What Shooter/Shmup do you despise the most?

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
so then you're constantly bombing?

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I thought bombing did that.

Anyway I just wait to get a special power up right away and blast the shit out of everything. I dont even worry about rank cause it is inevitable.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
It does; just that i've found that Rosecracker + chargeshot/bombing thru bullets has me dying the least.

Ymmv.

I've given up on 1ccing this ATM; loving Pork Matsuri Mode for my sweets fix.

Erm, back on topic: still hating that Gradius.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I'm w/ you on this. Matter of fact, any STG that I have to worry about the environment killing me gets down vote.

Dodging bullets & baddies is bad enough...just to have bumping into a rock kill you?

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Love ya scoops; however, plz see above...

Maybe I'm just doing it wrong?

STG meetup on group buy pick up day @ nlvideogames, & you can show me the G ropes!

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
probably Curse for the Sega Mega Drive, I dont know what Micronet was thinking, but everything about that game is trash. Music, Art, Speed.....utter garbage :/
other than that I can at least play just about any old shmup...

Curse is a lot of fun. Don't let level 1 put you off.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Holy Shit!

I've died just that way, on the Easter Island heads...& it broke my spirit. Just couldn't stay withit, after loosing my firepower.

RESPECT!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Great comeback on the Easter and final stages!

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
otomedius excellent on the xbox 360.

the graphics are horrible - the backgrounds are nice but the enemy graphics are just low res polygon blocks.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
People who don't like Gradius I'm guessing missed out on the whole 80's shmup scene.. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's the only explanation I can think of.

Perhaps, but I have to say I first played Nemesis (aka Gradius), back in late '86 and didn't like it then, nor do I now.

Who mentioned Zaxxon?? Zaxxon was fucking ace back in the day (I would imagine it's not aged well...) as was Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom :D

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
earth defense force on SNES. probably the blandest shooter i've ever played.

Kaioh

Sakura's Bank Manager
About 3 years ago I started back collecting SNES games. I went on a buying spree at local pawn shops and mom & pop game stores.

Worst shooter I've bought for that system has to be D-Force. It's such a dull and boring game.

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
Perhaps, but I have to say I first played Nemesis (aka Gradius), back in late '86 and didn't like it then, nor do I now.

Who mentioned Zaxxon?? Zaxxon was fucking ace back in the day (I would imagine it's not aged well...) as was Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom :D

Zaxxon was amazing... even on the Colecovision ;)

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
It's a tie between Pulstar and Last Hope. Purely due to difficulty.....and I suck at them.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Last Hope,

I got a copy for $30.00 USD for NEO GEO CD. I stopped after 20 minutes.

Graphics - C-
Gameplay - D
Replay Value - Nonexistent

The issue was really the controllers and the graphics, which is basically 99% of the game, maybe I was expecting too much from it. I want a quality shooter from a copy who is directly making "shooter" games.

Anyone else have issues?

Wynd

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Worst shooter I've bought for that system has to be D-Force. It's such a dull and boring game.
DEFINITELY...
I was at a game expo in the UK last year and mate of mine spotted the SFC version (loose) and said "get that! I used to love it as a kid".

Consequently, I don't think he enjoyed his D-Force sandwich. Much.

Last Hope, [...]

Anyone else have issues?

Wynd
YEAH. I HAD ISSUES...
pretty much with everything you've already addressed. There's no real excuse to make a shooter in the modern day so painful to play. Slow starting speed, no auto fire (tendonitis isn't fun... anymore), poor starting power, unfun 'satellite' attachment (preferred how Last Resort did this feature), not mad-keen on the music either (sorry Mr Dyll) and not a fan of the game design/artstyle. i also played it for a while and then shelved it, indefinitely. One of those games you'll put on 'again' in the future, just to see if your thoughts have changed, and...

No.

I did buy PBullets though AND it was an improvement. Hated the fact they switched the level order around though. Can't get used to that. Much better than the original, but still very much a 6/10 shooter imo.

Funny. No one's mentioned DUX... yet. (oh)

--------------------

ANYWAY, AS FOR MY CONTRIBUTION...
to this thread, I'd plump for the likes of GigaWing Generations on the PS2. This game = the maximum level of disappoint possible.

Initially, I thought it was a tidy compilation of GW & GW2 for PS2 (much like the Psikyo collections) but I later found out it wasn't, and that it was in fact a GW3 of sorts! Pretty exciting right?

Wrong.

The graphical style is dogsh*t compared to the previous 2 outings, not too mention all the style from the first games is missing too. Just no effort in general to be honest. The special attacks border on disgusting, aesthetically and let's not forget the frame... 'rate' (i.e. painful).

So, not only does this disappoint to an unperceivable maximum, it manages to look and play like a built-in shmup you would find in a Vodafone Samsung 1st gen colour clamshell mobile from 'back in the day'. Heard the Type-X original is 'better' though (in it's limited defence).

OTHER NOTEWORTHY ADDITIONS...
would include (in my experience)

SkullFang (Saturn) - fall asleep everytime I play this game. No sarcasm btw. Actual sleep, pad in hand.
Star Soldier (PS2) - looks like a joke. Didn't laugh though. Only permits use of controllers with analog functionality :rolleyes:
Strike Force Hydra (PS1) - if you had no idea this existed, I can only apologise for bringing it to your attention

And, to go a bit 'blanket' on the whole subject, I don't like cute 'em ups (I said it) save Game Paradise and... I can 'do' Cotton... just.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Pretty much any shmup on the SNES.

I can literally count on one hand the number of good shmups on the SNES.