Road to Euro 2012 (Poland/Ukraine)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
It's 109 days to go to Euro 2012 (kickoff is on June 8th), really looking forward to it. Believe the hype, guys! :D

Germany is in a quite difficult group... our first opponent will be Portugal...

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
prepare for the dreaded Portuguese 9-0-1 formation.

The German national team has a lot more going for it than some other countries. Low has EC final experience, and has led the team through WC campaign that actually was not terrible (compared to Brazil last time, which was a disaster). This is also Lahm's 3rd Euro Cup. He has experienced failure (2004) and some success. If anyone is ready to lead the team to a cup final, it's him.

Portugal has the tactics to win their group, but the team is not really impressive on paper. It's unfortunate for them that they are up against two better teams in Germany and Netherlands. Denmark is okay, but I don't expect too much from them. Bowing out in 3rd place would be very respectable. Agger is solid, but Kjaer is really unreliable right now. He's not the same guy from 2 years ago. Bendtner is Bendtner. No one loves him, but I think he's hilarious. He's in complete denial over his abilities on the pitch, and not afraid to tell people.

Spain has a very nice group. They have a really nice team too. David Villa is out for the season, but I figure if he is healthy by the time to cup starts, he will try to beat his last scoring record. International games are where Villa shines brightest, and already he shines pretty bright for his clubs. Spain needs him in there because Torres is not reliable anymore. Something happened. He was a ghost for most of the last Euro cup, and after leaving Liverpool last year he has gone to rubbish. If Villa doesn't come back, I would call up Soldado. Just saying. Soldado is way better than Pedro. Better to have the Soldier and Llorente than Pepito.

It will be interesting to see if France has gotten over the last WC. They have England in their group, right? That's like the battle of the brats. Should be fun to watch them embarrass each other.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I'm more worried about the Netherlands than Portugal to be honest but they're both doable. Our lads are in very good shape and hungry, I've watched all test and qualification matches, including the one against Brazil where we stomped them 3:2, really amazing. Löw wants, no, needs a title before his retirement as a coach. Anyway, it was clear that we'd run out of lottery luck one day, the last WC and Euro groups were super easy.

Denmark was a surprise entry, guess they won't survive the playoffs. I like their style but as you said, their game is not consistent enough, they remind me of the Czechs in this regard. Still, I wish our neighbours the best of luck! :)

I hope England does better than last WC. France? Not interested in them in the least, I hope they get kicked out in first round already. Don't like their style and most of their players (bunch of arrogant pricks).

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'm more worried about the Netherlands than Portugal to be honest but they're both doable. Our lads are in very good shape and hungry, I've watched all test and qualification matches, including the one against Brazil where we stomped them 3:2, really amazing. Löw wants, no, needs a title before his retirement as a coach. Anyway, it was clear that we'd run out of lottery luck one day, the last WC and Euro groups were super easy.

Denmark was a surprise entry, guess they won't survive the playoffs. I like their style but as you said, their game is not consistent enough, they remind me of the Czechs in this regard. Still, I wish our neighbours the best of luck! :)

I hope England does better than last WC. France? Not interested in them in the least, I hope they get kicked out in first round already. Don't like their style and most of their players (bunch of arrogant pricks).

I feel the opposite. I think England sucks balls right now. Their team is a bunch of wankers. France has amazing talent all over, but there are some real assholes on that team who I dislike. Who do I like? Gourcuff, Adil Rami, Lloris - those guys are pretty dope. Nasri is a money grubbing bench rider with no place on the pitch anymore, and Evra needs to be banned for life. There are some young lads I am really interested in watching, like M'vila. There's more good than bad now with France. Domenech is gone, and a lot of the bullshit was probably tossed out with him.

sp3ctr3

Mr. Big's Thug
We're fucked. Portugal, Spain and the Netherlands? Sure we beat Portugal in qualifiers, but I don't see Denmark doing anything in this pool.

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
While very team will be licking they balls England Rooney will be knocking them in the net...france even Spain look what happened to Barcelona against chealsea got they ase kicked..

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
France would have been a powerhouse if they would have called up giuly last world cup or euro...

anyway, Germany with Ozil and Khedira gaining a lot of experience and Neuer with Bayern, I could see Germany doing amazing things. Does bayern carry a lot of international players for the natl team?

Spain, if Senor raul comes to the team on the bench with llorente, and soldado, i could see them do something, but torres and villa should be out, let's see how torres does in champion's league final though.

England, IDK, I feel like the team doesn't have an identity, and theyve been likethat for years. Id call beckham solely for National Pride, he seems to love playing for his country, unlike many other players, i feel.

whaat's everyones take on italy?

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
Torres just scored a hatrick today looks like he hitting form at the right time can only be good for Spain

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
ireland pretty much got in on luck alone, and probably wont make it very far. but it doesn't stop the irish from putting up bunting, flags, and setting up their houses like pubs with TVs everywhere and loads of banners, and jerseys everywhere. so yeah we got spain, italy, and croatia. we could maybe beat croatia, pull a draw with italy, and lose to spain; and hopefully get through. but i fuckin doubt it. oh well, there's always the next big tourney.

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
The Irish will need all the luck they can get especially against that lot.....very hard group

bravojohny

Armored Scrum Object
So, Holland lost, Germany lost (5-3), Denmark lost (nice job Hulk, scored twice) and Portugal had an apathetic draw with Macedonia.

Well, 12 days to the tournament and most of the well placed ranked teams play on vacation mode.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'm a bit more furious at the racism that was happening in Ukraine where some Indian lads were targeted and beaten on account of their skin color. This should never have happened. Platini needs to be removed from post immediately. Sepp Blatter should consider stepping down as well.

You cannot pick a racist nattion to host an international cup. Rather, you blackball them from all competitions and let them be racist twats in private.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
So, Holland lost, Germany lost (5-3), Denmark lost (nice job Hulk, scored twice) and Portugal had an apathetic draw with Macedonia.

Well, 12 days to the tournament and most of the well placed ranked teams play on vacation mode.

Don't tell me about it... the bs our lads pulled off in Switzerland was a tragedy to watch to say the least. Well, Loew tested out a few players, this wasn't our A team (that's my way to soothe my nerves). ... ...---...

Platini needs to be removed from post immediately. Sepp Blatter should consider stepping down as well.

You cannot pick a racist nattion to host an international cup. Rather, you blackball them from all competitions and let them be racist twats in private.

My thoughts exactly. It was a huge mistake to give Ukraine the go, just like Quatar (WC). Fucking Platini and Blatter move with the (oil)dollar, they've been ripe for being kicked out for years now but noone is going to do anything about it because international football functionaries are some sort of symbiotic mildew where one cell cannot live without the other. Kick Blatter (or Platini) out an the domino effect will bring the whole house down.

FIFA and UEFA need to be wrecked. Give footie back to the players and fans.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Can you imagine the racism in 2018? It's going to be intense.

Brasil will be great in 2014 though. One of the best places for football period.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Brasil will be great in 2014 though. One of the best places for football period.

Yes and no. Crime rate in certain areas of Brazil (namely the big cities) is quite high and there's a lot of social unrest boiling under the lid so I guess there's potential for all sorts of problems during WC as well.

On the other hand, Brazil is one of the greatest football nations, will be a smashing footie party if everything runs smoothly. I'm also happy for the Brazilian fans.

They're going to build fully air-conditioned stadiums in Qatar from what I've heard. It's not that I'd grudge the Qataris the WC but hey, playing footie when it's 120+ deg. F outside is madness.

What's next, WC 2022 in Siberia during winter?

Last edited:

bravojohny

Armored Scrum Object
Don't tell me about it... the bs our lads pulled off in Switzerland was a tragedy to watch to say the least. Well, Loew tested out a few players, this wasn't our A team (that's my way to soothe my nerves). ... ...---...

My thoughts exactly. It was a huge mistake to give Ukraine the go, just like Quatar (WC). Fucking Platini and Blatter move with the (oil)dollar, they've been ripe for being kicked out for years now but noone is going to do anything about it because international football functionaries are some sort of symbiotic mildew where one cell cannot live without the other. Kick Blatter (or Platini) out an the domino effect will bring the whole house down.

FIFA and UEFA need to be wrecked. Give footie back to the players and fans.

Yep, Germany team wasn't at it's best. There were missing 6 Bayern Munchen players and they do a lot of difference. I expect, however, group A teams will be at their best during tournament. A group is going to be a lot of fun.:lolz:

@Xander- is just too bad and a shame that happened. I do not regret for Poland. That people do deserve this tournament and much more, but given the Ukraine circumstances, UEFA should have backed the indian lads immediatly.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ady-to-kill-racists-at-euro-2012-7804019.html

balotelli is fucking crazy, i wouldn't be surprised if he actually did kill someone. i've worked with a load of poles here in ireland, and they all seem like good people, they don't seem to be any bit more racist than any other average white folks. i don't know about ukrainians though, they might be a whole other kettle of fish. either way the amount of black players, and families of black players saying they're not wanting to go is shocking. so it doesn't sound like a promising euros.

as for qatar, they shoulda picked the US, bill clinton was there and all ready to bring us another WC. oh well.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ady-to-kill-racists-at-euro-2012-7804019.html

balotelli is fucking crazy, i wouldn't be surprised if he actually did kill someone. i've worked with a load of poles here in ireland, and they all seem like good people, they don't seem to be any bit more racist than any other average white folks. i don't know about ukrainians though, they might be a whole other kettle of fish. either way the amount of black players, and families of black players saying they're not wanting to go is shocking. so it doesn't sound like a promising euros.

as for qatar, they shoulda picked the US, bill clinton was there and all ready to bring us another WC. oh well.

You're forgetting that when a group is the minority, they don't act up. People in general that move to other countries will likely be more behaved than those that stay home where they make up the majority.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
I feel the opposite. I think England sucks balls right now. Their team is a bunch of wankers. France has amazing talent all over, but there are some real assholes on that team who I dislike. Who do I like? Gourcuff, Adil Rami, Lloris - those guys are pretty dope. Nasri is a money grubbing bench rider with no place on the pitch anymore, and Evra needs to be banned for life. There are some young lads I am really interested in watching, like M'vila. There's more good than bad now with France. Domenech is gone, and a lot of the bullshit was probably tossed out with him.

on this thread a little late but whatevs...

agree with this. England is a shambles right now - 3 captains in as many months, Rooney missing 2 games, Andy Carroll being called up and getting the No 9 shirt (all sorts of WTF there), Gerrard and Lampard most likely playing on the pitch together AGAIN when its been a complete failure time and time again, J. Terry having the racism thing over his head.

quite honestly it could be anyones cup this time around. I dont think Spain will do it. They have a serious problem up front.

France means business but ....its france. They could lose their first match easily and go out in straight sets.

The dutch never win shit and i dont see them doing it again. Maybe Italy? They are a little under the radar at the moment which probably suits them fine.

You can never rule out Germany either, but they have a habit of letting you down time and time again. But please Khadera? He is a part timer and mostly full time benchwarmer at Real Madrid. If thats who people are banking on to bring it home god help them.

bravojohny

Armored Scrum Object
You're forgetting that when a group is the minority, they don't act up. People in general that move to other countries will likely be more behaved than those that stay home where they make up the majority.

I wouldn't be surprised if Balotelli did something. Sometimes he do overreacts, but given the situation he could well kick some ass.

I'm not that negative about Qatar WC. Arabians will spend all necessary money to assure a proper WC. I'm glad about Brasil and all the joy expectable outside the fields, but those arabians will go crazy. I bet those stadiums will be from another planet, as long as petro oil custs keep rising.

About the other squads, I woudn't underestimate Swedem, Croatia, Portugal even Denmark if all goes wright with them from the beginning. Italy could be a surprise but we always have to expect something strong from Germany, France, Spain and England.

Mero

New Challenger
England ain't going to do jack shit at this tournament, I'd even consider just qualifying from the group to be a success. And yes, Ukraine should never have been given the tournament in a million years.

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
bring it on

Only few day to go ...and England are ready to blast the french up the ase, one goal will be sufficient against them .

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Only few day to go ...and England are ready to blast the french up the ase, one goal will be sufficient against them .

Not so sure. All England can do is park a bus for past ..... 46 years