What Shooter/Shmup do you despise the most?

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Pretty much any shmup on the SNES.

I can literally count on one hand the number of good shmups on the SNES.
GO FOR IT...
make sure you mention Super Aleste, Super SWIV & UN Squadron though.

R-Type & R-Type III are none too shabby imo and, contrary to a previous post, I think Axelay is fantastic.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
GO FOR IT...
make sure you mention Super Aleste, Super SWIV & UN Squadron though.

R-Type & R-Type III are none too shabby imo and, contrary to a previous post, I think Axelay is fantastic.

And thats about all the good ones.

You could literally go for days listing all the good shooters on the Mega Drive and PC-Engine.

Bottom line: If you are a shmup fan, the SNES was a turd. It was best for platformers and JRPG's.

Last edited:

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
The only shooter I can ever remember hating on was the 19-- series from Capcom really.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
And thats about all the good ones.

You could literally go for days listing all the good shooters on the Mega Drive...
I SAW A PILE OF MD (GEN) TITLES...
in a fellow members sale thread, and some of those games got me to thinking about what you'd said in this thread with regards to the MD's shooter selection... of GOOD shooters.

Obviously, what constitutes a 'good' shooter is very subjective (for example, RSG is an opinion divider amongst many shooter fans), however, I'd like to 'call' you on this one, if I may, and see what, specifically, these good shooters are that you speak of for the MD/GEN (not PCE). I'm going to request that Toaplan & Technosofts shooters are omitted, as I know they're all pretty much top drawer stuff anyway. Also, I know about MUSHA... as I'm a bit of an Aleste nut myself (love Zanac Neo for PS1!).

I wanna see 'days' of listing! Incidentally, I'm not looking to buy all these games. It's not a deceptive manoeuvre on my part to prise valued info from your mind on MD shooter greats, but in general, I'd appreciate any education you could offer on the subject of good shooters for MD vs large shooter library for MD :)

Last edited:

turbosage

Zero's Secretary
15 Year Member
Raiden in all its various console adaptations. I just have a really hard time getting into this game.

I thought Raiden III on PS3 was pretty good tho.

Ninjatemper

King's Dry Cleaner
Raiden in all its various console adaptations. I just have a really hard time getting into this game.

I thought Raiden could do no wrong! Wow. That Raiden Fighters compilation on Xbox 360 is very very fun. It's especially nice when you turn on the scanline option. Check it out. You'll love it for sure.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Tatsujin and Nexzr for PC Engine. Seriously, these games are way to hard... like Art of Fighting 2 on Neo Geo hard. I can get to maybe the end of the second stage in these games.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Tatsujin and Nexzr for PC Engine. Seriously, these games are way to hard... like Art of Fighting 2 on Neo Geo hard. I can get to maybe the end of the second stage in these games.

yea Nexr really turns the heat on fast with this one, and I agree, Tats is pretty vicious on the PCE, much harder than the PCB even :/

Kaioh

Sakura's Bank Manager

I'm also sad to see someone say this. I love the Raiden series. I really wished they'd put Raiden Project and/or DX for download on PSN.

I wasn't a fan of Raiden III though. However, I bought Raiden IV for Xbox 360 last weekend and have really been enjoying it.
Definitely one of the harder shooters I've played in a long time.
It's very similar to Raiden III, so I might have to track down a cheap copy of III and give it another chance!

Neko

n00b
I really loved Raiden Trad for MD and the Raiden Project. The latter was especially a near-perfect arcade port. With that being said... I've never gone past the fifth stage =.=

Recca is another evil shmup. Just... evil. Like ship hell instead of bullet hell.

I'm glad it wasn't just me that thought Tatsujin on the PCE was way too tough. I like tough, but that was just not fun.

Gun Nac and MUSHA are two shooters that I was really excited to try... and they let me down. Compile does impressive sprite work, great music.... and absolutely no difficulty. I'd rather own a MUSHA soundtrack than the actual game. Why play a shooter with no scoring system if you know for a fact you are going to 1cc it?

Freakin cleared Gun Nac on my first credit ever. MUSHA took like 3.

Last edited:

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
I really hate Radiant Silvergun. I don't understand the love for Treasure as a whole, I think they take decent ideas and over-complicate them.

Last edited:

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I really not a fan of the Star Soldier series on PC Engine either... I'm like - "meh". Just cannot get into them... nor Gate of Thunder :(

J. Max

judas,
Choainiki. I can't believe no one has mentioned this horrible turd of a game. I could accept the gay theme, but that's all the game has going for it...if it had spaceships instead of guys with thongs, no one would care.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Choainiki. I can't believe no one has mentioned this horrible turd of a game. I could accept the gay theme, but that's all the game has going for it...if it had spaceships instead of guys with thongs, no one would care.

I don't mind Cho Aniki, but I can agree that it's not the best game out there. It is repetitious and doesn't really stand out on its own (barring the beefcake theme).

Another game I'd like to add to my list is Otomedius Excellent. I'm not a huge fan of Gradius, but I do enjoy them from time to time. I'm not feeling the theme and the game seems boring as hell when it comes to scoring.

As for on the Neo, Aero Fighters 3 also seems boring as well.

J. Max

judas,
I don't mind Cho Aniki, but I can agree that it's not the best game out there. It is repetitious and doesn't really stand out on its own (barring the beefcake theme).

Another game I'd like to add to my list is Otomedius Excellent. I'm not a huge fan of Gradius, but I do enjoy them from time to time. I'm not feeling the theme and the game seems boring as hell when it comes to scoring.

As for on the Neo, Aero Fighters 3 also seems boring as well.

I just got Otomedius Excellent, and I'm inclined to agree...

Fortune

Zero's Secretary
While I've certainly played many technically worse games.

I think I have to add Thunder Spirits to this list.

Thunder Force III is one of my all-time favorite games of any genre, and Thunder Spirits is a horrible perversion of it.

The pacing of the game is off.
Autofire was removed.
There is no start level select.
The graphical changes that were done look worse than the original, and the music is inferior as well.

Not the worst game, but certainly a disappointment.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
I really not a fan of the Star Soldier series on PC Engine either... I'm like - "meh". Just cannot get into them... nor Gate of Thunder :(

You are missing out on some quality caravan shooting there... definitely worth a revisit.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
While I've certainly played many technically worse games.

I think I have to add Thunder Spirits to this list.

Thunder Force III is one of my all-time favorite games of any genre, and Thunder Spirits is a horrible perversion of it.

The pacing of the game is off.
Autofire was removed.
There is no start level select.
The graphical changes that were done look worse than the original, and the music is inferior as well.

Not the worst game, but certainly a disappointment.

Agree, Thunder Spirits is dreadful... the ThunderForce series on MD still is one of my favourites... got the Thunder Force AC PCB last year.. simply awesoem having it in my cab.