My First 4-Slot!

Mattroid

Edo Express Delivery Guy
15 Year Member
As long as I've been a member here, and as many great Neo fanatics as I've met over the years, I've never had my own Neo cabinet. Sure, I've collected tons of MVS carts and I've had multiple single slot boards that I've run in an old JAMMA cab, but (as I'm sure you'd all agree) that just doesn't cut it.

I was hoping to find a MVS-4-25 v3 in nice shape, but that didn't pan out. I found a few leads, most of which involved driving 100 miles or more. Regardless, none of those worked out in the end. Then, a few days ago, a v1 popped up just down the street. The pics on CL looked decent but who cares, it's right down the street!

It's not in the best shape, as you'll see from the pictures, but it works, the monitor looks good, and most of the inside is reasonably clean. Restoring it will take a bit of work, but it'll be worth it in the long run.

Anyway, on to the pics!

MS2-Cabinet.jpg

The sides show most of the damage...is there anyone around who still has stencils?

Left-Side.jpg
Right-Side.jpg

Left-Side-Art.jpg
Right-Side-Art.jpg

Someone painted over the front...I have no idea why. I've already started removing the paint though as it's not on very thick at all.

Coin-Doors.jpg

The CPO is an obvious reproduction. The image is pretty blurry and some of the letters run together. I have a spare CP in storage which I'm hopeful will fit this. I think it's rusted a bit, but I can probably clean most of it up.

Control-Panel.jpg

It looks like someone cut new holes to accommodate the layout on the repro overlay.

Inside-of-Control-Panel.jpg

4-Slot-Board.jpg

Coin-Mechs.jpg

I'm not expecting this to work...and I don't think I want to put my memory card in there to find out...

Memory-Card-Reader.jpg

At home next to the SFII :)

GameWall.jpg

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Awesome find brutha! Congrats on getting a Big Red! Was it priced reasonably? Last year I was contemplating getting one of these, as I have the most fond memories of Neo-Geo as far as arcade stuff goes, I decided to go the Candy route instead, and got an astro city instead, but to me the Big Red is my grail cab, if I can find one close and cheap enough, I'd probably pick it up, the few around I've seen near me are anywhere from $600-900, I feel that's pretty steep.

BTW love your claw machine, seriously want one of those and a gashapon machine in my house. SF 2 and neo geo right next to each other, that is just glorious nostalgia.

The King Prawn

Marked Wolf
Congrats! I remember when I brought my V.3 home.... glorious! Anyway, that cab is in great condition aesthetically next to mine so don't sweat it. Besides, they're all just battle scars. As far as your MV-IC woes, I may be able to help out. I had a similar situation and now I have spare parts.

Mattroid

Edo Express Delivery Guy
15 Year Member
Awesome find brutha! Congrats on getting a Big Red! Was it priced reasonably?

BTW love your claw machine, seriously want one of those and a gashapon machine in my house. SF 2 and neo geo right next to each other, that is just glorious nostalgia.
I was able to talk the guy down to $400 since it was in worse shape than the listing said. I've seen some in better shape go for much cheaper, but considering I only had to drive a few miles to get it, the savings in time and gas were worth it. $500 was about the max I was willing to go right now, so I feel I made out okay.

I picked up that Skill Crane for my wife last Christmas. I gotta say, it's a load of fun and guests always swarm to it :)

Congrats! I remember when I brought my V.3 home.... glorious! Anyway, that cab is in great condition aesthetically next to mine so don't sweat it. Besides, they're all just battle scars. As far as your MV-IC woes, I may be able to help out. I had a similar situation and now I have spare parts.
Very true. That's how I've always felt about my SFII - the sides aren't in the best shape there either. I do still plan to put the CPO on there one of these days, though :p I may try to ol' soapy water and toothbrush trick on the MV-IC...I've always wanted to try that but never had something I was willing to try it on. Either way, let me know what you have and we'll see how my scrubbing goes!

The King Prawn

Marked Wolf
Soapy water and or electronics cleaner sprays may get you going, as long as the harnesses weren't shorted as was the case with mine. The board is not invasive at all as there is no circuitry on it. As long as the traces are good it'll function fine.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
congrats again! Seriously a great price, and lucky to find one so close!

bryan

Geese's Thug
Congrats! Nice to find them close, I always figured I would have to drive 200 or more miles. I could not believe I got mine only 12 miles away.

Mattroid

Edo Express Delivery Guy
15 Year Member
Congrats! Nice to find them close, I always figured I would have to drive 200 or more miles. I could not believe I got mine only 12 miles away.
Yep, that makes it that much sweeter!

Also, I dug out an old spare CP I had in storage and plan to put the original overlay on mine. This CP is is worse cosmetic shape than the one on the cab currently, and the overlay has some rust stains, but I still like it better than the repro+plexi one on there right now.

New-CP.jpg

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
That's awesome man! Good to see another Neo cab being taken care of, Here's to many nights of Neo Geo action!
Warm soapy water works but I try to use distilled water to minimize mineral deposits.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Matt, Electric Grave i think had some side art left, you might want to shoot him a PM..

Mattroid

Edo Express Delivery Guy
15 Year Member
Thanks. I'm actually talking with a couple of people right now about getting some paint masks made. All the logos I've found have been "off" a little bit so we're making sure they are the proper size and redrawing some of the details to be a bit more true to the original. Sometimes it sucks to be a perfectionist!

Matt, Electric Grave i think had some side art left, you might want to shoot him a PM..