we both have the Omega.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
he said it won't fit for the AES shell.

12yIC.jpg

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
That's exactly what I'm going to do. I've just checked the shell and with a dremel I might be able to fit the mvs cartridge. I want to do the less modification possible to my AES shell.

Where do you guys get those colored reset buttons? One of my AES shells is missing the power and reset button, is there a place to get them?

Coryoon, are you using the omega kit?
Anyway, it costs almost 300 for the kit and all I need is the PSU since I already have the jojoultimate supergun.

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
Great, thank you.

I hope there's a place with the power front switch, I mean just the plastic.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Start with a different project box first, because i can already tell that you would ruin the aes shell in your first attempt. Dremel is a terrible idea. It rotates much too fast and can easily melt the abs plastic. Especially when trying to make the cart slot wider in order to fit a mvs cart in there.

The coloured reset button is the least of your problems, really.

Last edited:
Am i the only one that is against this surely you can find another project box for it and sell the aes case to someone that could do with a replacement

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Yeah, I'm with Supergoose here, do NOT attempt a CMVS-in-a-AES-shell consolization procedure if you aren't used to working with plastic and physical assembly, ESPECIALLY not when you have never even done a CMVS at all. You are guaranteed to ruin the AES shell, no matter how careful you are. Disaster WILL occur! AES shells are not easy to come by, leave it to the pros Fandagos. Shame on the rest of you for effectively giving him the A-Okay on this.

The best solution would be to get the Omega CMVS kit, it requires the least amount of modding. Even just creating a CMVS with the board's original plastic shell can be tricky because it requires dremeling/drilling.

(Hopefully) some of us here understand what it's like to have a lack of money, but please don't let that be an excuse to risk damaging authentic and hard to find SNK hardware. Perhaps try and sell or trade off the Jojo supergun and get a modest CMVS system. Maybe somebody here could cut you a deal, considering what you are planning to do...

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I agree. Don't try this as your first or even second attempt. For the record, the last guy who did it wrote that he filed the plastic down. The doors do give enough clearance for an MVS cart (I've tested it by putting one in from the inside) but it's a bit of a tight fit. The doors also look a little funny after the modification is done. I definitely would practice filing some similar plastic before going to town on an AES.

Anyway, the whole project requires a lot of know-how. If I did it, I would keep the power supply outside and leave everything as much like a stock AES as possible. I'd also wait until the mod to add a memory card is finished by DavidG, who is doing awesome work.

Last edited:

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
imho, internal power supplies are possible but only if you spend money on a MeanWell or similar quality one. As a sidenote, Siemens is the best for my taste but are very high priced (industrial self-recoverable ones I used for my ownAES are behind the 100eur barrier for the main public).

I myself made two cmvs with internal psu and for the first one it became a pain in the @ss to avoid interferences until I realized what means quality shielded wiring. Very time consuming task.

I wouldn't do that on a 1st try with an AES shell... in Spain there's a popular phrase that barely translates to: experiments are to be made only with water (if something has value, don't fuck it)

Last edited:

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I'm not that noob. I did lots of mods with plastic while moding old consoles with AV output. I did it with Colecovision, Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Odyssey. The size you need to "open" in the AES shell is minimum. It's not even half a centimeter.
About the PSU, since the PICO is so small it would be possible to mount it in a small plastic hard box, sold here by a company named Patola. And just put the wires needed inside the AES shell. Like the ones going for the power switch and the ones going into the molex plug that I'm going to remove from the supergun.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Why use a pico psu?

Thats completely unnecessary. Just use a regular 5v 2amp or better wallwart style psu. Far, far less expensive and less likely to cause you interference. You don't need 12v or anything else the pico provides. Besides, even with the Pico you are still going to have a large 12v external brick to power it.

Just pick up a decent 5v power supply. Probably $10 or less.

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
Yeah but that would need a lot of rewiring in the supergun, I'm going to do some wire work but I'm trying to keep it minimum to not ruin anything. The electric part is where I fail.

I was looking to where the power wires go and this is the scheme I wrote in a paper:
Molex: +5v (Yellow) - GND (Black) - GND (Black²) - +12v Red

+5v -> Jamma
GND -> splits -> Control Port 1 / Control Port 2 / Jamma / Video Encoder
GND² -> Jamma
+12v -> switch on/off -> splits -> controller 1 / LED / Controller 2 / Jamma / Video Encoder

As for my understanding, that's not the greatest, the 5v would give me +5V only, I would need a second PSU for the +12v work. Since the PICO can do both it seemed better for me.
I'm not sure how the 5v would work, I would tape in it the yellow and both blacks but I would have to leave the +12v.
About interference, I was thinking about using electrostatic bag or a small plastic box, like the telephone ones, to enclose but even enclosed leaving it inside the AES shell.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I would just use a 5v AES AC adapter. Looks OEM then.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yeah but that would need a lot of rewiring in the supergun, I'm going to do some wire work but I'm trying to keep it minimum to not ruin anything. The electric part is where I fail.

I was looking to where the power wires go and this is the scheme I wrote in a paper:
Molex: +5v (Yellow) - GND (Black) - GND (Black²) - +12v Red

+5v -> Jamma
GND -> splits -> Control Port 1 / Control Port 2 / Jamma / Video Encoder
GND² -> Jamma
+12v -> switch on/off -> splits -> controller 1 / LED / Controller 2 / Jamma / Video Encoder

As for my understanding, that's not the greatest, the 5v would give me +5V only, I would need a second PSU for the +12v work. Since the PICO can do both it seemed better for me.
I'm not sure how the 5v would work, I would tape in it the yellow and both blacks but I would have to leave the +12v.
About interference, I was thinking about using electrostatic bag or a small plastic box, like the telephone ones, to enclose but even enclosed leaving it inside the AES shell.

You don't need +12v for any 1 slot board if you are consolizing it. You can run the board with just +5v only.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
More reason to start out with a more basic system. Don't rush it.

You are aware that you would have to trim or remove the heatsink on the mv-1c?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
More reason to start out with a more basic system. Don't rush it.

You are aware that you would have to trim or remove the heatsink on the mv-1c?

I just pulled it and put a small fan on there.