Sega Naomi -> Sigma AV7000: Help Needed

ECZangief

The Real Al Bundy
Hey there,

I just picked up a Sega Naomi mobo and Capcom I/O.

This is my first time setting up anything other than MVS or CPS-2 on my Sigma, so I have a few questions before I blow anything up. From what I understand, using a Capcom I/O should allow me to draw power directly from the supergun, but I'm not getting audio or video at the moment. I can hear the fan, so it is receiving power. On the video side, I'm connecting to a PVM via S-video, which works fine with CPS-2 stuff so far.

Here's what it looks like right now, in terms of connections (though not in this picture I DID have my a/v cord plugged into the AV7000:]):
IMAG0382.jpg

First, do I have to adjust anything on the Supergun end in order to get the Naomi up and running? I seem to recall reading to adjust the 5v pot up slightly in the 5.25-5.1 range, though I'm not certain.

Second, do I have the proper power cable-- I notice some setups that use the connector to the left of what I have used.

I'm at a loss, and don't want to wreck anything being hasty. Do your worst friends.

Last edited:
i dont know much about the sigma but generally you need power to the naomi i havent set mine up for a while but as far as i can remember the connection next to the vga is the power supply

ECZangief

The Real Al Bundy
I believe that the connection directly adjacent to the vga is for the GD-rom unit. I suppose my specific question is how do I adjust the Sigma in order to allow the Capcom I/O to power the Naomi mobo.

I know I'm not asking quite the right question, but I'm fairly new to Naomi, and I know its not a walk in the park.

Last edited:

doggydodomi

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Sigma won't have enough juice to power the Naomi..

I ran mine with a extra power supply with NO POWER connection on the I/O board to the sigma.

ECZangief

The Real Al Bundy
When I used a Multimeter to read the voltages coming out from the I/O I was able to find the 12v line and the 5v volt line reading properly. However the third line, which I'd assume is supposed to be 3.3v came up as 0v.

Does this sound about right for your diagnosis?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Sigma won't have enough juice to power the Naomi..

I ran mine with a extra power supply with NO POWER connection on the I/O board to the sigma.

Doesn't the Sigma use a full arcade PSU?

ECZangief

The Real Al Bundy
I went out and picked up a nice Multimeter tonight to doublecheck my readings. I am suspecting a bad multimeter for my first round of readings, because today I was able to get a voltage reading of 3.30v out of the Capcom I/O. So good for me, I don't have a dead or fried I/O as far as I can tell.

Now I am more concerned, as I'm supplying the mobo with what it needs in order to operate as far as I can tell. I still get the same powered mobo with fan and leds, but no video or sound. I've yet to test it on a vga monitor because I don't have easy access to one at the moment, but I don't get any sound when connect the audio from the mobo directly to my tv.

KaPH33n

Sieger's Squire
Are you testing your voltage under load (i.e. naomi powering on)? are both the red and green LEDs turning on?

As for no audio/video that could be due to motherboard settings. You can turn off advertise sound which I believe will stop the naomi plinking sound on boot from happening. Is your naomi dip switch #1 set to output 15khz?

FYI the 6 pin connector is not for the gd rom it is just another power connector to help spread the load. if you use your multimeter you will see continuity between the two headers. The gd rom drive, if powered through the same source with the power splitter cable piggy backs off of the 8 pin connector.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I've used my sigma AV7000 when I had my sega naomi gd rom setup but you need the separate sega psu power supply. Even setting your sigma at full blast with your screw driver is not enough.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ECZangief

The Real Al Bundy
Are you testing your voltage under load (i.e. naomi powering on)? are both the red and green LEDs turning on?

As for no audio/video that could be due to motherboard settings. You can turn off advertise sound which I believe will stop the naomi plinking sound on boot from happening. Is your naomi dip switch #1 set to output 15khz?

FYI the 6 pin connector is not for the gd rom it is just another power connector to help spread the load. if you use your multimeter you will see continuity between the two headers. The gd rom drive, if powered through the same source with the power splitter cable piggy backs off of the 8 pin connector.

Thanks for weighing in Kaph,

I am testing the voltage with the Naomi powered on. I just read 3.29 at the I/O and 3.26 at the Naomi mobo itself. Should I crank up my PSU on the supergun a bit to get it to 3.30?

I have dipswitch 1 raised, so I believe it is set to 15khz. I am trying to get this to display video on a Sony PVM with s-video, so I suppose my next order of business will be finding a vga monitor to test this on as well. That way I can remove at least one variable related to the supergun.

I'm actually paranoid now that I may have fried something on the mobo, because after I went out and bought a proper multimeter, I found that my 5v line was reading a lot higher than it was with the old one. Is there anyway to check the mobo for signs of damage?

Edit for RAZO's post:

Ah, yes I did find your thread in my search for answers, but I am not using a GD setup, and my Capcom I/O is actually putting out the correct voltage. I am perplexed.

I think I see a Happ PSU behind the monitor? Is that in use in addition to the Naomi PSU?

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Thanks for weighing in Kaph,

I am testing the voltage with the Naomi powered on. I just read 3.29 at the I/O and 3.26 at the Naomi mobo itself. Should I crank up my PSU on the supergun a bit to get it to 3.30?

I have dipswitch 1 raised, so I believe it is set to 15khz. I am trying to get this to display video on a Sony PVM with s-video, so I suppose my next order of business will be finding a vga monitor to test this on as well. That way I can remove at least one variable related to the supergun.

I'm actually paranoid now that I may have fried something on the mobo, because after I went out and bought a proper multimeter, I found that my 5v line was reading a lot higher than it was with the old one. Is there anyway to check the mobo for signs of damage?

Edit for RAZO's post:

Ah, yes I did find your thread in my search for answers, but I am not using a GD setup, and my Capcom I/O is actually putting out the correct voltage. I am perplexed.

I think I see a Happ PSU behind the monitor? Is that in use in addition to the Naomi PSU?

The sigma still doesn't have enough juice to power up the naomi1 and capcom IO. I remember researching this at sega-naomi.com . I believe if you have a Naomi2 w/ capcom IO it might work, but not with a naomi1. Its been awhile but I remember trying a capcom vs snk cart without the gd rom and it still wouldn't work without the sega psu. My power supply was not a hap power supply, it was a original sega psu, same one found on this link http://sega-naomi.com/hardware.htm .

ECZangief

The Real Al Bundy
The sigma still doesn't have enough juice to power up the naomi1 and capcom IO. I remember researching this at sega-naomi.com . I believe if you have a Naomi2 w/ capcom IO it might work, but not with a naomi1. Its been awhile but I remember trying a capcom vs snk cart without the gd rom and it still wouldn't work without the sega psu. My power supply was not a hap power supply, it was a original sega psu, same one found on this link http://sega-naomi.com/hardware.htm .

I see, so did you just wire up the Sega PSU to a standard 3 prong plug?

I plan on getting a Naomi PSU, but I want to rule out the mobo being fried first. I think I remember that you wound up having to get a different mobo before getting your setup up and running... I'm wondering, do you think the first may have been cooked by cranking up the 5v on the Sigma? I ask because I am concerned that I may have done the same while I was adjusting with the help of a shitty multimeter-- I was getting readings that were off by a few tenths of a volt, well into what I hear is the troublesome 5.2v range that is known to toast the mobos.

From what I understand, the Sigma uses a comparable PSU to what would be found in a Jamma arcade cab, and the Capcom I/O is designed to work in conjunction with such a setup. In addition, I've found the voltages coming out of the Capcom I/O to be reading as they should at the Mobo. So yah, I'm still at a huge loss.

Last edited:

ECZangief

The Real Al Bundy
It is a small Sanwa PSU.

Has options for 240V operation but the components are removed.

Ah I see, so it ISN'T up to arcade spec is it? Still isn't it strange that the 12v, 5v, and 3.3v lines are all coming up ok on the Mobo? Or is there something I'm missing?

Edit: I found this over at the Sega-Naomi forum:

"Superguns were made to power jamma pcb's. The Naomi system with GD-Rom system uses more power than the standard JAMMA supports.

Average max power:
JAMMA= 110 watts

Naomi= 180 watts (fully loaded)"

I suppose I'm getting 12, 5, and 3.3 volts, but my power supply is just not rated for the overall power needs of the Naomi?

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I see, so did you just wire up the Sega PSU to a standard 3 prong plug?

I plan on getting a Naomi PSU, but I want to rule out the mobo being fried first. I think I remember that you wound up having to get a different mobo before getting your setup up and running... I'm wondering, do you think the first may have been cooked by cranking up the 5v on the Sigma? I ask because I am concerned that I may have done the same while I was adjusting with the help of a shitty multimeter-- I was getting readings that were off by a few tenths of a volt, well into what I hear is the troublesome 5.2v range that is known to toast the mobos.

From what I understand, the Sigma uses a comparable PSU to what would be found in a Jamma arcade cab, and the Capcom I/O is designed to work in conjunction with such a setup. In addition, I've found the voltages coming out of the Capcom I/O to be reading as they should at the Mobo. So yah, I'm still at a huge loss.

No, lol. I ordered a universal bios and installed the bios upside down on that first naomi. That was the reason why it did not work. It was a mistake on my part, you live and learn. I think your naomi board is fine. I don't think the sigma has enough juice to fry it.

Most people who have a standard arcade cab's require the extra sega psu to power up the naomi and capcom IO. Naomi Cabs have the correct power supply installed so no need for the extra psu.

Yes, I just cut a old extension cord and spliced it to the power supply.

ECZangief

The Real Al Bundy
No, lol. I ordered a universal bios and installed the bios upside down on that first naomi. That was the reason why it did not work. It was a mistake on my part, you live and learn. I think your naomi board is fine. I don't think the sigma has enough juice to fry it.

Most people who have a standard arcade cab's require the extra sega psu to power up the naomi and capcom IO. Naomi Cabs have the correct power supply installed so no need for the extra psu.

Yes, I just cut a old extension cord and spliced it to the power supply.

Haha, well thanks for the info! My next step is going to be trying the Naomi on a VGA monitor, while I wait for an opportunity to get a Naomi PSU.

I welcome any and all other comments and observations in the meantime, thanks all!

doggydodomi

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
It is arcade spec. Voltage are fine but the PSU cannot deliver the current needed.

Ah I see, so it ISN'T up to arcade spec is it? Still isn't it strange that the 12v, 5v, and 3.3v lines are all coming up ok on the Mobo? Or is there something I'm missing?

Edit: I found this over at the Sega-Naomi forum:

"Superguns were made to power jamma pcb's. The Naomi system with GD-Rom system uses more power than the standard JAMMA supports.

Average max power:
JAMMA= 110 watts

Naomi= 180 watts (fully loaded)"

I suppose I'm getting 12, 5, and 3.3 volts, but my power supply is just not rated for the overall power needs of the Naomi?

ECZangief

The Real Al Bundy
Thank you for clarifying. I feel the need for a crash course in power supply.