Anyone here collect toys/Action Figures?

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
You've gotta see these. Medicom is making a series of small Nintendo figures that resemble the artwork from all the instruction manuals.

ultradetailcollection.jpg

Those are nice.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Finally completed the Mattycollector Voltron (pilots are actually inside each lion).

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
How much did that set you back? I heard the lions were expensive.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
TO the O.P.: when you mention Sideshow are you primarily refering to the entry level side (In house 1:6th), midline (distributed 1:6th like Hot Toys & mezco, Sideshow premium format & LSB's, etc) or high end (lifesize/1:1 scale pieces, LSF figures, fine art pieces, etc).

I have collected product from companies such as Master Replicas, Sideshow & others.
Sideshow has become a mess of sorts though. Their size, ego, greed, Lack of thorough quality control and the whole China factor have resulted in allot of sub par to piss poor product over the last few years. The only thing worse has been the customer service that has followed, which has been even worse.

Sorry Orpheus, just getting back to this thread after major traveling. I am talking about their Hot Toys 1/6th line and replica pieces.

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
Those sculpts kind of suck.

You think so? For being based on the old artwork from the NES games, and being a sub-$10 figure, I don't know what more you could want out of it.

legend-of-zelda-nes.jpg

ultradetaillinkold.jpg

Last edited:

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
How much did that set you back? I heard the lions were expensive.

I was able to get the first four lions and pilots at the Mattycollector cost. The Black Lion was the most expensive and had to pay a little over 100 with shipping. The mail order Sven was around $30.00 before the prices went through the roof. I can honestly say that Mattycollector is the absolute worst when it comes to online sales, customer service, and stock. The website will lock up on you on a release day and they only release a few for general purchases. Those usually end up on ebay as people usually buy 6 at a time for flipping. Some people are pissed off at the design of the completed 23" Voltron, but I'm happy with the combined form. I've got a Y&K (GB36) which I'm happy with and this one really goes well with that model. I can't see myself getting the 2005/or Anniversary version, but I would like a Shogun version if the price is right.

The Blazing Sword Voltron that was released at ComicCon and Mattycollector is a nice little model as well.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
You think so? For being based on the old artwork from the NES games, and being a sub-$10 figure, I don't know what more you could want out of it.

Yeah, due to the price, that's fair enough. But just for example, Link looks either r-tard or drunk, mainly because of the mouth but also because of the way the eyes are painted.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Yeah, due to the price, that's fair enough. But just for example, Link looks either r-tard or drunk, mainly because of the mouth but also because of the way the eyes are painted.

He does have that "Duh! What am I thinking?!!" kind of expression on his face. :tickled:

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
StealthLurker, you have a wicked Macross collection there. I love that VT-1 in the box. Where's your VE-1?

Oops, never mind. I just noticed it is a VF-1D training valkyrie. Still very cool and rare.

Last edited:

Anselm

Camel Slug
Jetfire.jpg

Only action figure I own from my childhood. Got it when I was about 10. This is a file photo, because this post isn't worth digging through a closet full of boxes, but it's in the same condition (except I cut the the secret stat card off the back of the box).

I had almost every transformer made during that era, and I kept them all in the original packaging when I wasn't playing with them. Thanks to my anal retentive nature, my parents slowly bled them from me each year for my stepbrothers birthday and christmas gifts, since he was 8 years younger than me. It was hard to mount a argument to stop them at 16, without feeling like a complete idiot for complaining about action figures at 16. When the only thing I had left was jetfire, I drew a line in the sand.

~Anselm~

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
the old Jetfire was magical, as were the Valkyries. But now it's kind of meh. I wonder if kids would flip for these the way they used to. Maybe these toys lack the media marketing of a fully funded current cartoon show.

Anselm

Camel Slug
the old Jetfire was magical, as were the Valkyries. But now it's kind of meh. I wonder if kids would flip for these the way they used to. Maybe these toys lack the media marketing of a fully funded current cartoon show.

It was a different time. Video games weren't as prevalent, and with no internet, on demand service, or even cable tv for some, Saturday cartoons was all you had.

~Anselm~

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
StealthLurker, you have a wicked Macross collection there. I love that VT-1 in the box. Where's your VE-1?

Oops, never mind. I just noticed it is a VF-1D training valkyrie. Still very cool and rare.

Back when I was actively collecting these I never got a chance to pick up a reasonably priced original 80s Takatoku Super Ostrich or Elintseeker unfortunately. However I do have the VT-1 and VE-1 Yamato valkyries (2 of each actually).

That VF-1D in the box is a bit deceptive. There never was an official Takatoku 1/55 scale VF-1D made. That's a custom made job. The box was also made to look and have the texture of an original Takatoku Toys box. I also had a custom VF-1D made from a Bandai HCM valkyrie. I had these done before Yamato cranked out an official VF-1D toy (got 2 of those too).

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Jetfire.jpg

Only action figure I own from my childhood. Got it when I was about 10. This is a file photo, because this post isn't worth digging through a closet full of boxes, but it's in the same condition (except I cut the the secret stat card off the back of the box).

I had almost every transformer made during that era, and I kept them all in the original packaging when I wasn't playing with them. Thanks to my anal retentive nature, my parents slowly bled them from me each year for my stepbrothers birthday and christmas gifts, since he was 8 years younger than me. It was hard to mount a argument to stop them at 16, without feeling like a complete idiot for complaining about action figures at 16. When the only thing I had left was jetfire, I drew a line in the sand.

~Anselm~

That's amazing condition. No yellowing, box in great shape, etc. You managed to not break any clips on the armor too?

I've got zero toys left from childhood. Whenever I got bored with something as a kid, I ended up trading it for a new interest.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Jetfire.jpg

~Anselm~

My favorite transformer as a kid, next to soundwave. Except my parents never bought me soundwave.

This thing was super well constructed and as a kid I couldn't believe that it actually had working spring loaded (and metal) landing gear. I miss this toy badly.

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
Jetfire.jpg

~Anselm~

That transformer brings back lots of memories. I had some of my old transformer figures still in good condition just a few years ago, but I ended up giving them to my younger cousins. They were basically the last of my childhood possessions.

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
Back when I was actively collecting these I never got a chance to pick up a reasonably priced original 80s Takatoku Super Ostrich or Elintseeker unfortunately. However I do have the VT-1 and VE-1 Yamato valkyries (2 of each actually).

That VF-1D in the box is a bit deceptive. There never was an official Takatoku 1/55 scale VF-1D made. That's a custom made job. The box was also made to look and have the texture of an original Takatoku Toys box. I also had a custom VF-1D made from a Bandai HCM valkyrie. I had these done before Yamato cranked out an official VF-1D toy (got 2 of those too).

That is freakin' awesome. I had no idea that your VF-1D was custom made. How on earth did you recreate the box as well?! Well done lad. Yeah, I was thinking of collecting those Takatoku Valks years ago but realized that I would need very deep pockets to do so. At least I once owned the VF-1S Strike Valkyrie with armor cannon like those two that you have. I've since sold it which I regret now :(. Right now I have most of the re-released Bandai Valks with the exception of the Myria and Max. I might have to remedy that one day... So since you live on the west coast it must be pretty easy for you to jump the pond over to Japan to get those huh? I'm jealous haha. Anyway, here's my small collection. I forgot to include all my soundtrack cds in the photo. Oh well.

8131944902_9f8ce43d2a_b.jpg

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
That is freakin' awesome. I had no idea that your VF-1D was custom made. How on earth did you recreate the box as well?! Well done lad. Yeah, I was thinking of collecting those Takatoku Valks years ago but realized that I would need very deep pockets to do so. At least I once owned the VF-1S Strike Valkyrie with armor cannon like those two that you have. I've since sold it which I regret now :(. Right now I have most of the re-released Bandai Valks with the exception of the Myria and Max. I might have to remedy that one day... So since you live on the west coast it must be pretty easy for you to jump the pond over to Japan to get those huh? I'm jealous haha. Anyway, here's my small collection. I forgot to include all my soundtrack cds in the photo. Oh well.

8131944902_9f8ce43d2a_b.jpg

That's a really nice classic bandai re-issue set there. Would have been my dream back in the day. I never had a Taka/Bandai 1/55 as a kid. I loved robot stuff back then, but I only had about 10 or so of those small, cheap, all plastic knock-offs (if you recall the "Convertors" blister card "transformer" type toys of the 80s).

Ah those Robotech DVDs! Nice! The release of those DVDs was responsible for starting my Macross and robot toy collecting phase.

Pretty much everything I have was ordered online. From Hobby Link Japan, Mandarake to BigBadToyStore and Toys n Joys. The ironic thing though is that I've never been to the "legendary" Frank n' Sons here in Southern California.

As much as I love the detail and articulation of Yamatos and some of the other lines.... there something classic about the Taka/Bandai molds. Some of my Bandai re-issue collection below. I stocked up Super Valkyries so that all the 1/55 variations could get armored up.

P1010003.jpg

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
You sir are in another dimension haha. I am humbled by your elite collection. I hope you have all of that goodness insured! I wish I had the moola to get multiple armor sets for my valks. That's one thing Bandai should have done was to make a separate strike armor pack so you wouldn't need to buy a dozen VF-1S super packs. Kind of like the Masterpiece armor set. I wholeheartedly agree that there's just something special about the originals vs the newer articulated toys. Yup, we're definitely on the same page.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Sweet Robotech/Macross toys you guys! I still have a slobbered-on incomplete Roy Focker Valkyrie (the model that doesn't transform). My brother sold his Invid, Cyclone, and SDF1 years ago though. Here are some of what I currently have on display:

8155829145_3ea253684b_z.jpg

8155828927_cf0a2fbbdd_z.jpg

8155827991_16c9d1ee41_z.jpg

8155827657_cbe69c4a58_z.jpg

8155869118_b602fe9f63_z.jpg

8155861812_32d2e188f4_z.jpg

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
Nice stuff. I saw Boba Fett in there and a Giger Alien. What are those two figures in the last photo? They're cool.