Street Fighter X Tekken

Reality Check

World Hero
I took this game online and...it's buggy. It has this annoying sound glitch that the sound effects lag or completely goes away. Other it that, I had a smooth experience. No major lag issues

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Well surprise, surprise.... SURPRISE!!! The hackers have already cut into the 360 and PS3 versions and lo and behold all of the characters and bonus costumes are already on the fucking disk. Of course, there's some stuff missing like voice overs in the characters opening and endings. But here's two videos of Cody, Guy, Blanka and Elena in the game.

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
Yup, looks like Lei, Bryan Fury, Cody, Guy, Blanka, Elena, Dudley, Alissa, Lars, Jack and possibly Christie are in by a pictured character select screen with all of them unlocked. Also a Capcom female I can't come up with, perhaps makoto?

The unknown to me was Sakura and these are all listed as the Vita exclusive characters on Giant Bomb's site. I hope that isn't so as I am a huge fan of Bryan and Dudley.

Last edited:

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Yet again, a big middle finger to Capcom for screwing up one of my previous favorite genres. Enough of the nickel and diming already.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
The Capcops have been trying to take down all of the video leaks but the damage is done. One guy even put up Mega Man and Pac-Man running on Xbox360. Vita exclusive my ass.

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
Saw a comment from Seth Killian later on that says the Vita exclusive characters will eventually be DLC for consoles. I don't know when the Vita version is slated to hit however. Glad the characters are coming home. I just hope I don't have to wait too long for Bryan and Dudley.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Here's Capcom's official statement on the DLC.

Official statement:

Capcom has confirmed that 12 new fan-favorite characters will be available as Downloadable Content (DLC) on the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC versions of Street Fighter X Tekken later this year. The playable characters will make their debut on the PS Vita system when the game is released this fall, with the console and PC versions receiving them as DLC soon after. The character information and files were intentionally included on retail versions of the PS3 and Xbox 360 game to save hard drive space and to ensure for a smooth transition when the DLC is available, allowing players who choose not to purchase the content the ability to play against players that did. More specifics regarding pricing, dates and other additional exciting DLC plans for Street Fighter X Tekken will be shared at a later date. As a reminder, the retail version of the game will be the only disc-based version consumers will need to own and all future upgrades will come from post-launch DLC. The new characters fighting their way onto Street Fighter X Tekken are... from the Street Fighter side... Blanka, Cody, Dudley, Elena, Guy and Sakura will be playable and from Tekken... Alisa Bosconovitch, Bryan Fury, Christie Monteiro, Jack, Lars Alexandersson and Lei Wulong will all be available.

By including these 12 characters on the disc, the idea was to ensure easy compatibility between players who do and do not choose to download the characters when they arrive as DLC. For example, not buying costumes in the Street Fighter IV series means you will not see the costumes when playing another person who did buy them; on-disc characters avoid this issue and allow everyone to participate in the update without additional patches or hiccups. The update also saves on file size - instead of a massive download, there will be a much smaller unlock that brings the new content to the surface.

This move also furthers our desire to avoid a "Super" version of the game down the road. Everything you need to enjoy this game for months (and years) to come will be accessed by the retail disc available this week. When the DLC update does come, it will inject new life and excitement into the game by unleashing 12 new fighters into the wild.

SFxT has a ton of content on day one, then later this year we reenergize the whole thing with a hefty DLC update, without the need for a second disc. And while pricing details are still to come, I can at least say it'll be a great value considering the size of the update - 12 new characters is pretty substantial, after all.

I understand the reaction, but SFxT is a damn fun game with a ton of content right out of the gate and more stuff - all designed to keep this fresh - to come.

So it's easier for them to not release huge patches and makes it easier so people don't have to download patches when all of the characters become available. That happened in Mortal Kombat 9. You had to download a patch that included the extra character and two costumes in order to play with the new DLC characters. (That weren't on the disk)

So we gotta wait till the fall for the game to come out on Vita and then what? Do they give the Vita an exclusive period before the console versions get to use the characters? What if I want to play the game a couple of years down the road when XBLA/PSN doesn't exist? How can I play the full version?

If I do pick this game up it'll be used so my money won't go to Capcom. I'm sick of hearing the internet white knights defend Capcom and calling people armchair developers. I'm sorry. When I spend 60 dollars on a game I expect to be able to get everything out of it, not have to wait a couple of months and spend more money to see the rest of it.

bradtemple87

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I just picked up my copy from work about an hour ago, I hit the lab tomorrow!

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
Here's Capcom's official statement on the DLC.

So it's easier for them to not release huge patches and makes it easier so people don't have to download patches when all of the characters become available. That happened in Mortal Kombat 9. You had to download a patch that included the extra character and two costumes in order to play with the new DLC characters. (That weren't on the disk)

So we gotta wait till the fall for the game to come out on Vita and then what? Do they give the Vita an exclusive period before the console versions get to use the characters? What if I want to play the game a couple of years down the road when XBLA/PSN doesn't exist? How can I play the full version?

If I do pick this game up it'll be used so my money won't go to Capcom. I'm sick of hearing the internet white knights defend Capcom and calling people armchair developers. I'm sorry. When I spend 60 dollars on a game I expect to be able to get everything out of it, not have to wait a couple of months and spend more money to see the rest of it.

I can see both sides of this issue, but being an older, long time gamer I sort of equate it to the original SF2 days. That game had more new iterations than any other I can recall for the home carts and each one cost you a brand new roughly $50. At least this way I don't have to cough up another full price wad of cash when the release the rest of the characters like people did when SF2 turned into Champ edition and added the 4 bosses, then turned into SSF2 and added 4 more. Instead they will likely release the locked ones (that maybe are, maybe aren't play tested and "balanced") with some digital code that tweaks them a touch after the Vita crew gets some time with them as exclusives. On the other hand, Capcom in general has been horrible about dealing with DLC and milking this shit for every ounce of coin they can get. The amount they charged for the costume packs in SF4 was just dumb imo, which is why I waited for the current pricing on them before I bit and the last Resident Evil thing left a very sour taste in a lot of peoples' mouths too. I expected DLC characters to be made for this game and I expected that some of the work on them would be on disk. I didn't expect to see people with hacked consoles giving a full on clinic of what these characters were capable of and seeing them fully playable however. I figured they would be more like the Real Bout 2 hidden pilot character that could be played, but wasn't really a complete fighter.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Blah blah blah, bitch bitch bitch, nothing new about this place on that aspect.

Whenever everyone is done bitching about Soulcalibur V (lol) and Capcom releasing too many fighters (mega lol) LMK so we can play some SFXT.

I'm still new to the system and SFIV, so grab some wins while you can.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
this game finally has me excited for fighters again.
MvC didn't do much for me.

This however...ohoho.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I like this game!
the only thing I don't like about it is the tekken characters are so variable and interesting it's making my capcom boys feel kinda boring.

people bitching about DLC on disk and stuff... damn guys you are going to miss out on playing this game in it's prime to stand up to your principles? outa the box this game has a gigantic roster, it's not like it's a incomplete game. I understood the capcom hate much better with MVC3... I was happy to get UMVC3 as it has great netcode (updated from absolutely unplayable netcode) and awesome added content... so I didn't agree with the haters... but I understood.... with this game the haters completely lost me.

brand new 2d fighter with a GIGANTIC roster, great netplay(apparently), fancy graphics, tons of content... and people boycott it for doing the same shit as every other game (KOF XIII included)

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Dicking around with this right now.

I really like it so far.

The Cross Arts are fun to pull off, the game's not overblown with a jillion techniques and seems responsive.

And Dan quotes Terry Bogard in the tutorial.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
I'm loving this, I'll be on tomorrow afternoon if anyone wants to play.

Also, has anyone had issues with Ranked Matches lagging like a mofo?

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Just bought this travesty due to a friends want to play it

bradtemple87

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I spent about 3 hours in the lab this morning and managed to get a lot under my belt, but I was unable to connect to ranked matches on psn

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Spent some time last night basically doing trials and figuring out who I want to use. I like the system. It's a nice middle ground between SF4 and MvC3. Seems like links are easier in this game than in SF4, but it might just be my execution has improved since the last time I played that game.

Friends on PSN hit me up for some casuals (IronTiger81).

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Did a couple of run throughs in arcade mode with some of the teams.

Did Guile & Abel and then Poison & Hugo.

I like the control and am digging all the various applications for the Cross Arts. The game really feels like 'Street Fighter Tag Battle' to me. The tag system is better, IMO, than MvC 3, but I need to figure out how to really exploit it better. Or maybe because I'm used to seeing stupid damage from the various tag team combos in MvC 3, I need to scale back my expectations.

On an aesthetic level, I love some of the touches like the background cameos and variations on the music. I love when you go into the 'team' mode, where both of your characters are on the screen at the same tmie, you can hear a ramped up version of the old World Warrior music.

I also love some of the goofier elements of the dialogue and storyline. It's nice to see a fighting game that doesn't take its story so seriously.

The only thing that irritates me is that I can't change the narrator's voice to Japanese. It's my own personal hangup, but I generally hate hearing English in these games, probably because of the gaming culture my aesthetic tastes evovled in.

I'm going to get into trials to see what works for me best. Of the four characters I've gotten to know, I really like three of them. Poison didn't click with me. I played arouns with Rolento a bit and really enjoyed his gameplay. Need to try out the Tekken characters.

It's wierd, but seeing the Tekken and SF characters side by side, I really like the general design aesthetic of the Tekken characters more. They look more interesting. Maybe that's because SF is the 'Tolkein' of the fighter genre and my perception is that they're sort of the template for everything that followed and has been innovated on since WW came out.

Playing this makes me really want Capcom vs. SNK 3 very badly....

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
I'm reading up on this (mostly on shoryuken) to see if I want to get it or not. I liked SF4 quite a lot and played the snot out of it for about a year, but tapered off after Super came out. I was pretty "meh" about MvC3. It just never clicked with me as much as I tried to like it. I've never been a fan of Tekken at all.

Will definitely be lurking this thread to see what impressions are in the coming week.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Seems like links are easier in this game than in SF4, but it might just be my execution has improved since the last time I played that game.

Slow down there cowboy, the game has an easy link system. However there is also the classic SF link/chain system, so wether you're new or a veteran, there's different ways of handling the comcbo system, or better yet you could mix the two together and exploit the new laid back tools.

L,M,H
or M,H
or L,H
as long as you're in that order the boost combos will link easily and then you can hit another H at the end of it for a launch attack. Launches can also be done with both H attacks simultaneously, just like tagging with both M attacks. This is all in the tutorial mode, is worth going through it once.

Last edited:

cannonball

15 Year Member
Slow down there cowboy, the game has an easy link system. However there is also the classic SF link/chain system, so wether you're new or a veteran, there's different ways of handling the comcbo system, or better yet you could mix the two together and exploit the new laid back tools.

L,M,H
or M,H
or L,H
as long as you're in that order the boost combos will link easily and then you can hit another H at the end of it for a launch attack. Launches can also be done with both H attacks simultaneously, just like tagging with both M attacks. This is all in the tutorial mode, is worth going through it once.

Woah back up there chief. I'm referring to links, not the easy combo chains like L,M,H,(launcher). I'm not new to fighters ;)

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
played some games with my friend the other night, the audio was fucked up as I've read somewhere some other people had that issue too, but the game was smooth at least..... kazuya is a super beast, just with the probably not optimal combos I made up on day one hes doing like 40%+ on one solo no bar combo lol

cannonball

15 Year Member
played some games with my friend the other night, the audio was fucked up as I've read somewhere some other people had that issue too, but the game was smooth at least..... kazuya is a super beast, just with the probably not optimal combos I made up on day one hes doing like 40%+ on one solo no bar combo lol

Yeah my left speaker kept cutting in and out when I was doing the tutorial/trials/training. Although I didn't have it happen when I played through arcade mode. Probably just coincidence.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
oh i meant online , the sound is really weird online..offline I didn't have any audio issues... damn... sounds like I will probably be getting some at some point though.

well whatever,...it's playable... fuck audio!... if I could mute KOFXIII to make it playable online I would do it too.