Playstation 4 / Orbis discussion and speculation

Stuart989

Sexless Insecure troglodyte, Has an awesome pc rig
I have been hearing about broken consoles, shoddy online, poor frame rates in a not very demanding game like COD ghosts, blurry graphics in BF4 and weak exclusives that no one cares about. What an awesome launch sony! You made a low-end PC and you still fumbled. The other low-end PC a.k.a XBOX One is going to come out swinging with better features and exclusives.

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
I have been hearing about broken consoles, shoddy online, poor frame rates in a not very demanding game like COD ghosts, blurry graphics in BF4 and weak exclusives that no one cares about. What an awesome launch sony! You made a low-end PC and you still fumbled. The other low-end PC a.k.a XBOX One is going to come out swinging with better features and exclusives.
And it's still going to be a piece of shit, just a different flavor of shit.

I'm not even gonna think about touching these new consoles for at least 2 years to give them time to build up decent libraries. The first year will be dominated by lazy cross-gen ports that are just PS3/360 games with better resolution and textures. MGSV and Guilty Gear Xrd will be on current-gen, so I don't need to worry about those.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member

I remember folks said the same thing about the 360

Then the red ring of death thing happened......

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
And it's still going to be a piece of shit, just a different flavor of shit.

I'm not even gonna think about touching these new consoles for at least 2 years to give them time to build up decent libraries. The first year will be dominated by lazy cross-gen ports that are just PS3/360 games with better resolution and textures. MGSV and Guilty Gear Xrd will be on current-gen, so I don't need to worry about those.
Is Phantom Pain going to be on PS3 too, or just Ground Zeroes? I've only heard about Ground Zeroes.

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain will both be on all four consoles, but GZ isn't getting a physical release for next-gen. I suspect they may bundle it with Phantom Pain for the new systems, though.

GZ is also only going to be $30, because it's a short prologue chapter akin to Tanker or Virtuous Mission (though it will probably be longer than those).

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain will both be on all four consoles,
Good. Then I can wait a year or two or three to go next gen. It's been 14 years since there has been a console worth being an early adopter of.

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
Amen to that. The N64 was the last console I felt was truly worth having at launch, and that was with a two-game library (though Mario Kart 64 came soon after).

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yeah, if you can wait, I'm sure there are benefits on both platforms. These first few million consoles will do wonders of their manufacturing QA process.

I still think the fact that these are just consolized PC's, there is not going to be much of a point of owning one over a gaming PC.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The Japanese PS2 was the only console I'm glad to grab on Day 1. It was the only DVD player at the time to ignore region lockout. Best of all it still works to this day.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Bump, just looking at the release schedule for early next year.

Don't Starve: Console Edition, January 7th
The Lego Movie Videogame, February 1st
Thief, February 25th
DriveClub, March 3rd
inFamous: Second Son, March 21st
MLB 14: The Show, April 1st
Lego The Hobbit, April 8th

Of course this list is for retail games only; I've no idea what the release schedule is for upcoming PSN and indie games.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
When does Watch Dogs drop?

Ah well, only game I'm hyped for in early 2014 is Dark Souls 2.

I'm going to take off some work for that beast.

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
Don't Starve isn't a retail game. (It's also artsy hipster shit you can safely ignore.)

Watch Dogs got delayed to Q2 of next year.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I was surprised that they delayed Watch_Dogs. They were pimping the shit out of it at the New York Comic Con this year. Had a whole theater room that was boxed off and they wouldn't let anybody tape the gameplay footage. Five bucks they released it online after they delayed the game to keep the hype from dying down. The game still looks awesome and if a couple of months can help make it a better game then I'm all up for it. Better having it late then coming out now and not as good. (Same goes with Stick of Truth, the game looks hilarious.)

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
I was surprised that they delayed Watch_Dogs. They were pimping the shit out of it at the New York Comic Con this year. Had a whole theater room that was boxed off and they wouldn't let anybody tape the gameplay footage. Five bucks they released it online after they delayed the game to keep the hype from dying down. The game still looks awesome and if a couple of months can help make it a better game then I'm all up for it. Better having it late then coming out now and not as good. (Same goes with Stick of Truth, the game looks hilarious.)

I think it was delayed so that it wouldn't clash with AssCreed's sales. It's also a good way to start their next fiscal year.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I still think the fact that these are just consolized PC's, there is not going to be much of a point of owning one over a gaming PC.

The point of owning one is getting to play games that will never be released on the PC

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You think that's a literal statement? I was more pointing out the lack of next gen content, and the mass of PC games that are flooding the PSN store.

Sure there's stuff like Killzone and.....? Eventually we'll see Uncharted, Infamous, and a God of War game. Those don't really have the pull of something like Zelda. Uncharted is the only one that's really appealing.

Yeah there are console exclusives. But there's not that many, especially right now. Plus, more and more dev's are using tools like Unity which compiles to multiple platforms.