Anyone here collect toys/Action Figures?

I would totally dig the larger Star Wars lego sets. When one of my close relatives died, someone bought me a couple of the earlier sets (say 12 years ago). My family members spent the better part of a week sitting around talking and putting them together. It's a pretty good memory.

These days I buy the small ones for my son but he's not quite at the point where he enjoys them properly. We put them together and then they get demolished and parted out. I'm looking forward to being able to buy him the good ones, once he's able to appreciate keeping them in one piece.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
If I had a couple hundred dollars I had to just get rid of Brewster's Millions-style, I would want to buy this:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=SSC11119&mode=retail&picture=out

SSC11119.jpg

SSC11119.jpg

That Snake-Eyes looks psycho. The only problem with it other than the excessive (for me) price, is that at 12 inches, a toy ceases to be an action figure and instead becomes a doll. Especially if it has cloth clothes. As cool as it looks, I don't think I am prepared to turn that corner.

Then there's this:

SSC11097.jpg

SSC11097.jpg

That is nice... and it's a statue. So I can avoid that whole doll stigma thing. But Blimey Charlie is it expensive. $350?!! Who is spending that kind of money on GI Joes? I mean, okay, it's almost 2 feet tall, but come on. I guess two feet tall is probably the maximum size they could produce a Baroness and not have fanboys try to fuck it.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
i spent a couple hundred on my Bruce Lee Enter The Dragon Figure A by Enterbay a few years back

i'm not a collector (of anything) but i had some extra money at the time and Bruce is my inspiration so i splurged a bit

just did a quick ebay search and it's got like a 500-600 dollar price tag on it now

but as i said i'm not a collector and that guy has been sitting out of the box since day one constantly getting switched into different poses

i've also accidentally knocked him over a few times too :tickled:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I used to up until the end of High School, then it became a space issue, and also a matter of I realized there were hundreds of dollars sitting on my shelves doing nothing. They're in boxes, and I hope to sell them at some point

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
then it became a space issue, and also a matter of I realized there were hundreds of dollars sitting on my shelves doing nothing. They're in boxes, and I hope to sell them at some point
Yeah, that's what keeps me from being an actual "collector" of stuff like this. I don't want to buy anything only to immediately have to put it in storage or something, and my space to have stuff like that out is pretty limited. Like you, I have stuff from earlier years in boxes I'd like to sell if I wasn't so lazy about stuff like that.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I kinda do. It's a mix of old stuff from when I was little, to random new things that look cool. I don't keep them in their boxes though, that's just silly.

Transformers, Mega Man figures, Centurions, Z-Bots, Monster in My Pocket, old Mario PVCs, Tron figures, Microman figures, Dragon Quest VIII Play Arts figs, a couple Figmas...

I wish I had some kind of cool display for them all.

I haven't bought a figure in a long time, but I did pre-order this recently:

6755871633_c74b33fee4_z.jpg

0_0! OMG that Samus looks amazing! I don't really collect anymore, but i think this might be the exception. The last time I bought a figure was the PlayArts Kai Adam Jensen, but this...just wow!

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
0_0! OMG that Samus looks amazing! I don't really collect anymore, but i think this might be the exception. The last time I bought a figure was the PlayArts Kai Adam Jensen, but this...just wow!

The same company is coming out with a Link figure sometime in the future too. Looks pretty cool!

30.jpg

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
The same company is coming out with a Link figure sometime in the future too. Looks pretty cool!

30.jpg

Nice! Thanks for the heads up on this Zenimus, I figured Revoltech, I wouldn't have guessed Figma. The last time I saw Figma, they were all high school girl characters from god-only-knows what license, so it's nice to see stuff like this from them. They're really bang on with the face and hair on this Link!

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Action figures - only sort of. I've got a lot of Revoltech stuff - Evangelion, ZOE, Macross, Gunbuster - stuff like that. I have a big collection of 80's and early 90's TMNT toys, but I haven't added to the collection in a looong time.

Toys - Hells yes. I have a lot of "designer" toys from companies like Kidrobot, tokidoki, DYZplastic / Dead Zebra, Kubrick, and Tokyo Plastic.

Nendoroid - the people who make the Samus and Link figures - have really stepped it up. They used to make shitty figures of anime and manga girls. Now they're actually getting cool licenses and giving their stuff a good build. But their prices have doubled because of it.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
That poseable metroid is pretty sick. I just pre-ordered it and the samus statue.

10174269a.jpg

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
If I had a couple hundred dollars I had to just get rid of Brewster's Millions-style, I would want to buy this:

SSC11119.jpg

That Snake-Eyes looks psycho. The only problem with it other than the excessive (for me) price, is that at 12 inches, a toy ceases to be an action figure and instead becomes a doll. Especially if it has cloth clothes. As cool as it looks, I don't think I am prepared to turn that corner.

Then there's this:

SSC11097.jpg

That is nice... and it's a statue. So I can avoid that whole doll stigma thing. But Blimey Charlie is it expensive. $350?!! Who is spending that kind of money on GI Joes? I mean, okay, it's almost 2 feet tall, but come on. I guess two feet tall is probably the maximum size they could produce a Baroness and not have fanboys try to fuck it.

Don't bother with that snake eyes. Hot Toys & Enterbay are the leaders when it comes to 12" and neither has the Joe license so I would stay away.You should see the Snake Eyes 1:4 scale PF they that Sideshow is working on, that's what I would hold out for.

In regards to the pricing: Meh, it is what it is man. As the saying goes to those who bitch about such things on N-G.com: "you do know which forum your posting this on, right?".

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I collect 80's toys. I also have some toys from the 70's like Star Wars and Shogun Warriors. I started collecting in the early 90's.

What do you have for Shoguns/Jumbo Machinders? Its the only real toy I collect besides a misc. game toy here and there. Love to see pics of your collection!

scorponok

Not scorporock,
What do you have for Shoguns/Jumbo Machinders? Its the only real toy I collect besides a misc. game toy here and there. Love to see pics of your collection!

I don't have anything that great just what I picked up at flea markets throughout the years.
sw.jpg

sw2.jpg

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Don't bother with that snake eyes. Hot Toys & Enterbay are the leaders when it comes to 12" and neither has the Joe license so I would stay away.
Maybe, but that head sculpt is perfect. When most companies make a Snake-Eyes, they want to do the stupid v.2 visor head that I hate. To me, that visor was the beginning of moving Snake-Eyes away from being a commando and towards becoming a fucking super-hero.

But I don't think I'd buy a 12" figure anyway. They look weird and artificial in a way that 3 3/4" figures can be excused for, imo. If there was some way to raise the shoulders when raising the arms, then maybe. Otherwise, he looks too weird in any arrms-up pose. But just standing there, he kind of exudes a bit of a Jason Voorhees vibe, which is a good thing for the character.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Heres my collection. Just dug them out of storage and am in the process or refurbing them. Got a Daimos and a Godzilla on the way too.
img20120404133351.jpg

scorponok

Not scorporock,
Heres my collection. Just dug them out of storage and am in the process or refurbing them. Got a Daimos and a Godzilla on the way too.
img20120404133351.jpg

I love that Voltron! I have 2 of them. I think I only paid $10 for both at a flea market. The LJN release came on a motorized base. Is yours Japanese or was the base removed?

v.jpg

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
I purchased this Yak Face a few weeks back
rsz_imag0614.jpg

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I love that Voltron! I have 2 of them. I think I only paid $10 for both at a flea market. The LJN release came on a motorized base. Is yours Japanese or was the base removed?

v.jpg

The one I have now is a US one removed from the base. My cousin used to run a shop that catered to these figures and through him I acquired a Japanese one in the early 2000's. I ended up trading it off for another machinder, but I always have regretted that.

Now that I have the US collection done, I might go after either some of the cheaper Popy ones or the US power rangers ones.