Viability of collecting MVS kits?

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I am new to the neo geo collecting game and was wondering if anybody can assist -

I am contemplating owning some MVS kits. They will never be touched, just used as conversation starters. My question is, have MVS kits appreciated much over the last 10 years? I was hoping for some perspective from the experienced collectors as to their worth so I can make an informed decision to begin purchasing or not. Thankyou.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
...I am contemplating owning some MVS kits. They will never be touched, just used as conversation starters...

cmt-medium.gif

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I think you're better off trying a different hobby that's a conversation starter. Art is probably more what you're looking for. Video games are definitely not a conversation starter in most instances. Also cdamm x a billion.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Why not just buy empty shockboxes and print out whatever insert you want in them? They would look no different from mvs games on your shelf, except much cheaper.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
If by "conversation starters" you mean "trying to get laid", then I think you really shouldn't be looking into video games... No matter how expensive they are. That just magnify's the dork-factor.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Why would you buy full kits just to look at... would you even think about owning a cab or CMVS so you could actually play them...?

And as for question, most would have depreciated since their original release but the prices have stabilised now and chances are they will not drop in price. But still, collect to play not to shelve...:oh_no:

snkmax330

Rugal's Thug
try first to get a life dude. collecting fks is time consuming and expensive.
don't blow your money in video games
ig your goal is to make easy money, lot of guys already do that

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
they will absolutely accrue in value. they're video games and when you have people over i'm sure they'll be really interested in asking you about your video games. this is an excellent idear and i wholeheartedly support you going for it.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
i think he should start with the most expensive ones, cause his friends will appreciate him more for doing that, if he were to only have say... football frenzy, world heroes and fatal fury on the shelf, his friends might see that and spit in his face, pee on his rug (one that really tied the room together) and dunk his head in the toilet....... not cool :/

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member

LMAO, :lol: that reply is awesome.

I can understand about taking really good care of your games. But, as conversation only :scratch: Hell the conversation of them is when your finished playing them and talking about how enjoyable they were.

>Marty<

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The better conversation starter is getting a friend who isn't into the Neo to play Metal Slug 3 2 player for the first time.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Australia FTW once again.

We have had an awfully large influx of retards from Australia lately. Australia has become the new France!

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I am new to the neo geo collecting game and was wondering if anybody can assist -

I am contemplating owning some MVS kits. They will never be touched, just used as conversation starters. My question is, have MVS kits appreciated much over the last 10 years? I was hoping for some perspective from the experienced collectors as to their worth so I can make an informed decision to begin purchasing or not. Thankyou.

You could probably just collect glass dildos then.

They'll start a conversation much faster and you'd have a slightly higher chance of getting laid.

Grandmaster B

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Some kits actually did increase in value quite a bit. I wish I had purchased more new KOF 2003 kits for around $40 back in the day.

As conversation starters, I'd suggest more economical things like buying a used Lamborghini key and putting it on the table in the restaurant when you have a first date...

Australia has become the new France!

:D

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I bet Hugh Hefner has plenty of MVS kits he can use as "conversion" starters.
Reach for that rainbow, mate!

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
This is interesting, because I got into collecting video games for exactly the opposite reason. A game comes off the shelf and another awkward conversation is averted! :mr_t:

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I imagine the best case conversation scenario would go like this
"hey, why do you have a shelf full of brown cardboard boxes?'
"oh those are neogeo videogames"
"oh awesome I loved playing neogeo at the pizza place down the street as a kid! can we play some?"
"no"

silverstar

New Challenger
Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Australia FTW once again.

We have had an awfully large influx of retards from Australia lately. Australia has become the new France!

<<<<<<< RETARD NUMERO UNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

We're getting on the NEO band wagon because our dollar is really strong. A few years back we were only getting 60 cents to $1 US. We're now at $1.05 to $1.00 USD.

Neo has never been so affordable for Aussie's hence the influx of us lately.